PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots Predicted to Sign Former Pro Bowl Quarterback to Replace Tom Brady discuss

Status
Not open for further replies.
If the Saints aren’t looking to re-up Bridgewater, you can be darn sure the Patriots aren’t touching him either. BB and SP are tight. Saints are, if reports are legit, going with Brees and Taysom Hill, and just Hill when Brees retires. Hill has like 10 career passing attempts. That is damning considering Bridgewater’s age, experience, and 5-0 record last year.

Note: Hill is 29 now.

I keep hearing that Brady bought a house in Las Vegas.

Did anyone else hear that?

I don’t necessarily mind the idea of a bridge QB to compete with Stidham, but it would have to come at a much more reasonable cost than what Bridgewater is likely going to command. So, if they sign a bridge QB in the say, 14m dollar range (unlikely in my opinion) that makes a big difference for me. As others have mentioned, Bridgewater should be a full 50% higher, at a minimum.

Any way you look at it, keeping Brady makes the most sense.

Even at 14 million you're still at 27 million with Brady's dead cap. So that wouldn't make sense to me either.

They are either going to compete for a championship or not. If they are then Brady is the only choice imo. A bridge guy gets you nowhere.

If they think Stidham is the next guy then a bridge guy is just wasted cap space that could be used to get additional weapons to support the young QB.

Either way a bridge guy makes little sense to me.

If the Saints aren’t looking to re-up Bridgewater, you can be darn sure the Patriots aren’t touching him either. BB and SP are tight. Saints are, if reports are legit, going with Brees and Taysom Hill, and just Hill when Brees retires. Hill has like 10 career passing attempts. That is damning considering Bridgewater’s age, experience, and 5-0 record last year.

This is way off-base. The Saints aren't looking to re-sign Bridgewater because they're bringing back Brees and can't commit $50m+ to the quarterback position next year.

This is way off-base. The Saints aren't looking to re-sign Bridgewater because they're bringing back Brees and can't commit $50m+ to the quarterback position next year.

Multiple reports are that Brees might retire with a strong emphasis that it won’t surprise anyone in the organization if he does.

Even at 14 million you're still at 27 million with Brady's dead cap. So that wouldn't make sense to me either.

They are either going to compete for a championship or not. If they are then Brady is the only choice imo. A bridge guy gets you nowhere.

If they think Stidham is the next guy then a bridge guy is just wasted cap space that could be used to get additional weapons to support the young QB.

Either way a bridge guy makes little sense to me.

I think a "bridge" guy only makes sense if Brady won't return at any price. Bridgewater, Winston, and a couple others are guys you'd treat more as long-term solutions than bridges, and you'd give them contracts reflecting that. But that's a gamble, where they're an albatross if they suck and a great deal if they don't (after the first year, when the Brady hit is gone).

That’s one explanation for the absolutely insane stupidity oozing out of these threads. You’d think like 75% of the fans here became Patriots fans in 2019 by their incredible dismissiveness of an athlete whose caliber they’ll never, ever have again on their home team, and maybe 2-3 more times across all US sports.

It’s amazing how many people are outright angry/entitled people are, but even more amazing how they think they’re entitled to championships every year, and they act like big tough guys online, as if they’re the Patriots front office kicking a player to the curb so they can continue with the dynasty. And the arrogance to think the train just keeps right on rolling, like these Max Kellerman “system” morons weren’t outed in 2004.

Well here’s something to consider. The 2008 Patriots are hailed for going 11-5 without Brady. That team played one of the easiest schedules imaginable and they still got curb stomped, 30-10, at San Diego (Brady is like 8-0 vs Rivers) and were annihilated 33-10 at home to Pittsburgh (Brady has never come close to losing at home to Pittsburgh.). Prior to the season, the consensus was they’d win 14 games minimum. They got ***** slapped by B+ quarterbacks in Rivers and Roethlisberger. That’s the difference between the dynasty Patriots and just another pretty good playoff contender...it’s the difference between the Alex Smith Chiefs and Patrick Mahomes Chiefs, too. One team is good. The other team is championship level.

To think you can just plug in anyone and get championship level success.

Let’s be real here. Belichick is an all-time great coach. Great coaches without the talent (and in the modern NFL, the QB) cannot win championships on schemes alone. The Patriots are teetering on the brink of their dynasty...I don’t know if this team can realistically contend. Why? Because no team can escape the problems caused by 3+ consecutive years of low draft returns. It’s impossible. And I’m guessing Brady’s concerns revolve around the aging roster, lack of young talent, and relative lack of cap space to fill a lot of holes on offense.

We should be practically begging Brady to return to the Patriots. If he leaves, it’s going to embarrassing with all these horrible “fans” pounding their chests about how now it’s time for DYNASTY 3.0 and Tom was holding us all back. It’s like they’re too oblivious to understand that Brady was the main reason for every championship.
You're making an emotional argument, which is understandable. But be careful of living in the past with a 43-year-old quarterback who isn't what he was even two years ago, as legendary as he is.

Put Tom in a playoff situation with a solid OL and skilled weapons and I'll take him over anyone. Pit Tom vs. the incredibly brutal 2020 regular-season schedule with an average to good supporting cast and you might achieve a winning season, even a playoff berth given luck with injuries. But his Super Bowl days in New England are over and it's time to build for the future with youth.

Last edited:
Multiple reports are that Brees might retire with a strong emphasis that it won’t surprise anyone in the organization if he does.

I'm sure if Brees retires they would make a concerted effort to keep Bridgewater. Whether Bridgewater himself would want to return, given the rampant speculation about making Taysom Hill a starter (lmaoo), is an open question. He's a free agent and probably wants a surefire opportunity to start, after all.

You're making an emotional argument, which is understandable. But be careful of living in the past with a 43-year-old quarterback who isn't what he was even two years ago, as legendary as he is.

Put Tom in a playoff situation with a solid OL and skilled weapons and I'll take him over anyone. Pit Tom vs. the incredibly brutal 2020 regular-season schedule with an average to good supporting cast and you might achieve a winning season, even a playoff berth given luck with injuries. But his Super Bowl days in New England are over and it's time to build for the future.

Find one legendary player like this who finished his career with a different team, and the fanbase didn’t ultimately hate the move. At least with Favre or Montana, there ticking clocks for a successor in the wings.

I recognize the difference between a “star athlete”, even a “hall of Fame athlete,” and a once-in-a-lifetime icon. Let him play his last two years in New England. This is the NFL, and these rebuilding projects are not 8-10 years. Everything gets reset a few years later due to shorter contract lengths. It’s not like the team is going “all-in” like a baseball or basketball team would with a bunch of decade-long sunken contracts.

Ultimately, I think the decision is going to be more about Brady than the Patriots. These are human beings, not Madden 1s and 0s.

Do we have to post every idiotic thread out there

I get that this is a Patriots message board and that speculation about the Patriots QB for next season is a really hot topic. I just have no interest in the speculation. I started reading this thread despite my misgivings and should have just done what I wanted to do - ignore it. Now I've contributed to this nonsense. Shame on me.

Find one legendary player like this who finished his career with a different team, and the fanbase didn’t ultimately hate the move. At least with Favre or Montana, there ticking clocks for a successor in the wings.

I recognize the difference between a “star athlete”, even a “hall of Fame athlete,” and a once-in-a-lifetime icon. Let him play his last two years in New England. This is the NFL, and these rebuilding projects are not 8-10 years. Everything gets reset a few years later due to shorter contract lengths. It’s not like the team is going “all-in” like a baseball or basketball team would with a bunch of decade-long sunken contracts.
I'd much rather Tom go to the Raiders than watch him struggle as a shell of his former self here with an average supporting cast. Which sadly is what's in store if he stays. He will be FORTY-THREE YEARS OLD, not 37 or even 41. It's typical for the competitive spirit to outlive the body's ability to keep pace with guys like Brady, who probably should have retired after Super Bowl 53 if not for his TB12 ambitions. Let him go now, because one or two more years with the Pats will just be frustrating for him and for us.

For me, the last straw was that INSANELY STUPID trolling Hulu commercial during the Super Bowl. If he's going to stoop that low playing with our emotions toward lining his pockets with more $$$ to pile atop the mountains of money he already has, it's hard to take much else very seriously -- ESPECIALLY a bank-breaking contract to keep him for a meaningless swan song. I'd rather not see his great legacy further tarnished on the way out.

Last edited:
I get that this is a Patriots message board and that speculation about the Patriots QB for next season is a really hot topic. I just have no interest in the speculation. I started reading this thread despite my misgivings and should have just done what I wanted to do - ignore it. Now I've contributed to this nonsense. Shame on me.

Wow. You are really pristine in your topic selections. We have all prospered immensely from your contribution here. Please, continue seeking the truth and don’t muddy the soles of your shoe by stepping on these idiot threads; they’re for unrefined idiots like us.

Last edited:
I'd much rather Tom go to the Raiders than watch him struggle as a shell of his former self here with an average supporting cast. Which sadly is what's in store if he stays. He will be FORTY-THREE YEARS OLD, not 37 or even 41. It's typical for the competitive spirit to outlive the body's ability to keep pace with guys like Brady, who probably should have retired after Super Bowl 53 if not for his TB12 ambitions. Let him go now, because one or two more years with the Pats will just be frustrating for him and for us.

For me, the last straw was that INSANELY STUPID trolling Hulu commercial during the Super Bowl. If he's going to stoop that low playing with our emotions toward lining his pockets with more $$$ to pile atop the mountains of money he already has, it's hard to take much else very seriously -- ESPECIALLY a bank-breaking contract to keep him for a meaningless swan song. I'd rather not see his great legacy further tarnished on the way out.

Brady will never be loved like Isiah Thomas........no matter how many times he wins

UPDATE: not much relevance to my comment....it's early and the coffee hadn't kicked in.....still, after 20 years, I don't care if Brady plays for the Pats anymore

Last edited:
So you're not as "above it all" as you believed, eh? Don't be too hard on yourself, there are a few good aspects to being human.

I think it would be bad for the Patriots to give Brady anything other than a 1 year deal (I think he's still a top-10 QB and pickings are slim) that doesn't push any further dead cap to the future. I think any other team signing Brady would be a mistake that's more about business than football because, for however good I think Brady still is, I think one thing he absolutely refuses to do at this old dog point in his career is learn new tricks.

But I'm not sure there's a scenario that Brady will accept that's a win-win. And I think it's more likely the Patriots avoid the mistake than, say, the Raiders, which is why I won't be shocked if Brady leaves. It'll be sad but all things must end, and it's just entertainment.

I think it would be bad for the Patriots to give Brady anything other than a 1 year deal (I think he's still a top-10 QB and pickings are slim) that doesn't push any further dead cap to the future. I think any other team signing Brady would be a mistake that's more about business than football.

But I'm not sure there's a scenario that Brady will accept that's a win-win. And I think it's more likely the Patriots avoid the mistake than, say, the Raiders.
I'd love to see Brady back on the cheap for one final year as mentor to his 2021 successor. That would be a fitting curtain call and would make too much sense, hence being unlikely. Factors arguing against his return are (1) the brutal regular-season schedule and (2) the necessity of bringing in high-priced offensive talent to make him effective. Which is easier said than done with what he'd command in cap space and probably would mean robbing Peter to pay Paul at the defense's expense.

I wish everyone would stop talking about the dead money and cap hit. It's not going away no matter what happens, it's up-front bonus money that was amortized. Has no bearing on Brady's 2020 salary or that of his replacement if he walks. The Pats will find a way to create cap space if they are tight. Yes it would be nice to sign TB by next month and be able to spread it over 2 seasons, but either way they have to eat the full amount.

I believe Brady is our best option for the next couple of seasons, but if he leaves, then I think the best replacement would be Nick Foles.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes