PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots release Albert Haynesworth

Status
Not open for further replies.
WTF is your point? I'll Take the QB over the coach.... Hopefully with a decent personnel guy. Bill Parcells had a huge imprint on the personnel in the championship years. What has our Bill done in the last 8 years? One shi**y lose to an inferior Giant team.

sorry but you can't outright lie on this board and think you're not going to be challenged...what has BB done in 8 years? He won in Super Bowl 39, February 6th 2005...the year before he beat Philly...that was February 2004....both years are past this 8 year lie you think you can just drop like a bag of dog crap on this board. One more thing, not that it means a whole hell of a lot to me but YOU seem to think going 16-0 in the regular season(NEVER been done before) and losing in the last minute of a Super Bowl is not any kind of accomplishment. That is ludicrous.

I also don't think you get rid of Bodden and Dowling back to back if you don't feel confident in what you have. To that point Adams has looked good, even as a match style corner.
The New England Patriots did not get rid of Dowling. Glass-IR Dowling was placed on injured reserve.

Adams was resurrected from the scrap heap. If Adams is on the New England Patriots roster next season, then the New England Patriots did not significantly improve the defensive secondary.

Goodbye Fat Albert! Don't let the door hit your sizable arse on your way out the door! But, how is this defense going to replace him for the 2-3 plays a game he actually deemed it necessary to exert himself.

lol. Apparently you were ahead of the news cycle on this one.

If Adams is on the New England Patriots roster next season, then the New England Patriots did not significantly improve the defensive secondary.

Why is it so hard for you to understand the concept of special teams players? If Adams is the team's #5 CB next year, is that really a bad sign?

Why is it so hard for you to understand the concept of special teams players? If Adams is the team's #5 CB next year, is that really a bad sign?
Allow me to rephrase, if Adams plays in the defensive secondary for the New England Patriots next season, the New England Patriots have not upgraded the defense.

Allow me to rephrase, if Adams plays in the defensive secondary for the New England Patriots next season, the New England Patriots have not upgraded the defense.

Much better.

No, I'm old enough to not type and drink well......;)
I seriously doubt it. I figure you're the baby in the E-Trade commercials. Nobody knows .......

Some could argue that Brady is the brand. I think Belichick was a huge part of building that brand but brands are organic and subject to shifts depending on various dynamics.

How insightful.

Those dynamics are obviously no longer there as in the early 2000's. Only a lazy brand strategist would fall back on past glory.

By past you mean last season? Let's not forget this chump has coached this team to a winning record this yr. as well. You're right though. they are 0-2 right now.

Those who do not question leadership suffer from Stockhom Syndrome.

Huh?

Leadership is more than x's and o's. It is the ability to lead. For some reason the old Patriot way of being a destination point for those that want to win is changing.

And exactly who told you this? Got some insider vet's out there on speed dial?

A good brand strategist would ask the question: why?

Why would this brand person ask why to something that isn't true?

Do you think it is important to maintain the brand identity of the New Patriots as a team that potential high impact free agents would want to play for?

I think if I'm a "brand strategist" I want to keep my stadium sold out and just win. Prize free agents sign with ****ty teams every yr. I don't understand where you are going with this.

If so, do you think the Patriots still maintain that image?

We are in the hunt as a Super Bowl contender every season. What a teams image is really depends on how a person looks at that team. Am I disappointed that we don't win a S.B. every yr.? Sure, but I also remember what it was like having no excitement for the next season knowing full well the Pats would be lucky to win 5 games. I give Brady all the credit in the world, but let's not forget who helped get him there.

If not why?

Anything else?

there are only a hand full of players at each position with a combination of talent and good hard work ethic in the NFL as a whole(if that).

I can't knock BB for picking a talented player with a negative past and surrounding him with a team of hardworking dedicated players coupled with the coaching knowledge to help him succeed in a 1st class organization.

Getting the best of both worlds is very rare and you have gamble at times, there are no sure winners, only in hindsight or the few no brainers everyone else is gunning for.

At this point we have a team of extremely hard workers and a bit less talent. I feel better with that than players like Haynesworthless.

there are only a hand full of players at each position with a combination of talent and good hard work ethic in the NFL as a whole(if that).

I can't knock BB for picking a talented player with a negative past and surrounding him with a team of hardworking dedicated players coupled with the coaching knowledge to help him succeed in a 1st class organization.

Getting the best of both worlds is very rare and you have gamble at times, there are no sure winners, only in hindsight or the few no brainers everyone else is gunning for.

At this point we have a team of extremely hard workers and a bit less talent. I feel better with that than players like Haynesworthless.

Reiss has a good analysis of what went wrong with Albert and how it was different from other BB risks that have succeeded.

That's part of the risk that comes with signing or trading for established veterans, especially ones who arrive with some baggage; they are more set in their ways, and the coach/general manager acquiring them doesn't truly know what's in their DNA. You might get a good year or two out of them, like the Patriots did with Corey Dillon in 2004 and Moss in 2007, but you also know it could end in an instant.

The Patriots signed up for that with Haynesworth, who was different from Dillon and Moss in one respect -- he had dogged it on the field in Washington, which ran counter to some of the core principles that guided Belichick's personnel decisions in past years, when catchphrases such as "football is important to him," "we're building a team, not just collecting talent" and "younger and faster" were uttered regularly.

Well put by Reiss. It's an especially good point after so much had been made last year about getting rid of rotten apples like Adalius and Springs and drafting all those captains in 2010. I will admit I was in the camp that said "low risk, high reward," so I can't complain too much. But I also don't think his loss will hurt this defense; he played so little and showed occasional flashes but not enough. Time to move on, see if new veterans like Carter and Anderson can help as leaders on and off the field, and get back to developing Brace and Deaderick.

I've never seen a team laden with talent not win.. ravens...jets...eagles...cowboys of recent... should I go on. Put Brady on any of those teams and would the result be different?

The Chargers and Cowboys are perfect examples of teams laden with talent that don't win. The Cowboys were considered the most talented team in the NFC in 2007 and were one and done in the playoffs. The last few years, they have not even made the playoffs eventhough people thought they were immensely talented. You talking recent years for them, they are currently 4-4 and lost to the Pats, last year they were 6-10, they were 11-5 in 2009 (on win more than the Pats that year), and 9-7 in 2008. They were 13-3 in 2007 (the Pats were 16-0 with a win over the Cowboys). In fact since 2003, the Cowboys have had double digit wins in a season twice. They are not an example of a team laden with talent that win, but if you ignore the facts you got a good point there.

The Chargers are perennial underachievers. Every year it seems that people pick them to win the Super Bowl and many years, they stumble into the playoffs (last year they missed it all together even though they were many people's preseason pick to win the Super Bowl) and are early exits.

Also, the Eagles this year were dubbed the Dream Team because all of their talent and right now they are 3-5 and possibly one loss away from playoff elimination.

Also, the Jets with more talent than the Patriots have never beaten the Pats for the division with this talent laden team. They are a team that kinda stumbled through the season the last few years and got hot in the playoffs. They got lucky to get into the playoffs in 2009 with a 9-7 record with their last two games against teams resting players for the playoffs.

Last edited:
Reiss has a good analysis of what went wrong with Albert and how it was different from other BB risks that have succeeded.

Well put by Reiss. It's an especially good point after so much had been made last year about getting rid of rotten apples like Adalius and Springs and drafting all those captains in 2010. I will admit I was in the camp that said "low risk, high reward," so I can't complain too much. But I also don't think his loss will hurt this defense; he played so little and showed occasional flashes but not enough. Time to move on, see if new veterans like Carter and Anderson can help as leaders on and off the field, and get back to developing Brace and Deaderick.

Except that Moss consistently dogged it on the field, when playing for the Raiders. Also, I believe it was dogging it on the field, why we ended up trading Moss to the Vickings. And unless I am mistaken, dogging it on the field was why the Vickings released Moss a few weeks later.

The real difference was that Moss was a once in a generation type talent, while Haynesworth is not.

Except that Moss consistently dogged it on the field, when playing for the Raiders. Also, I believe it was dogging it on the field, why we ended up trading Moss to the Vickings. And unless I am mistaken, dogging it on the field was why the Vickings released Moss a few weeks later.

The real difference was that Moss was a once in a generation type talent, while Haynesworth is not.

I agree that Moss had motivation issues with both the Raiders and his final year with the Vikings, but he is somewhat different than Haynesworth. Moss quit on the Raiders because no one cared about winning there. He quit on the Vikes in the end because the relationship soured. Haynesworth quit the second he clashed heads with Shanahan about a month after Shanahan was hired.

I don't think it is a talent thing because I think that Haynesworth actually has similiar type of talent as Moss (obviously, different skill sets, but compared to their peers). Another big difference is that it is easier for a WR who kept himself in excellent shape to turn it back on than a DT who got out of shape and missed the offseason to do it.

That's not necessarily true. Adams doesn't appear to be bad depth at CB, and the Patriots could find themselves in situation where a.) they've improved the secondary and b.) Adams is playing in the dime or due to injury.

Nittery FTW.

I wish Ian had the stones to run this place like Bill runs his operation...zero tolerance for arrogant, ignorant bordering moronic malcontents posing as patsfans...and embarassing the few actual ones who still remain here... This place has become the message board equivalent of idiot sports talk radio.

You can't bounce posters for simple idiocy. I will say there's been a massive recent influx of Felger like 'thinkers' recently polluting the waters here.

What's especially demoralizing is the ignorant rants over cutting Haynesworth. Why criticize BB for AH? It was a low risk (salary, cap and pick) high potential reward in a situation where 2 DL were headed for PUP. I'm not happy with how BB handled his selection of defensive backs this season which is an entirely different matter but the AH move was rational risk-reward assessment that didn't work out. Only those who believe they're blessed with prescience feel differently.

So was Haynesworth cut for performance reasons, lockerroom reasons, discipline reasons, or all of the above? Haynesworth is basically the Randy Moss of DTs. All-world talent, but doesn't take advantage of it except when he feels like it. I'm a little surprised by the timing of this move, but overall can't say I'm surprised Haynesworth is gone. We don't know what was going on in the locker room, but I have a feeling AH was considered a bad influence. And thats why he was cut. BB wasn't about to allow another AD situation to happen.

Last edited:
You can't bounce posters for simple idiocy. I will say there's been a massive recent influx of Felger like 'thinkers' recently polluting the waters here.

What's especially demoralizing is the ignorant rants over cutting Haynesworth. Why criticize BB for AH? It was a low risk (salary, cap and pick) high potential reward in a situation where 2 DL were headed for PUP. I'm not happy with how BB handled his selection of defensive backs this season which is an entirely different matter but the AH move was rational risk-reward assessment that didn't work out. Only those who believe they're blessed with prescience feel differently.

Come on, PWP. There were a whole lot of people who didn't buy that even before the guy had his first press conference, and it didn't take prescience to look at the guy's past history. I'd said that it would be a good signing if he put in the effort, so I'm not claiming to be one of them. But the fact is that he apparently didn't put in the effort, and it was a lousy signing, and there were a lot of people, both on this message board and throughout the NFL community, who were saying it was a lousy move from the very beginning.

So was Haynesworth cut for performance reasons, lockerroom reasons, discipline reasons, or all of the above? Haynesworth is basically the Randy Moss of DTs. All-world talent, but doesn't take advantage of it except when he feels like it. I'm a little surprised by the timing of this move, but overall can't say I'm surprised Haynesworth is gone. We don't know what was going on in the locker room, but I have a feeling AH was considered a bad influence. And thats why he was cut. BB wasn't about to allow another AD situation to happen.

Greg Bedard said that he knows that several players were not happy with Haynesworth's effort and constantly being injured and wanted him gone or at least disciplined. I heard him on 98.5 this morning and it sounds like his sources on that were actual players.

Come on, PWP. There were a whole lot of people who didn't buy that even before the guy had his first press conference, and it didn't take prescience to look at the guy's past history. I'd said that it would be a good signing if he put in the effort, so I'm not claiming to be one of them. But the fact is that he apparently didn't put in the effort, and it was a lousy signing, and there were a lot of people, both on this message board and throughout the NFL community, who were saying it was a lousy move from the very beginning.

It was nearly universally believed to be a good move. Most of the people who were against the move were Patriots haters and Haynesworth haters. The media almost down to the final analyst thought it was a great move and that Belichick would get something out of him.

I never liked the move because I think Haynesworth is a turd and I was never happy with other guys in similiar situations like Moss and Dillon even when they work out, but it was at a position with a lot of depth even after losing Pryor and Wright for the season and they only used a 5th round pick and little cap room. It definitely wasn't a lousy move because the guy has elite talent when motivated and the Pats gave up very little to take a flyer on him potentially becoming that player again.

If the Pats used a higher pick and/or honored his contract as it was in Washington, then it might have been a horrible move. But the Pats didn't waste much more than a low round pick, slightly more than the veteran minimum, and a roster spot on Haynesworth. That is a good risk for the potential reward even if the chances of getting that reward were minimal.

I still think at this point in time, signing Shaun Ellis (another player I wasn't thrilled in the Pats' signing) was a worse move than trading for Albert Haynesworth in that Ellis got good money for minimal production that would have gone elsewhere. Haynesworth's salary probably would have paid for a back up who wouldn't see the field much. Ellis' money could have gone to another legitimate starter with more production. The only thing is Ellis still has the opportunity to show that he was worth the money he got while Haynesworth doesn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News