PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Our defense now vs the 2019 D

Defensive personnel from 2019:

On the DL: Michael Bennett was strangely mis-used; and I'd still rather have Danny Shelton than Carl Davis... But other than Adam Butler, everyone else is either still here (Guy, Wise, Wino) or not missed (Coward, Simon)... Advantage 2021.

At LB: Collins, Hightower & KVN were two years younger (and two years better), as was Bentley though in his case I would absolutely take 2021 Bentley over 2019 Bentley... Calhoun & Roberts are additions by subtraction, though we've unfortunately (re-)"added" Brandon the King this year... Advantage 2021, slightly, especially if Collins & Uche return from IR... Would've been a bigger advantage if Raekwon McMillan had been able to play...

At CB: The 2019 top 4 is unquestionably superior to the 2021 top 4, though the 2021 depth should be better, but only as long as Shaun Wade isn't completely worthless that is... Advantage 2019.

At Safety: Ebner, Terry Brooks & Glitch Richards are additions by subtraction, though Chung & especially Harmon are missed... Cody Davis, Uncle Dugg & especially Yo Adrian Phillips help make up for their loss... This one's close, real close...

Last edited:
Reactions: sb1
OP- got a small favor to ask on behalf of myself and many others here...
...can you edit the thread title to change"Bo____men" to "D"?
I cringe every time I see it. I don't think I'm alone. Thanks bruh

OP- got a small favor to ask on behalf of myself and many others here...
...can you edit the thread title to change"Bo____men" to "D"?
I cringe every time I see it. I don't think I'm alone. Thanks bruh
Done

Just from a pure eye test, i'd say this defence is better. We can get pressure with 4 and drop 7 into coverage that makes a huge difference. Plus we seem to better at stopping the run than we have done in previous seasons. Plus Barmore and Judon have been utter game wreckers at time. Barmore may not have the sack numbers but he hasn't finished all those hurries/pressures into sack numbers yet, but my god he's a stud. Love the Front 4 this year and the front 7. It's just they are so physical they are literally beating teams up at times.

People crapping on the 2019 defense that was #1 in scoring #1 in yards #2 in takeaways and # 1 in 3rd down % at a ridiculous 24% is funny stuff indeed.

I think Barmore may end up a more impactful player than Wilfork, which would be amazing

Not a chance. I really like Barmore but Wilfork is a top 3 Nose Tackle in NFL history. Barmore is more like Seymour playing inside most of the time. Barmore is a better pass rusher but Wilfork was an immovable object.

Barmore+ Davis on a goal line stand will be fantastic. This defense ceiling is very high, no where near its peak.

People crapping on the 2019 defense that was #1 in scoring #1 in yards #2 in takeaways and # 1 in 3rd down % at a ridiculous 24% is funny stuff indeed.

They were great. I'm not disparaging them, but they weren't perfect. They couldn't stop Henry. Combine that with the offense's woes, and they had to see the field more than they should have. They ran out of gas and we never saw what noise they could make in the playoffs.

This year started off a bit up and down, but they've tightened things up and seem less top heavy than in past years. There's also more pass-rushing talent (not manufactured pressure via blitz), so they may be able to get off the field on third downs. They're complemented by a more bruising rushing attack and an offense that's been pretty good at sustained drives. Whether that will equate to greater post-season success remains to be seen. But preferring this year's defense isn't ludicrous.

They were great. I'm not disparaging them, but they weren't perfect. They couldn't stop Henry. Combine that with the offense's woes, and they had to see the field more than they should have. They ran out of gas and we never saw what noise they could make in the playoffs.

This year started off a bit up and down, but they've tightened things up and seem less top heavy than in past years. There's also more pass-rushing talent (not manufactured pressure via blitz), so they may be able to get off the field on third downs. They're complemented by a more bruising rushing attack and an offense that's been pretty good at sustained drives. Whether that will equate to greater post-season success remains to be seen. But preferring this year's defense isn't ludicrous.
No defense is perfect. Criticizing the best defense because if it’s imperfection is silly.
They didn’t lose because of how they defended Henry. The defense allowed 14 points. On the other 7 drives the Titans had a total of 123 yards, 6 punts and a pick (average drive 5.5 plays 17.5 yards)
Any competent offense wins that game against a defense that allowed 21 ppg.
The best defense in the nfl allowed fewer points than its seasons best average and the offense blew chunks.

there was no Judon equivalent in 19, he is a game changer and a guy opponents must game plan for I also think Adrian Phillips is a bigger playmaker than anyone in the 19 secondary....sorry Gilmore

With the 2021 Defense, I give zero concerns when the opponents are moving the ball on us in the first half. I cant explain my confidence in the Pats ability to figure it out, but I hardly worry.
My faith was shaken during the Texans game though.

2019 defense feasted on terrible opponents the first 8 weeks. Through 8 weeks the Pats ranked far and away 1st in EPA/play and were on track to field the greatest defense of all time.

The 2nd half of the season painted a very different picture however. They ranked a pedestrian 16th in EPA/play.

The 2021 Bills defense is like that.

This defense is legit great and much more sustainable. The best Patriots defenses have a legit DT. Barmore, Judon up front is much different than what we saw in 2019. Dugger is a terror. The secondary is weaker but this defense is much better due to consistent disruption upfront.

2019 defense was exceptional as leading the league in points allowed and yards showed. The schedule that year had the majority of weak teams being played in the beginning of the year so their dominance was overrated from an all time perspective but it was still top notch. The offensive struggles in the 2nd half of the year did them no favors either. The 2021 defense is certainly rounding in shape and has much more strength at the LOS. Next few weeks will like determine if this goes down as one of the better ones in past 10 years or not.
The 2019 defense fell apart once the other team got a lead. The big difference between a secondary oriented (2019) and a front 7 oriented defense (2021) is that coverage teams need the offense to score points to be effective. In 2019 teams could get a lead and switch to the run which chewed clock and compounded the problem. With a strong line the opposition needs to keep passing with the lead or be forced to give up the ball on downs. This also creates more opportunity for mistakes and gives the offense time to come back and take the lead.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back