Patriot Draft Profiles -Tight End Is a Position of Need

Status
Not open for further replies.

PatsFans.com Article

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
Patriot Draft Profiles -Tight End Is a Position of Need

Steve Balestrieri

Besides Gronkowski, maybe... the position consists of Jacob Hollister, Ryan Izzo, Stephen Anderson, and the newly signed Matt Lacosse.

Continue reading...

(If you enjoyed this entry - hit the Thumbs Up/If not, hit the Thumbs down in this thread)

TJ Hockenson or bust! But how much more than just #32 will it cost Bill to move up far enough to ensure that in his mind he's about to be taken very soon so it's time to act now?

Sternburger at 64 is a must at tight end for us, assuming the two Iowa guys are long gone.

Moreau from LSU is someone else we need to consider. LSU has him blocking a ton on passing plays, but when he did go out for passes, he showed he has some skill in the passing game.

TJ Hockenson or bust! But how much more than just #32 will it cost Bill to move up far enough to ensure that in his mind he's about to be taken very soon so it's time to act now?

With Lions in need of tight end, another mock draft slots T.J. Hockenson to Detroit

Some rumor Hock at #8, which would need more than we are likely to be willing spend.

I have suggested using as much as our 1st, top 2nd, and top 3rd which would bring us up to about 12-14.

Our 1st and top 2nd would get us up to 18 or so. I would think that we would jump at that.

We'll sign someone as a FA from the draft who works at Popeyes.

With Lions in need of tight end, another mock draft slots T.J. Hockenson to Detroit

Some rumor Hock at #8, which would need more than we are likely to be willing spend.

I have suggested using as much as our 1st, top 2nd, and top 3rd which would bring us up to about 12-14.

Our 1st and top 2nd would get us up to 18 or so. I would think that we would jump at that.

The Lions just spent a ton of cash on Jesse James, didn't they?

If the Pats can't get Hoch (I don't think they can), I like Kaden Smith personally.

Sternburger at 64 is a must at tight end for us, assuming the two Iowa guys are long gone.

This makes far more sense than people pining for a tight end (Hockenson) who likely will go in the top 15 and is 40 pounds lighter than Gronkowski.

The Lions just spent a ton of cash on Jesse James, didn't they?

If the Pats can't get Hoch (I don't think they can), I like Kaden Smith personally.

Kaden Smith ran a 4.92 forty. I don’t think there’s a single TE in the NFL that ran a time like that and had success as a receiver. I’m prepared to be corrected on that but I did check the other day so feel reasonably confident.

This makes far more sense than people pining for a tight end (Hockenson) who likely will go in the top 15 and is 40 pounds lighter than Gronkowski.

40 pounds? More like 13.

We'll sign someone as a FA from the draft who works at Popeyes.

Bluto had the build for a TE. Bit of a wimp though as he was consistently beaten by the power of a vegetable (spinach).

Moreau from LSU is someone else we need to consider. LSU has him blocking a ton on passing plays, but when he did go out for passes, he showed he has some skill in the passing game.
Sleeper TE picks:
Josh Oliver San Jose St.
Zack Gentry Michigan 6'8" and 265 with 4.7 speed
Kahale Warring San Diego State
Warring (6-6, 252) caught 51 balls for 637 yards and eight touchdowns across 19 career games. He's a football late-boomer, having excelled in every other sport throughout high school, but his ceiling is fantastically high.

Warring's billed as a plus athlete with equal parts run-blocking and pass-catching ability. Although not the flashiest, fastest or strongest, he brings a workmanlike approach to the position — a lunch pail-type. One of those guys who always knows his assignment, generally in the right spot at the right time.

NFL.com draft expert Lance Zierlein compared him to former Ravens star Todd Heap.

I still think we make a trade for Cameron Brate (Harvard)

DW Toys

Last edited:
The more I hear about Irv Smith Jr. the more I think he's the best fit for the Patriots. I qualify this statement by pointing out I know very little about college football.

Hockenson and or Fant are not worth the draft capital it would take to trade up and get him. No need to panic here.
Pats do have Izzo as a blocking TE and Anderson and or Lacosse as a move TE. Someone else will come free in FA.

Best to pick a TE who is available at our draft position. Again no one will completely replace Gronk. I like Warring as good value.

Trading way up for a TE would be a very un Patriot like move

There's an article on "Viking Age" about the availability of Kyle Rudolph. Basically says the Vikes would listen on trade offers for him. A fourth might do it. That'd be an interesting option.

Last edited:
And
Kaden Smith ran a 4.92 forty. I don’t think there’s a single TE in the NFL that ran a time like that and had success as a receiver. I’m prepared to be corrected on that but I did check the other day so feel reasonably confident.

Hoch ran a 4.7. I really don't put much into that, honestly.

Hoch 3-cone 7.02
Smith 3-cone 7.08

One will be a 1st-rounder. The other can be had in the late 3rd/4th. Stanford Tight Ends know how to block.

I want to see his pro-day results.

When you don’t have one consistently, tight end is always a position of need.

Very happy with this discussion...and just to be clear....their is a BIG drop off from these 3 to the next group ...

c3eb3a5e8609bd479ebef4f267dae080.png

And

Hoch ran a 4.7. I really don't put much into that, honestly.

Hoch 3-cone 7.02
Smith 3-cone 7.08

One will be a 1st-rounder. The other can be had in the late 3rd/4th. Stanford Tight Ends know how to block.

I want to see his pro-day results.

If you look at previous combines, low 4.7s seems to be the cut off for success. Heuerman, Rudolph, Jesse James are the only ones since ‘09 thar ran slower than 4.79 and they were all in the low 4.8s. I’m just saying that his lack of speed is a red flag that needs consideration.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes