PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots Sign Demaryius Thomas

Status
Not open for further replies.
I get the feeling we are going to see Gordon's return sooner rather than later....but that's just a feeling based on nothing....so lets run with it.

Getting him reinstated in time for camp pending whatever suspension will land would be the best of all scenarios.

From a football perspective to get him into proper shape and him being there for the installs instead of playing catchup every week as well as from a personal point of view. I always thought that the most dangerous phase for Gordon in the offseason would be the one once camps start and he has to watch everything from the outside.

We've heard that Gordon is done forever. We've heard Gordon could be cleared to go by TC. We've heard everything in between.

So, what's the truth here. I HAVE to believe that the Pats, at least. have an idea of what's going on in that warped evil mind of the commissioner. I wonder why some intrepid reporter hasn't wrangled some more definitive info on the subject. Though looking at the manner the Pats have run their WR off season, I get the feeling we are going to see Gordon's return sooner rather than later....but that's just a feeling based on nothing....so lets run with it. ;)

The question isn’t whether Gordon returns it is how long will it be before he slips up and gets suspended again. They may get some production out of him but they will never be able to count on him.

I assume when we get the real numbers this will be a low risk/high reward signing with low guarantees and plenty of performance escalators.

If nothing else this takes a little pressure off in the draft, but we still need to commit a high draft pick at WR.

Don't love Thomas as a player but I don't think anyone can hate the signing given the need at the position.

The question isn’t whether Gordon returns it is how long will it be before he slips up and gets suspended again. They may get some production out of him but they will never be able to count on him.

Sounds exactly like something someone would say about Gronk and injuries every offseason.

Good deal for all parties involved. I imagine that $6m cap hit will be a lot of incentives and playing time for him to be able to earn that. Will be interesting to see the contract structure once it’s reported

With Gronk and Allen gone, and with the state of the WRs, I wonder if the Patriots have given any thought to the idea of gambling heavy on TE/WR in the draft, letting the draftees fight it out with the veterans, and deciding just how heavy they'll go with WR v. TE based upon who shows out during the offseason. It's not as if they can't just dig into previous year's plays to find plenty of plays with 4 WR sets, after all.

It would make the offseason a lot more interesting to follow.

This makes sense, but BB will probably pick an OT, a DT and a safety, then trade out. There’s also last year’s JV, uh, I mean, injured reserve, players to throw in the mix.

This makes sense, but BB will probably pick an OT, a DT and a safety, then trade out. There’s also last year’s JV, uh, I mean, injured reserve, players to throw in the mix.
With 6 out of the top 100 picks (okay, 101), there’s no reason to think they won’t address either/both WR and TE, even if they trade down or into next year.

I’m sure that you’re right and they’ll be some wtf moments as always, but we’re going to get some type of offensive weapon in the first 3 rounds, and I bet we get another in the mid rounds, too. They aren’t going to stumble into the season with a guy on the suspended list, a new guy coming off a serious Achilles injury, and two no-names to pair with Edelman + Dorsett. The tight end position is also left bare with Gronk’s retirement.

Unless, of course, there’s some major trade for a top end player, but I just have a hard time seeing Bill give up a high round pick PLUS the kind of salary that it would take to make that happen. We’ll see.

Sounds exactly like something someone would say about Gronk and injuries every offseason.

Slight difference between getting injured and getting suspended every season. But you can see it any way you want.

Nothing to lose ... like the signing ... like going into the draft with all options available ... use veteran cuts to sign what we cannot draft.

My profound and well thought out opinion on this signing is that he will be a "bridge player" to help tutor the younger WR's he Pats are drafting in 9 days from now..

From what I read it is a low risk, possible reward signing..

OT, a DT, a safety, a TE and a late round WR (I'd be thrilled with Deebo Samuel or Hunter Renfrow) coupled with a few trades for depth and I think we're fine for next season.

I will continue to fantasize about Gronk coming back from retirement for one last SB run last next season.

Signing both Demaryius Thomas and Seferian-Jenkins is, unfortunately, an indication of just how bad the situation at WR and TE is for the Pats. If either or both of them can stay on the field and live up to their full potential, It is a great move. At least the contracts are short, low risk and not too costly.
My assumption is they are depth pieces.

Pats will be drafting/trading at both positions. Bank on it.

How high/low is clearly the question.

I'm betting when the Miguel gets the info on this contract, the signing bonus will be under a Million and only 2 will be guaranteed and he will have make the team before he get that.

I don't see a single downside for this trade.

The Pats signed a WR for 6 million. This proves they were never against the cap:)

The downside would be you are wrong on the guaranteed money, but I think you are close.

It's all risk/reward, not whether some media guy or forum poster thinks DT's lost a step and can't get separation.

Watching Thomas is like watching Manning at the end of his career, he’s done. He can’t get separation and Brady hates throwing to receivers who are covered. I’m fine with brining anyone in but if they are counting on him it’s another story. Slow and as soft as they get.

Brady makes plenty of throws to covered receivers. Gronk up the seam in double coverage. Back shoulder to Gordon. Firing into tiny windows to Edelman. That's just last season -- we could pull up examples of Amendola or jump balls to Moss, etc. The theme is whether or not he trusts the player to make a play. Brady is crafty and usually calculating, but he's more about winning than simply being risk averse.

Even in the super bowl, Brady threw to Hogan when covered; the complaints we saw regarded Hogan's lack of separation, but the real problem was the inability to make the contested catch. If Thomas can do that for one season, then that's really all we need until rookies develop or there's another foray into free agency next year.

Thomas has history with McDaniel's offense, great size, and stellar production throughout his career. As long as he and Brady are on the same page, I'm not all that worried about separation.

The Pats signed a WR for 6 million. This proves they were never against the cap:)

The downside would be you are wrong on the guaranteed money, but I think you are close.

It's all risk/reward, not whether some media guy or forum poster thinks DT's lost a step and can't get separation.

I bet you he did not cost 1/2 of that. Probably a vet min BS + 500k-1M SB + roster + incentives.

Slight difference between getting injured and getting suspended every season. But you can see it any way you want.

Yeah one is an accident the other self imposed by the player but the bottomline is the same. Both could miss time / be gone for the rest of the season from one week to the other.

And the bottomline is the only thing that matters for the coaching staff.

Thomas has history with McDaniel's offense, great size, and stellar production throughout his career. As long as he and Brady are on the same page, I'm not all that worried about separation.

DT will win with route running, veteran wit and his size at this point of his career. If anyone expects game changing separation or explosiveness they would have been disappointed even before his injury.

I need to go look this guy up and come back and I’ll have like two questions.

I watched some highlights, the guy seems like a good receiver. Kind of reminds me of cordorell but with an ability to catch

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST