PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Content Post Patriots Restructure Judon

This has an opening post with good commentary and information, which we definitely recommend reading.
Some incentives do indeed hit this year's cap. For example, I believe game incentives do.

They probably could have skated by with the amount they had before, so creating a couple million in room makes me think they have some very minor moves in mind. Judon's contract was ripe for a restructure for easy cap money since it's so salary-heavy, they could probably do it again in '23 if they wanted to.
They would've run out of cap space by Dec 17th (per Miguel). It's a minor restructure so it's simply to keep the game day player incentives going for this year.

I was wondering why they hadn't restructured Judon's contract before instead of all the minor ones they've done with other players. I think it's obvious Judon isn't willing to agree to a large restructure w/o getting paid. He's obviously looking for a huge extension.

I was wondering why they hadn't restructured Judon's contract before instead of all the minor ones they've done with other players. I think it's obvious Judon isn't willing to agree to a large restructure w/o getting paid. He's obviously looking for a huge extension.
Restructures have no effect on compensation, or length of contract. I'm not sure what it even means to agree to a large restructure. In a restructure, the player simply gets some of his compensation up front.

I was wondering why they hadn't restructured Judon's contract before instead of all the minor ones they've done with other players. I think it's obvious Judon isn't willing to agree to a large restructure w/o getting paid. He's obviously looking for a hug
The Judon contract provided the possibility for a relatively large savings through restructure. It was available if Belichick had need for the cap room.

Restructures have no effect on compensation, or length of contract. I'm not sure what it even means to agree to a large restructure. In a restructure, the player simply gets some of his compensation up front.
Player still needs to agree. Pats can't just restructure a players contract w/o his agreement.

No big deal here, needed the $ for issues that will inevitably Pop up b4 seasons end.

The Judon contract provided the possibility for a relatively large savings through restructure. It was available if Belichick had need for the cap room.
Obviously not.

Bill: Hey MJ we need to free up some cap space, how about we restructure your contract & you get money up front as a bonus.
MJ: Sure but I want an increase in my salary.
Bill: we're not there yet. We'll deal with that next season.
MJ: OK, no then.
Bill: Come on we could really use the space. How bout we just use $3.3M for now.
MJ: OK fine but I'm looking for a f*cking raise. Capisce.

Player still needs to agree. Pats can't just restructure a players contract w/o his agreement.
If memory serves, I actually think almost every other team puts in a clause that permits the team to initiate a restructure like this without the player's consent at any time - EXCEPT the Patriots.

I'm not going to question Miguel. Good luck with that.
I don’t think Miguel was saying they would hit this year’s cap (unless I’m misunderstanding him). They may just be trying to account for the incentives now and not have to worry about them later.

Yes, we give the player that courtesy. No one else does.

So, yes, a player can insist on not getting his money earlier. The team will find another way, and have a long memory.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back