PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots Lose Two OTAs Due To Rule Violation

Friday Patriots Notebook 5/26: News and Notes

@Ian has it laid out for everyone here. If this is accurate, I really hate Joe Judge. Stop being such a eff-up.
Oh No Christmas GIF by Max
It sounds like they were trying to get cute with the rules again by saying the meeting wasn't mandatory so it wasn't on the schedule and they didn't take attendance.

Did those other teams have a camera in the bengals press box and forfeit a third rounder?

Did they get nailed for a first and third rounder for spygate?

Terrible example, Belichick had nothing to do with the media wing of the Patriots media filming in Cincy. Soygate was complete ********. Belichick was responsible for it, but it was a mountain made out of a mole hill. Both Jimmy Johnson and Howard Mudd admitted it was a common practice in the league.

You can hate Belichick all you want, but the examples you are using are complete crap.

It sounds like they were trying to get cute with the rules again by saying the meeting wasn't mandatory so it wasn't on the schedule and they didn't take attendance.
It really feels like they are trying to bend the rules. If there's an NFL official or a rep from NFLPA on site, then play by the fekkin' rules. It's not that hard. @rochrist pointed out on page 1 that this seems to be a leaguewide issue that teams are getting busted every year. I guess it has to be weighed if the punishment levied is worth the risk and is there enough to be gained to warrant such a violation.
I Dont Care Whatever GIF

It really feels like they are trying to bend the rules. If there's an NFL official or a rep from NFLPA on site, then play by the fekkin' rules. It's not that hard. @rochrist pointed out on page 1 that this seems to be a leaguewide issue that teams are getting busted every year. I guess it has to be weighed if the punishment levied is worth the risk and is there enough to be gained to warrant such a violation.
I Dont Care Whatever GIF
i dont think it matters... at all ... to zero degrees... in the slightest... to no degree ... nada, zip & Zilch ... absolute goose eggs... not even worth a mere mention... i'm running out of synonyms here so i hope peeps get the drift

200.gif

bonus points for whoever gets the movie

i dont think it matters... at all ... to zero degrees... in the slightest... to no degree ... nada, zip & Zilch ... absolute goose eggs... not even worth a mere mention... i'm running out of synonyms here so i hope peeps get the drift

200.gif

bonus points for whoever gets the movie
Meat Ball Food GIF

I Dont Care Whatever GIF

It also just wouldn't surprise me if A) The league doesn't really have a good standard for what a violation is and leaves it up to a judgment call on the part of the observer, and/or B) It is widely done but rarely enforced, so teams just get lax with it like, "Eh, we do this all the time." Like when you get pulled over for going 10mph over the limit and think, "Damn, glad this guy didn't see my last week when I was doin' hundos!"

Oh no! They lost two OTA’s!

Philadelphia 76Ers Basketball GIF

Friday Patriots Notebook 5/26: News and Notes

@Ian has it laid out for everyone here. If this is accurate, I really hate Joe Judge. Stop being such a eff-up.
Oh No Christmas GIF by Max
There's incorrect information there though. The meeting WAS listed which is why they thought it was mandatory. The link you gave says the meeting wasn't listed, as though they were trying to hide it. Now, I know you might say I'm being pedantic that there's no difference, but this is EXACTLY why the Patriots were dinged.

If the meeting was listed as OPTIONAL, there would be no problem here, but because it was on the official schedule, that made in mandatory.

Again, it sounds like I'm not pointing out a big difference and it's not even worth making my post. OK, I get that. But this is literally why they ruled against the Patriots.

So it’s not exactly Bill’s fault. But Bill has to know this guy is an absolutely shmuck. He basically promoted him after being one of the guys who rode this offense into the ground last year.

Unsurprisingly he is already screwing things up.
He is the special teams coach. It was a special teams meeting. Clearly he coached special teams well in the past.

Last edited:
There's incorrect information there though. The meeting WAS listed which is why they thought it was mandatory. The link you gave says the meeting wasn't listed, as though they were trying to hide it. Now, I know you might say I'm being pedantic that there's no difference, but this is EXACTLY why the Patriots were dinged.

If the meeting was listed as OPTIONAL, there would be no problem here, but because it was on the official schedule, that made in mandatory.

Again, it sounds like I'm not pointing out a big difference and it's not even worth making my post. OK, I get that. But this is literally why they ruled against the Patriots.
Sounds like NFL lawyer-speak.

if this is true, they basically have "Observer' positions that need to justify their pay/existence, when they're combing thru **** and pointing out semantics of a 15 minute special teams meeting to punish us

almost like traffic cops having to hit a quota for tickets... this is disgusting if true and a real bad look for the NFLPA

All of these rules & regs are so damn many & complicated now that the league has to ass-ign someone to Each team just to try to help explain them...

Sounds like NFL lawyer-speak.
It's a legally-binding contract, so it should sound like NFL lawyer speak. *shrug*

My take is that the owners wanted more games/money/etc. from the last contract. The players wanted fewer practices to decrease wear and tear on their bodies. So they compromised and both got what they wanted.

The coaches wanted the same or more amount of practice, but they weren't in the negotiations, so they didn't get it. So when something like this happens, the coaches are in the tough spot of having to obey a contract that they didn't have a hand in creating but can be dinged for violating.

All that said, Judge is still an idiot.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back