PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots returning after opting out [Update: All 8 players will return]

Bolden is definitely a plus, because he's a full time ST ace while still being serviceable as both a running RB and a receiving RB depending on who's hurt.

I'm less excited for Vitale because A) We've never seen him play, so we never had a chance to even see if he makes the team last year, and B) I liked what we got out of Johnson in 2020, so a FB isn't a huge need on this team. But depending on his role, it's a plus having him as competition no doubt.

LaCosse doesn't excite me because he's another low ceiling TE who got hurt throughout 2019. I just never really saw much from him that gave me hope he would contribute. But hey, our TE group has some... room for improvement, we'll say, so if he's got some hidden talent in there, he'll have opportunities to show it.

I was excited about Vitale because he brings hands that Johnson doesn't have...yet.

As for LaCosse...yeah I hear you man....but he's a LIVE BODY at TE. Shameful how far we have fallen in this area that I get excited about any TE with a PULSE! And I even like Izzo better....

As for Bolden, I love ST'ers that also double as back ups at other positions....gives us a lot of roster flexibility.

Extending Cannon would really dent the cap. Would not mind extending Hightower though because there's a big dead cap hit in cutting him. With Cannon, we can save $7.5m or so by cutting him.
I didn't even realize that Cannon had two years left on his deal.

If he's anything like Marcus Cannon, 7.5 ain't a bank-breaking amount. He is, or was at least, a fantastic right tackle. Thrilled that he's back.

Good news, all three can help, especially Hightower!! I think Cannon's salary is a little high, but if we can solidify that RT spot which was the biggest weakness on the line last year, that would go a long way in keeping our QB protected. Oh, and keeping Wynn healthy as well.

I was excited about Vitale because he brings hands that Johnson doesn't have...yet.

As for LaCosse...yeah I hear you man....but he's a LIVE BODY at TE. Shameful how far we have fallen in this area that I get excited about any TE with a PULSE! And I even like Izzo better....

As for Bolden, I love ST'ers that also double as back ups at other positions....gives us a lot of roster flexibility.
Vitale is too small for a FB. Jakob is a monster.

Reiss about a month ago:

[Marqise Lee] plans to learn more about NFL plans but seems to be trending toward playing in 2021. Among the others, running back Brandon Bolden has said he plans to play. My hunch is that safety Patrick Chung, tight end Matt LaCosse and fullback Danny Vitale make the same decision, while in my opinion, offensive tackle Marcus Cannon and linebacker Dont'a Hightower are less of a certainty to return.

Lee was one of our underrated signings. I was disappointed not to see him play last season. He's not the top, #1 alpha we're looking for, but he's a very solid #2 type who can play all across the formation.

Nate Solder also opted out last year for the Giants. He says he is coming back in 2021, which means he is going to get cut. So there is another potential OL tackle for the Patriots.

Can ANY one of them play behind Center?

Vitale is too small for a FB. Jakob is a monster.
240 isn't that small, but yeah, Johnson is a monster.

Vitale is an easy and cheap cut - 100k guaranteed only. But don't sleep on him.

Last edited:
Its great news , will it take them a period to get up to game speed ? I would expect they have been on an NFL fitness schedule etc etc. Will make a big difference if they are all good to go.

240 isn't that small, but yeah, Johnson is a monster.

Vitale is an easy and cheap cut - 100k guaranteed only. But don't sleep on him.
I'm not high on him. Hope i'm wrong.

Nate Solder also opted out last year for the Giants. He says he is coming back in 2021, which means he is going to get cut. So there is another potential OL tackle for the Patriots.
His play was more often than not disguised by Brady's quick release. Solder was chasing DE's even on quick throws. It's unfortunate Wynn can't stay healthy as he's way better. He's also more talented than Matt Light.

• Agree
Reactions: jah
It was the loss of ALL of LBs. We lost 3 starters to FA. We could have absorbed Hightower if we didn't lose everyone else.

I think we would have still been complaining, perhaps to a slightly lesser extent, if Roberts and Collins were out there guessing wrong on plays like they had a tendency of doing. Van Noy was a tough loss but I consider him more of an edge player. I believe Hightower's impact is greater than the combination of Roberts and Collins.

Can someone refresh my memory? I don't remember Cannon being very good during his last season with the Pats. I was expecting that the Pats cut him, but with people on the board excited to have him back I'm questioning my memory.

Hightower back will really help the defense but I would still like to see another starting caliber LB added in free agency or the draft. If New England can retool the defensive line they really don't have many needs on defense.

His salary is 10m and his cap hit for the Giants is 16.5m. so they save 10m by cutting him.

Hightower might be useful, if he can get back to form. I have no idea why we need Cannon or Chung. Do we not already have a bunch of tackles and safeties on the roster? I am not saying Cannon or Chung are bad players or weren't big part of our championship history, but at their age and pay, we don't need them back. Why pay well above market dollar to aging players when we already have guys on minimum contracts who can pretty much do their jobs?

I didn't even realize that Cannon had two years left on his deal.

If he's anything like Marcus Cannon, 7.5 ain't a bank-breaking amount. He is, or was at least, a fantastic right tackle. Thrilled that he's back.
$7.5m is the dead cap hit.
His cap hit if retained is closer to $10m.

Extending Cannon would really dent the cap. .
Dent means decrease our cap hit? That's what would happen to the 2021 cap with an extension.

Dent means decrease our cap hit? That's what would happen to the 2021 cap with an extension.
I know an extension would do that but when you have huge cap savings by cutting him, you have to look at that. Extensions are usually used when the dead cap hit on a player is considerable so it makes no sense to cut him. With Cannon this isn't the case.

Not to mention his poor play in his last season, and then we're also talking about the effect of taking a year off from football.

Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Back