PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots not receiving serious offers for 3rd pick

mike_usagisan

Staff member
2021 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
According to one source, the Patriots have fielded calls and trade offers for their first-round pick. However, the source indicated that those offers were ‘laughable’ and not close to getting the Patriots to move down. As of now, the team is still waiting for a ‘serious’ offer.

Does this mean that other teams are attempting to take advantage of a new, first time GM?
Maybe.

Does this mean the Patriots are using the media in an attempt to obtain a better trade offer?
Maybe.

Does this mean we are in the complete disinformation part of the NFL calendar?
Absolutely.

Probably using those mock draft simulators.

Hey, I'll give you our first and second for your 1st and third. We can swap 5ths and 6ths too.

If you give up three R1s to move to #3 to take a guy that the Pats need, shouldn't the Pats, you know, take that guy too?

Yup, not surprised.

I am happy the team's value chart obviously has it as:

Daniels/Maye = 2024 1st round pick, 2024 1st round pick, and 2025 1st round pick.

This means the team really likes either one of them and won't move out of #3 unless we get three 1s.

Yup, not surprised.

I am happy the team's value chart obviously has it as:

Daniels/Maye = 2024 1st round pick, 2024 1st round pick, and 2025 1st round pick.

This means the team really likes either one of them and won't move out of #3 unless we get three 1s.
I do wonder if that's the real asking price or just what they want to get out in the media.

From Ian. This is my read here:

The offers themselves may be decent in a vacuum. (Minnesota probably has offered this years 1’s) but the staff wants a much bigger haul, one that at least matches what Chicago received last year. (Multiple 1’s, likely a 2, and an impact player)

Minnesota likely has to be the only team that would have enough capital to move with us. I don’t think the Giants want to give up enough to move 3 spots, and Denver simply doesn’t have players worth trading for on their roster AND is in no position to give up any further significant draft capital with the current state of their roster. They likely target Nix later on.

Back to Minnesota. Minnesota likely either likes the QB options enough to move up to pick 4-6 instead for much cheaper to land the 4th option available, or decided they aren’t as high on any of these QB prospects to give up significant draft capital. Either scenario would mean they probably aren’t wanting to give up much more than the 1’s they have this year.

The Patriots absolutely should see a deal like that as laughable on their side. You’d basically be giving up on the chance to get a franchise QB for a mid 1st round OT prospect.

Does this mean that other teams are attempting to take advantage of a new, first time GM?
Maybe.
Not sure on this. Doubt it. Wolf is pretty well-respected and not a rookie. This isn't the #1 pick, so I'm sure people like Minn are holding their best offer until they see exactly how 1 and 2 play out.
Does this mean the Patriots are using the media in an attempt to obtain a better trade offer?
Maybe.
Umm, YEAH...
Does this mean we are in the complete disinformation part of the NFL calendar?
Absolutely.
Umm, YEAH.

If it's true that they think there are 3 worth taking there (not 5 or 6, but 3 or maybe 4), then don't trade for anything short of a massive, massive haul...if even then. If they think the guy there at 3 is little different from, say, JJ, Penix, Nix, then sure, trade down.

This is New England's way of announcing to suitors that it is going to take 3 #1's to move up. Their pick is, by all accounts, the highest one which is actually on the market so teams better pony up.

Maybe I'm wrong but the various stories, to me at least, say that the Pats want to move down as their first choice. If they were in love with a QB they wouldn't be continuing to encourage trade offers - just as the Bears and Commanders aren't. I think they want to trade down and aren't fully convinced by Maye but they can't get the daddy offer that Carolina gave up last year.

But then Daniel suitors are suddenly in the market.
Right. To me, the offers will heat up as soon as Washington picks.
movie-draft-day.gif

Maybe I'm wrong but the various stories, to me at least, say that the Pats want to move down as their first choice. If they were in love with a QB they wouldn't be continuing to encourage trade offers - just as the Bears and Commanders aren't. I think they want to trade down and aren't fully convinced by Maye but they can't get the daddy offer that Carolina gave up last year.
"we will give you this receiver, that tackle 3 R1s and a 2."

Good, stay at @3 and take a QB.
99% sure you will get you wish.

I think it is pretty obvious they will draft Maye or McCarthy and will not trade unless they can be sure to draft one of them.
Thus, they can't trade lower than #4, which is not going to happen in any reasonable scenario other than a team trading to 4 for Maye and then trading up again for #3 so the Pats don't take Maye.
Any other scenario seems remote.

Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
Back