PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots Eagles Super Bowl place in history

Status
Not open for further replies.
The AFCCG in Pittsburgh that year was fantastic.

IMO the thing with the Eagles is I don't hate them and I don't like them. They play in a division with 2 teams I can't stand and never could. So when they beat those teams I'm happy. They don't make the playoffs much....when they do with the exception of a couple of years... they are typically 1 and done. Never won a Super Bowl. Only been in 2 (I think). The Eagles are just average and I never thought they had a shot in that game.

I never really think of this game much. Just always felt like it was never in doubt. I do remember them completing a ridiculous two yard pass in bounds with like 30 seconds remaining. I was never more sure of a win once they were pinned down.

The Freddie Mitchell bowl was a good one. That team was so very balanced on both sides of the ball.

"All he does it talk. He's terrible and you can print that. I was happy when he was in the game."
That might still be the only single instance in the career of Belichik where he trash-talks an opponent... and he did it right before a super bowl. Amazingly out-of-character.

If Corey Dillon doesn't fumble this game is a blowout. That being said that Eagles team had a phenomenal season. I think they rested starters at the end of the season which account for 1 or 2 losses. One of TO's big catch and runs was due to a Freddy Mitchell pick. Was that pick illegal and just ignored by the refs? Take that play away and he still has a great game but they might not score on that drive. Best memory from that game other than winning was the Paul McCartney half-time show.

I think you're referencing the botched hand-off/fake hand-off between Brady and Faulk inside Philly's 5 yard line late in the 2nd quarter. That drive should've ended with at least 3 points, although, after the Pats defense forced a punt, the offense scored a TD - Brady to Givens - to end the half.
Another missed opportunity occurred in the 3rd quarter when a long Troy Brown punt return was negated by a holding penalty on the execrable Dexter Reid, another of Bill's over-drafted failures (sound familiar?). The return would've placed the offense in immediate FG range. The Pats also had to settle for a FG in the 4th quarter after starting with 1st/goal inside the 5 (IIRC).

You are indeed correct about Owens' big catch/run because of a WR pick, which actually happened on more than one occasion, none of which were flagged. And the halftime show with Paul McCartney was awesome, especially following the disgrace of the Wardrobe Malfunction travesty from the year before.

I remember when I was watching the game it didn't have the same feeling that the others did. What i mean by that is SB39 was a game the Pats were supposed to win, we were the defending champs, this is before any BS scandals so the emotion for revenge wasn't there, it was just the best team executing their game plan and winning, as we all expected. It was more of a relief than a celebration when we won that game, plus it wasn't really in doubt once we went up 24-14. compare that to the others:

36 - huge underdogs, game winning drive, FG as time expired.
38 - validating our team, showing we weren't a fluke, another last second FG (although this one should have been a walk if not for Bradys awful interception in the end zone.)
42 - Perfect season, spygate, damn Tyree catch.
46 - Friggin Giants again, Welker drop, another last minute loss.
49 - Deflategate just happened, shutting up the haters from spygate, Butler pick
51 - Season started with Bradys suspension, revenge on the league, greatest comeback in Superbowl history.

39 Just didnt have that drama even though that was probably the hardest Superbowl road they ever faced with the Colts/Steelers/Eagles.

Didn't want to start a new Eagles thread ... this is great ... also may you RIP Jeffrey ... God bless you.

Riegel, Jeffrey Clayton

He was beloved by all. God gave Jeffrey the miracle of time to prepare

which allowed him to verbalize his last wishes. He requested to have 8

Philadelphia Eagles as pall bearers so the Eagles can let him down one last time.

Didn't want to start a new Eagles thread ... this is great ... also may you RIP Jeffrey ... God bless you.

Riegel, Jeffrey Clayton
entire first half Pats sort of struggled to get it to 7-7. When Brady fumbled near the goal I remember thinking "it's possible this is not our night."

Then it was the first SB ever to be tied (14-14) going into the 4th Quarter.

Then with 7 minutes left, we had a ten point lead, and Teddy picked off McNabb. I thought, we can just kill this game now. But we went 3 and out and only took 40 seconds off the clock, and that was terrible at that point. Then as bad as McKnabb puked on himself from 6 minutes to the 2 minute warning, we still gave a way too easy over 20 yard TD pass right after the 2 minute warning to make it 24-21. And they did get the ball just needing a FG with about a minute. (Granted on their own 10 or whatever)

A lot of foggy memories of that game around here. It was tough game.

If you remember, that was the season when the 21 game winning streak was broken at Pittsburgh on Halloween, then we got our revenge in the AFC game. That team was loaded, and the 03 and 04 Patriots were two rock-solid, repeat championship teams. But I think that's the problem. Those two seasons/Superbowls are lumped into each other instead of being celebrated as the last of the rare phenomenon known as a Superbowl repeat. To me, the Panthers game was special because it was our second Superbowl and showed 2001 wasn't a fluke, and the Eagles game was special because as I said before a rare repeat but also out third, and three in four years to boot. All very notable, but unfortunately maybe taken for granted.

As much as the Pats have been celebrated (rightfully) for the nearly 20 year and dynasty, I do think it makes our 3 in 4 core from the early 2000's overlooked and underappreciated by football fans and media as a whole compared to say the 90's Cowboys, who won 3 in 4 and completely fell apart soon after.

When you talk about Brady this is probably the super bowl that is brought up the least.

The Rams underdog win, Carolina is remembered fondly as a very good game. The 2 Giant loss heart breakers that both had legendary plays in them that went against the pats (not to mention 19-0 was on the line in one of them). Of course the Seahawks/Faclons come backs will be remembered and talked about for decades by football fans.

However this game which established the dynasty as official feels more like a footnote. Almost like "yeah Brady/BB won that one too!". Why is this game not held in higher esteem?

Is is cause the Eagles weren't good? Nope. They went 13-1 before sitting their starters the rest of the season and then showed themselves to be the class of the NFC with routine looking victories. Just look at them with the eyeball test. The single loss was to the 15-1 Steelers and Philly just had an off game. They clearly were a legit borderline wagon team.

Did they lack big name talent? Nope. McNabb though not a HOF was very good and TO is a top 5 all time WR. Westbrook was a very dangerous duel threat RB at the time. They had a good OL and good support guys to back them up (also TO was clearly healthy that game IDC what he says he looked sharp healed and ready to go. That D was #2 PPG and had lots of talent (5 probowlers on that side of the ball alone).

Was the game not competitive? Nope. It was tight virtually the whole way through. Even when Philly got the ball back with just 46 seconds left at the 4 they still had a chance to tie the game (they had a probowl kicker after all. It was not till McNabb threw up on himself you knew for sure it was over. If they had got a few good passes and gained 55 yards they would have had a chance to tie at least.

So what is the deal?

Patriots went up 10, the game was over, especially thanks to the world's longest 2-minute drill.

That was as close to a 3-point blowout as you'll ever see.

Agreed, although oddly enough, they beat the number 1 seed from both conferences on the way to the championship that year. When you throw in the high flying Indy Colts who had an exceptional offensive year, it could be argued that 2004 was the most difficult path out of any of them.

And they beat the Co-MVPs in back-to-back weeks.

When you talk about Brady this is probably the super bowl that is brought up the least.

The Rams underdog win, Carolina is remembered fondly as a very good game. The 2 Giant loss heart breakers that both had legendary plays in them that went against the pats (not to mention 19-0 was on the line in one of them). Of course the Seahawks/Faclons come backs will be remembered and talked about for decades by football fans.

However this game which established the dynasty as official feels more like a footnote. Almost like "yeah Brady/BB won that one too!". Why is this game not held in higher esteem?

Is is cause the Eagles weren't good? Nope. They went 13-1 before sitting their starters the rest of the season and then showed themselves to be the class of the NFC with routine looking victories. Just look at them with the eyeball test. The single loss was to the 15-1 Steelers and Philly just had an off game. They clearly were a legit borderline wagon team.

Did they lack big name talent? Nope. McNabb though not a HOF was very good and TO is a top 5 all time WR. Westbrook was a very dangerous duel threat RB at the time. They had a good OL and good support guys to back them up (also TO was clearly healthy that game IDC what he says he looked sharp healed and ready to go. That D was #2 PPG and had lots of talent (5 probowlers on that side of the ball alone).

Was the game not competitive? Nope. It was tight virtually the whole way through. Even when Philly got the ball back with just 46 seconds left at the 4 they still had a chance to tie the game (they had a probowl kicker after all. It was not till McNabb threw up on himself you knew for sure it was over. If they had got a few good passes and gained 55 yards they would have had a chance to tie at least.

So what is the deal?

Because the real wins that year was beating the Colts and their Top Gun qb Peyton Manning - who won MVP,

511zw7avaiL.jpg

who was taught that postseason is about defense

tedy-bruschi-017019366.jpg

followed by the team with the best record in NFL at 15-1, the Steelers, who had smacked Eagles earlier in the season,

2004-Pittsburgh-Steelers-Ben-Roethlisberger-Hines-Ward-Plaxico-Burress.jpg

who were taught the Pats don't lose to rookie QBs in post-season.

2004_AFC_Champ_Game_2_medium.jpg

And while the Superbowl match-up between Belichick and Reid was considered cerebral

2005-0207-SI-cover-Tom-Brady-017020194cov.jpg

in contrast, the Superbowl was more of a coronation.

Sports_Illustrated_717798_20050214-001-2048.jpg

Last edited:
Because the real wins that year was beating the Colts and their Top Gun qb Peyton Manning - who won MVP,

511zw7avaiL.jpg

who was taught that postseason is about defense

tedy-bruschi-017019366.jpg

followed by the team with the best record in NFL at 15-1, the Steelers

2004-Pittsburgh-Steelers-Ben-Roethlisberger-Hines-Ward-Plaxico-Burress.jpg

who were taught the Pats don't lose to rookie QBs in post-season.

And while the Superbowl match-up between Belichick and Reid was considered cerebral

2005-0207-SI-cover-Tom-Brady-017020194cov.jpg

in contrast, the Superbowl was more of a coronation.

Sports_Illustrated_717798_20050214-001-2048.jpg

Cerebral on the part of BB, but not so much on the part of Reid.. an NFL head Coach who cannot manage the clock will probably never win a Superbowl, as Pats fans we have become accustomed to great clock management and expect that to happen, however the Eagles crapped the bed and wasted a ton of time particularly in the 4th quarter..

Probably because nothing "memorable" transpired during the game:

Let me sum this up perfectly:

Pats-Rams: We were HUGE underdogs against the GSOT.

Pats- Panthers: Janet's Boob played hide & seek with the entire western world.

Pats- Giants '07: ......Tyree:(

Pats-Giants '11: ......Manning to Manningham :(

Pats- Seahawks: Butler! :D:D

Pats- Falcons: 1st Half :(:mad:/ 2nd Half :eek::D:D:D

Pats- Eagles: ...............we won

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference