PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots releasing retired/reserved OL Jared Veldheer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do not understand.

I do not understand what this means. Does releasing him in this way make him more likely to play? If so, for the Patriots? For another team?

And we had 9 weeks of Newhouse...:confused:

Sounds like he wants to come out of retirement and Bill does not want him.

If he plays a single down for any other team I will consider this a BB blunder simply due to the fact that it is not possible to be worse than Newhouse

Unless maybe it's about money.

If he were to come off the reserve/retired list would the Patriots owe him his pro-rated year (about $1 million with five games left)? With his injury history he may not be worth a million bucks and a roster spot with only a quarter of the regular season to go.

If he were to come off the reserve/retired list would the Patriots owe him his pro-rated year (about $1 million with five games left)? With his injury history he may not be worth a million bucks and a roster spot with only a quarter of the regular season to go.
Exactly so maybe we cut him and sign him to a cheaper prorated deal though I think my first thought is more likely.

Exactly so maybe we cut him and sign him to a cheaper prorated deal though I think my first thought is more likely.

He may be too injured to play but badly needs a paycheck. From the outside looking in we really have no idea what's going on here aside from the fact that the Patriots don't consider him worth the remainder of his contract at this point.

I wouldn’t mind him as a swing tackle. I wonder what the deal is.

So if he had come out of retirement I assume his entire contract would have been valid again and the team would have been on the hook for the entire 1.25m in guaranteed money + whatever prorated amount there is still left in terms of salary and possible game active bonuses.

I can see why they'd rather release him than activate him for 5 games and pay about 2m for that.

BB had planned for him to be a starter this year. If they resign him at an adjusted rate that would be nice.

Yeah, would be nice if they brought him back at a lower rate.

He needs to clear waivers at this time of year, right?

If Veldheer is indeed healthy, we could sign him for the rest of this year and for next year. We need a swing tackle now, and someone to compete in 2020.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes