PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots show interest in KC defensive end Jared Allen

Status
Not open for further replies.
The price required, first in picks, then in dollars seems like a very high risk for a guy whose next off the field slip up is probably going to get him suspended for a long time.

On another note, everyone needs to take mention of Patriots interest in players with a huge grain of salt. Teams/Agents looking to stir interest in their players love to float the Pats name out there. Since the Pats do not talk to the press, they can float it without fear of denial. Rosenhaus started this with McGahee and others have followed suit. Pacman Jones agent has tried to do it this year which actually resulted in a very rare situation where the Pats denied it to Reiss.

Allen allegedly wants a Freeney type deal... 6/72 with $ 30 mill guaranteed.

How will this compare to the # 7 slot salary expectation?

I was just researching that over on the draft forum where Miguel showed in the draftee contracts thread a comparison of AD to AP(Peterson). The difference is the bonus money vets demand and get up front versus backloaded salary and escalator clauses the rookies take to make the deal sound bigger than it ever reasonably may be. If they meet or exceed expectations they generally demand and get a new deal 4-5 years in to avoid the colision of already backloaded salary and escalators.

Allen would certainly want the Freeney deal. That would likely nearly triple the bonus or guarantees a draftee will see at #7. Peterson appears to have gotten around $10M in signing/roster and option bonus on his $40M escalator laden deal. He's apparently already achieved sufficiently to void his 6th year and if he achieves all his escalators his 5th year salary jumps to double digits. But between now and then (first 4 seasons) his cap hits are $2M+. By comparison, Freeney's cap hits for the 6 years of his deal are $5.75, $5.75, $11.22, $13.68, $16.13 and $19.47...

Per Pioli a team can only have so many players in the top 5 contract wise, let alone at the very top for their position. The Colts currently have 6 of those. We have none. We have 3 who are in the top 5, one of whom needs an extension soon (Brady). Another (Seymour) would likely be gone soon if we added Allen on a Freeney like deal and extending Wilfork to a team friendly deal thereafter would become a pipe dream.

I was just researching that over on the draft forum where Miguel showed in the draftee contracts thread a comparison of AD to AP(Peterson). The difference is the bonus money vets demand and get up front versus backloaded salary and escalator clauses the rookies take to make the deal sound bigger than it ever reasonably may be. If they meet or exceed expectations they generally demand and get a new deal 4-5 years in to avoid the colision of already backloaded salary and escalators.

Allen would certainly want the Freeney deal. That would likely nearly triple the bonus or guarantees a draftee will see at #7. Peterson appears to have gotten around $10M in signing/roster and option bonus on his $40M escalator laden deal. He's apparently already achieved sufficiently to void his 6th year and if he achieves all his escalators his 5th year salary jumps to double digits. But between now and then (first 4 seasons) his cap hits are $2M+. By comparison, Freeney's cap hits for the 6 years of his deal are $5.75, $5.75, $11.22, $13.68, $16.13 and $19.47...

Per Pioli a team can only have so many players in the top 5 contract wise, let alone at the very top for their position. The Colts currently have 6 of those. We have none. We have 3 who are in the top 5, one of whom needs an extension soon (Brady). Another (Seymour) would likely be gone soon if we added Allen on a Freeney like deal and extending Wilfork to a team friendly deal thereafter would become a pipe dream.

Your figures for Peterson's contract are a little off - he is guaranteed $17 million. From what I have gathered, Peterson also has roughly $14 million in incentives.

His contract, I believe, is only capable of being worth slightly under forty mill now, because of the voidable year, but for him to make that much he has to become the greatest running back ever; six million is tied to him gaining 2,000 yards and 20+ TDs, consecutively and concurrently, from 2008 to 2010. As Bears General Manager Jerry Angelo said, "[If Peterson met all incentives] t would be a win-win situation for the Vikings and for Adrian Peterson."

The seventh pick in the draft is going to have the better contract (read: cheaper) no matter what, but Allen has already proven to be an excellent NFL player and the draft pick is a gamble. I think it'd be hard to pay a Dwight Freeney type contract to any player (except Tom Brady) but I also think Jared Allen would be worth it more than Dwight Freeney. He would also, unlike a rookie, come in immediately and put up Pro Bowl calibre numbers as a starter. Allen's impact would be immediate and for the first four years (at least in my opinion) would be worth every penny of his contract, whereas a rookie would have a transition and would probably not produce as much as JA.

The seventh pick in the draft is also worth significantly more than any two pick combination the Vikings are capable of packaging to get Allen with the difference being a mid-to-late second rounder (if you want to go by the trade value chart). It's most definitely worth more than their 17th (950) and either one of their thirds (the 73rd is worth 225), so I may try to get something else out of the Chiefs (maybe a swap of picks in the third round, our third, not the one from Oakland).

It's tricky bidness, this here armchair GMing... makes me glad I don't have to do the real thing.

I just checked KC 810 Sports Radio website and found NOTHING regarding the Patriots interest in Allen

This isn't just another imaginary story/thread to spice up the Patriots main forum with big name players and alleged interest in them is it? - If it isn't then its probably just some blowhard radio guy trying to get a rise out of the listeners down there

QUOTE]

Why would I make this up? I just was passing on what I HEARD the 2 guys on the radio were talking about, and I never said what level of interest the PAtriots had given. I merely told you what I heard, not what I read on their website. The 2 guys had talked about what minny had offered and then said they thought they could get more from minny because Tampa and the Patriots were showing interest as well.

Has Allen ever played in a two gap system? Just because he is such a success as a 4-3 DE doesn't automatically translate to playing OLB for a 3-4. Thats a risk in itself, plus the fact that he has drinking and driving problems makes me think he is a bigger risk than people would like. If he didn't want a big contract and was willing to take a pay cut to play for a winner then I could see us maybe taking the risk and losing the first round pick, but add having to pay big bucks who for a guy who might end up being a situational player and it just sounds like too many "ifs" for me to be comfortable with it.

We don't own any of the 49ers picks for next year, so who cares?

I am aware of that, but just to prove that the 49ers had problems in keeping thier top offensive players healthy in 2007 and when your starting QB and starting RB are out for weeks at a time you cannot expect a spectacular record,I dont care what team you are - this was primarily directed towards BelichickFan who obviously drags pro-con topics on from over a year ago,I think thats sad.

When the Pats bring in Allen for negotiations, I will then ponder this story. The Pats seem to be tied to a lot of trades and free agents that never happen. Agents throw out the Pats name a lot probably because they do not comment on players they or may not be interested in.

If Allen isn't a Viking by next Saturday, I will be surprised.

When the Pats bring in Allen for negotiations, I will then ponder this story. The Pats seem to be tied to a lot of trades and free agents that never happen. Agents throw out the Pats name a lot probably because they do not comment on players they or may not be interested in.

If Allen isn't a Viking by next Saturday, I will be surprised.

I think Allen will be a Buccaneer since they have more cap room I believe and can pay that contract which is gonna be a high asking price

I think Allen will be a Buccaneer since they have more cap room I believe and can pay that contract which is gonna be a high asking price

I believe Philly's interested too as well. Plus they have some leverage if they want to trade, as well as cap room.

I am aware of that, but just to prove that the 49ers had problems in keeping thier top offensive players healthy in 2007 and when your starting QB and starting RB are out for weeks at a time you cannot expect a spectacular record,I dont care what team you are - this was primarily directed towards BelichickFan who obviously drags pro-con topics on from over a year ago,I think thats sad.

I also thought they would have a better record than they did, but I'm happy with the way it turned out. I hope we trade for an extra day 1 pick for next year and that teams starting QB and RB or other key starters go down. Or just pick on Oakland again.

Give me a break, Alex Smith sucked. You just like to pick on the board, you are what you are, I just wanted to make sure people put your dumb comment in context.

I agree with a previous poster, if I'm giving up the #7 overall pick AND I have to fork out a huge contract, I'd rather trade for Suggs than a guy full of red flags and character issues like Allen.

I'm not saying this is going to happen (I actually think it won't), but can some of you guys think a little less traditional?

In other words, why would Allen's addition automatically mean AD's going back to ILB? AD rotating with Vrabel at OLB, or Allen playing more downs, with Vrabel rotating in at OLB would make some sense, too. Also, it's not like the Patriots can't add another ILB to the roster, and they've already got Bruschi and Hobson to help out there. If anything it would make AD's rotating in and out at both ILB and OLB a more realistic option, because he's currently their best (or second best) OLB, and they need to add solid depth at the position. Hobson can play OLB, but i think the Patriots are planning to use him more at ILB (seems Hobson agrees).

And that is not even mentioning the (albeit strange) possibility that they go to a heavy 3-3-5 (Safety/CB/LB hybrid as the 5th DB.)

My brother's doctor's broker's attorney's cousin's mistress knows Jared Allen, and she pretty much confirmed this TS's post.

Does this count too?:p

In the offseason, yes. Seriously, just as long as you mention the source so I can decide on its veracity myself.

Give me a break, Alex Smith sucked. You just like to pick on the board, you are what you are, I just wanted to make sure people put your dumb comment in context.

You know your responses to my posts are beyond funny and pathetic,Its almost near laughable :rofl:

Thanks for making my night,now please come up with more stuff to REALLY insult me (Patriot64 flicks his shoulder off of BF comments as if flakes of dandruff were on it)..hahaha

This thread's just getting weird.

I also read somewhere else that after all of his alcohol issues, this guy now OWNS A BAR. I'd steer clear of him if I were the Pats or anyone else. He may be one more DUI away from a year long vacation.....

He would be better off hiring a butler/DD for what he will make.

It would be actually a smart investment.

You know your responses to my posts are beyond funny and pathetic,Its almost near laughable :rofl:

Thanks for making my night,now please come up with more stuff to REALLY insult me (Patriot64 flicks his shoulder off of BF comments as if flakes of dandruff were on it)..hahaha

Yawn. Give it up. BF def deserves props for his Niners' commentary - he was one of the few on here that realized that the team actually sucked in 06, and would suck again in 07. I was not as optimistic as he was about where our draft pick would be, and I was off, and he was definitely right on.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore