PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots returning after opting out [Update: All 8 players will return]

Old, expensive and haven't played a game in a year and half by the time they play the next one.

Not as life changing as people want to make it out to be, Cannon $9.26m at 33, Chung $5.13m at 34 and Hightower $11.32m at 31.

The $63 million in CAP space estimated for the Pats includes the assumption that all 8 come back.

Regarding their cap hits, extending Hightower and Cannon a year would help with that considerably. Also, with older players (and HT and Cannon aren't THAT old, sheesh), a year off might prove a good thing, as long as they continued working out, which I'm sure these two did.

Chung isn't expensive. BB loves him and he's a leader on the field. they need vets to teach the many young guys like Dugger.

Chung will have the biggest impact. We severely missed his physicality and attitude at strong safety

The $63 million in CAP space estimated for the Pats includes the assumption that all 8 come back.

Regarding their cap hits, extending Hightower and Cannon a year would help with that considerably. Also, with older players (and HT and Cannon aren't THAT old, sheesh), a year off might prove a good thing, as long as they continued working out, which I'm sure these two did.

Chung isn't expensive. BB loves him and he's a leader on the field. they need vets to teach the many young guys like Dugger.
Extending Cannon would really dent the cap. Would not mind extending Hightower though because there's a big dead cap hit in cutting him. With Cannon, we can save $7.5m or so by cutting him.

This is good news. I assume we keep them all and look to restructure them.

If even one of these three comes back and plays close to what they're capable of, it's a "free" upgrade to this roster. My preference would be Hightower because man did the linebackers look night and day last year from 2019, and even with him I want some upgrades (both new signings and progress from the youngsters) in that group.

After that, as much as I love Chung and want him back, I think Cannon would have the biggest impact. With potentially losing Thuney, Cannon being back and playing well at RT would allow us to use Onwenu at LG and still be solid on the OL.

Chung also helps, don't get me wrong. But I liked what we saw from Phillips last year, and I expect Dugger to have an expanded role in year two with a proper offseason, so I'm not sure Chung would be getting a ton of snaps when everyone is healthy.

Welcome back 3 key multiple championship contributors. Still remains to be seen if the can make it all the way back to the field not a huge if but an if no the less.

This is nothing but a positive for the team.

- Hightower, baby!!!! So happy he's coming back. He'll fix a lot of problems in the front 7....one of the best Patriots ever in the BB era.

- Chung, baby!!! So, happy he's coming back...he adds great depth at safety. Can only help the young pups out!

- Cannon, baby!!! It gives us competition at RT....and possibly could help us slide Onwenu inside if he looks like the Cannon of old....if not, more cap $$$ for us.

And what about Vitale, LaCosse, and the others? I know Bolden is back too.....(great RB depth and ST'er)

The biggest difference between the 2019 and 2020 defense was Hightower. It seemed like he was kind of worn down last time we saw him on the field, so hopefully he proves me wrong like he did in 2018 when I voiced similar concerns about his decline.

And what about Vitale, LaCosse, and the others? I know Bolden is back too.....(great RB depth and ST'er)
Reiss about a month ago:

[Marqise Lee] plans to learn more about NFL plans but seems to be trending toward playing in 2021. Among the others, running back Brandon Bolden has said he plans to play. My hunch is that safety Patrick Chung, tight end Matt LaCosse and fullback Danny Vitale make the same decision, while in my opinion, offensive tackle Marcus Cannon and linebacker Dont'a Hightower are less of a certainty to return.

Bolden is definitely a plus, because he's a full time ST ace while still being serviceable as both a running RB and a receiving RB depending on who's hurt.

I'm less excited for Vitale because A) We've never seen him play, so we never had a chance to even see if he makes the team last year, and B) I liked what we got out of Johnson in 2020, so a FB isn't a huge need on this team. But depending on his role, it's a plus having him as competition no doubt.

LaCosse doesn't excite me because he's another low ceiling TE who got hurt throughout 2019. I just never really saw much from him that gave me hope he would contribute. But hey, our TE group has some... room for improvement, we'll say, so if he's got some hidden talent in there, he'll have opportunities to show it.

The biggest difference between the 2019 and 2020 defense was Hightower. It seemed like he was kind of worn down last time we saw him on the field, so hopefully he proves me wrong like he did in 2018 when I voiced similar concerns about his decline.
It was the loss of ALL of LBs. We lost 3 starters to FA. We could have absorbed Hightower if we didn't lose everyone else.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Back