PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots not receiving serious offers for 3rd pick

Yeah, that is probably the "dream" scenario. They get a few extra assets and still get a top QB they like. Ideally getting NYG's 2nd rounder this year. They'd just need to be wary of Minnesota, Vegas or Denver jumping up to 4 or 5 and would have to outbid them if they did - but it would be a lot easier to outbid them with the 6th pick versus 11th/12th/13th. Or alternatively, let it go and take MHJ, Nabers or Odunze at 6 instead, and target Penix or Nix later.
Why get cute? Then Arizona will trade out to someone who wants JJ and you’ll be screwed.

If you think JJ is the guy just take him at 3.

It’s just not worth the risks. QB is the most important position. Don’t play with it.

Why get cute? Then Arizona will trade out to someone who wants JJ and you’ll be screwed.

If you think JJ is the guy just take him at 3.

It’s just not worth the risks. QB is the most important position. Don’t play with it.
You can only do it if you know that the Cardinals and LAC aren't trading because they are set on Alt and MHJ.

Have 4 QBs ever gone top 6? How many times has 4 even gone top ten?

You can only do it if you know that the Cardinals and LAC aren't trading because they are set on Alt and MHJ.

Have 4 QBs ever gone top 6? How many times has 4 even gone top ten?
I think this is why they're talking themselves into Penix being ok. Because you can't be sure about AZ and LAC not trading out.

ok being the key word. I'm going to be excited to draft a QB I'll be ok if we trade so long as the return 3+.
I’m ok with the first two 11.23 as long as they throw in Jefferson or their LT. That’s what I call a serious offer. Nothing less.

I’m ok with the first two 11.23 as long as they throw in Jefferson or their LT. That’s what I call a serious offer. Nothing less.
i think trading down is the worst decision the Patriots can make.

You can have all those pieces but without a QB we will go nowhere. You can book that if we trade down we will be looking to trade multiple 1st round picks in 2-3 years to move up in the draft to get a QB that will not be as good as the one available at 3 tomorrow.

QB is not the position you punt on.

Remember when Lawrence was a "generational talent"? That phrase is so @#$%ing meaningless in the draft process.
It's the same line of BS every draft.

Every top rated QB will be built up like Joe Montana and this draft compared to the 83 NFL draft.

1 QB and maybe 2 QBs will come from this draft and more than likely one of the QBs flew under all the draft experts radar.

You can have all those pieces but without a QB we will go nowhere. You can book that if we trade down we will be looking to trade multiple 1st round picks in 2-3 years to move up in the draft to get a QB that will not be as good as the one available at 3 tomorrow.

Shrug. You have to trust your evaluators. If they're telling you the QB at 3 tomorrow is no better than the QB at 11, then you have to seriously consider the move down. If they're telling you that 3 is way better, then there's no way you trade down for all the reasons you said.

Shrug. You have to trust your evaluators. If they're telling you the QB at 3 tomorrow is no better than the QB at 11, then you have to seriously consider the move down. If they're telling you that 3 is way better, then there's no way you trade down for all the reasons you said.
You don’t know the QB will be there at 11. You trading down could push other teams wanting a QB trading in front of you and take the guy you want.

my opinion is that if we trade down it is more probable that we will miss on all the top QB because there is a lot of teams that want them and you get out of the draft with a guy like Rattler and it’s gonna be a disaster and in 2 years we will be the team desperate for a QB and will have to give up even more asset.

Edit: trading down targeting a QB lower has never worked in the history of the draft.

Agree with your points and can easily see them staying put and wouldn’t fault them for it. My unrealistic scenario with Jefferson with 11,23 was put out there and I stand by it. That’s how much it would take me to move the pick which is pretty much the topic of the thread. “Pats not receiving serious offers.”

If it was Maye vs Daniels I wouldn’t of replied with an outlandish trade scenario.

I think Wolf and Co. are eventually going to take Maye.
I believe all the reports out there has been a big smokescreen
Kraft wants Daniels, Wolf and Mayo wants JJ, AVP and Mcadoo wants Maye but we could be willing to trade down.

I think they want Maye.
Don't want to tip there hand to Washington or anyone that can move up trading with Washington.
They also would be stupid if they did not see what kind of haul they could get for the pick
So they throw all 3 QB’s as someone they may take to draw in all trade partners.
If a team offered 3 firsts and a quality WR/OT you might have to do it.

As I said at the end of the day and all the shananigans they take Maye
Obviously this could all be disinformation.

**** Kraft and who he wants.

I like JJ but would lean to who the QB whisperers want.

You don’t know the QB will be there at 11. You trading down could push other teams wanting a QB trading in front of you and take the guy you want.

my opinion is that if we trade down it is more probable that we will miss on all the top QB because there is a lot of teams that want them and you get out of the draft with a guy like Rattler and it’s gonna be a disaster and in 2 years we will be the team desperate for a QB and will have to give up even more asset.
Correct. But if they like all of the top 6, a QB will be there at 6. Again, I don't know who they think of as the top QBs. They might only like the top 2. They might like the top 3. They might like the top 4. They might like the top 6. Really, until the draft happens, it's impossible to know who they like and who they don't.

But if you're right and they think Rattler is good enough and he's a disaster, different people will be picking that next QB in two years.

Correct. But if they like all of the top 6, a QB will be there at 6. Again, I don't know who they think of as the top QBs. They might only like the top 2. They might like the top 3. They might like the top 4. They might like the top 6. Really, until the draft happens, it's impossible to know who they like and who they don't.

But if you're right and they think Rattler is good enough and he's a disaster, different people will be picking that next QB in two years.
My point is if they like all the 6 QB the same then I want them out of the building by next week because they don’t know what they are doing.

My point is if they like all the 6 QB the same then I want them out of the building by next week because they don’t know what they are doing.
Shrug. I can't evaluate college players a damn, so I'm putting my faith in Wolf and McAdoo. Hopefully they'll find us a good one.

Obviously this could all be disinformation.

**** Kraft and who he wants.

I like JJ but would lean to who the QB whisperers want.
I think all of it was disinformation
That would not be a good look if your the GM de facto and all this info was leaked if it was true
I think they have been tight lipped but allowed a lot of disinformation that covered every base of a trade partner if they could land a major haul in a trade.
As I said I think they pick at 3
Maye or JJ. I will be good with. I go back and forth between the two

Both young so higher ceiling
They both have strong arms, athletic, leaders
JJ has the advantage of being more Pro ready, and a bit of the “IT” factor
Maye has the advantage of being a bigger and stronger QB. Better arm strength, can make any throw on the field, can feather and layer passes, really good over the middle of the field,
JJ had a better supporting cast around him but played in a better competition
Maye had a sub par supporting cast but did nit p,ay against great competition

I think they are both good. I recently started preferring Maye over JJ
If they take one or the other and be good, I know nothing while they spend millions vetting them

Remember when Lawrence was a "generational talent"? That phrase is so @#$%ing meaningless in the draft process.
How about potential generational talent?

Lawrence didn't live up to hype. But he was still pretty much fail proof. He's a good QB solid above average QB. He's just not an elite one despite a few flashes.

The issue is you have to assume they like a QB enough to think he's worth getting with #3 than whatever else they could get there. If you think Maye is just a bit better of a prospect than Mac Jones, then do you get him with all the same risks knowing you might be burning the pick on a QB on a team this is pretty untalented on offense. Or do you get a stud WR who is the best player in the draft and trade up later to get a QB who is maybe a little less of a prospect but not wildly under Maye?

Because let's be real, Caleb is the star of the QB draft. He's the only one on the board that would be viewed as a top 5 pick talent if you went position agnostic. The other two QB's are mid to late first round talents that are getting drafted higher based on positional value and the Patriots will only get the second pick of those two.

There's the ideal situation and what the reality is. It's not the best idea to pass on other opportunities if you aren't positive about the QB. If you are completely sold on Maye, then you should get him. But if you are lukewarm on him, all of a sudden McCarthy/Penix in a trade up later on look like a better move if you can bolster them with some other talent.

Somehow; I don’t think it works that way.

Any offer they get after Wed 18:00 is as unserious as the „laughable „ offers received so far. Just ones seeking a desperate partner.

IIRC, in the few videos of BB trading down; it was always the same:
(1). BB asks the other team: „is the player you want still there?“
(2). Ok, yes; then the deal as we discussed?

Anyone serious is going to plan this out.

You can’t realistically think a corporation can make a multimillion $ decision with multiple moves & implications, analyzing from scratch with a 15 minute chess clock running down.
That is laughable in my mind.

IMO, any serious trade is well coordinated (at least the pick # framework) more than 24-hrs out.
I tend to agree. I think that it's a nice idea to think that the Kevin Costner "Draft Day" scenario of "That offer expired 1 minute ago." is fun for movies, but these guys aren't going to risk that with all the money involved. I tend to think that the call is already made from possible trade partners, and it'll go down like you outlined. All the rest is a dog and pony show designed to create more interest in the league and the TV show tomorrow and Friday night. (much less so Saturday).

Thank God it's only 24 hours away. Ish.

Last edited:

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes