PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots sign LB Jonathan Freeny to 2-year extension

Status
Not open for further replies.
So is it a legitimate strategy to call the player in right before cut down and tell him they're evaluating his value to the team and he increases it by binding himself to a risk free club friendly second year? I assume that's what this is about.

Freeny's biggest problem seems to be that he's usually a half step behind where he needs to be, which I think is largely just a function of not enough playing time. He was a DE at Rutgers, and he's changing positions and doing pretty decently. I don't think he's a finished player, by any means, and he still has room to grow and improve.

He also is a lot more athletic than most people realize. He put up better testing numbers than Hightower, who is remarkably fast and explosive for his size. Freeny may surprise this year. I'm glad he's around as a backup. We've had far worse backups at LB (Eric Alexander, Gary Guyton, Pierre Woods, etc).

image.png

I'm not a fan, and you can tell from my post on the game. I was hoping one of the younger LB's were going to take his spot this season. Clearly BB disagrees with me. ;) , and I bow to his better judgement. He obviously has a LOT more evidence on which to base his judgement on.

I haven't focused on Freeney enough to be definitive on this, but my sense is he isn't that good of a player. I was questioning whether or not he'd make the 53--seems like he will.

He's inconsistently serviceable.

Confusing.

"Jonathan's a very dependable player," Patriots coach Bill Belichick said in a Saturday media conference. "He's able to do a lot of different roles for us. He can play inside and outside, on the line of scrimmage and off the ball, defensively. He's been a very valuable player for us in the kicking game, obviously with some size. So a four-phase, special teams player... Everyone in the organization looks up to him."

Patriots sign Jonathan Freeny to 2-year extension

Pfffft.....what does this guy know about football players anyways. :rolleyes:

Sooooooo....he can be serviceable in 4 or 5 different roles.......Hmmmmmmmmmmmm

I guess that does increase his value to BB...if he stays healthy..otherwise there is a hole in 4 or 5 positions :cool:

Meh, I'm pretty indifferent about him. I don't think too lowly or too highly of him either.

I'm just pissed because OF COURSE we extend this LB first. :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back