PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Other Team's Potential Cuts

Status
Not open for further replies.

jsull87

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
After reading an NFL.com article i thought i'd start this up as a discussion on if any could pe Pats possabilities. A dark horse for me depending on the $$$ would be Santonio Holmes. Not that I can see to much of a chance but you never know as when healthy he can be a pretty good compliment to what we have now and should be cheap given his recent history.

The names they had mentioned are:

Chris Johnson, RB, Tennessee Titans
Santonio Holmes, WR, New York Jets
Terrell Suggs, OLB, Baltimore Ravens
DeMarcus Ware, DE, Dallas Cowboys
Julius Peppers, DE, Chicago Bears

This was briefly touched on during the season but now the offseason is here and there seem to be a few cash strapped clubs out there that might have some big decisions to make i.e the pats with Wilfork.

This should be kept in mind when people are looking at possible FA scenarios.

Other big names who may not be living up to their billing:

Haloti Ngata DT Baltimore cap number 16M
Will Smith DE Saints 13.9M
N Suh DT Lions 22M (that is rediculous to me that he is getting paid that)
Chris Snee G 11M
Miles Austin WR

There are a few others but i just thought i'd get the ball rolling and

After reading an NFL.com article i thought i'd start this up as a discussion on if any could pe Pats possabilities. A dark horse for me depending on the $$$ would be Santonio Holmes. Not that I can see to much of a chance but you never know as when healthy he can be a pretty good compliment to what we have now and should be cheap given his recent history.

The names they had mentioned are:

Chris Johnson, RB, Tennessee Titans
Santonio Holmes, WR, New York Jets
Terrell Suggs, OLB, Baltimore Ravens
DeMarcus Ware, DE, Dallas Cowboys
Julius Peppers, DE, Chicago Bears

This was briefly touched on during the season but now the offseason is here and there seem to be a few cash strapped clubs out there that might have some big decisions to make i.e the pats with Wilfork.

This should be kept in mind when people are looking at possible FA scenarios.

Other big names who may not be living up to their billing:

Haloti Ngata DT Baltimore cap number 16M
Will Smith DE Saints 13.9M
N Suh DT Lions 22M (that is rediculous to me that he is getting paid that)
Chris Snee G 11M
Miles Austin WR

There are a few others but i just thought i'd get the ball rolling and

The Lions aren't cutting Suh, they're going to resign him.

I think Holmes is done to be honest so I would pass on him. Suggs and Peppers are really interesting from a pass rushing perspective, I wouldn't be against bringing either one of them to New England for the next 2-3 years, if their current deals weren't so high their respective teams wouldn't even consider cutting them.

DeMarcus Ware isn't going anywhere, he's safe in Dallas for sure. Chris Johnson...I honestly have no idea how to feel about him. He's had some great seasons then he's had some terrible ones, it's really hard to get a read on him. Besides, we have enough running backs as it is.

DeMarcus Ware has been on my radar since the season ended. It remains to be seen how effective he could be in a 4-3 (he didn't look that great this year but nobody on that defense did).

I do think Holmes still has something left to offer but he needs to get healthy. He was a moron for signing with the Jets, he did great things in Pittsburgh though.

Suggs is ugly on both the inside & outside. I don't want him anywhere near my ball club,
at any price.

The Lions aren't cutting Suh, they're going to resign him.

I think Holmes is done to be honest so I would pass on him. Suggs and Peppers are really interesting from a pass rushing perspective, I wouldn't be against bringing either one of them to New England for the next 2-3 years, if their current deals weren't so high their respective teams wouldn't even consider cutting them.

DeMarcus Ware isn't going anywhere, he's safe in Dallas for sure. Chris Johnson...I honestly have no idea how to feel about him. He's had some great seasons then he's had some terrible ones, it's really hard to get a read on him. Besides, we have enough running backs as it is.

The reality is i think when looking at these players and this discussion. If these guys didn't have ??? or warts then they wouldn't be getting cut (potentially).

To me it's interesting to look at the names and ask "who would i take a chance on". If proven fit I find Holmes intriguing as he would IMO compliment Dobson, Amendola and Gronk on the outside.

Demarcus Ware would be a dream come true. He played injured most of the season. I still think he has a lot of football left in him.

Ware can play LE, or RE and you can create a lot of confusion moving him and Chandler around the line.

Just imagine an overload blitz with Jones, Collins & Ware all coming off the same edge!

images

Over The Cap took a look at some potential cap casualties.

Potential 2014 Salary Cap Cuts - Over the Cap

There are a couple of interesting names here for me:

TE- Jermaine Gresham (I mentioned him in the TE thread in the draft forum)
TE- Marcedes Lewis- He's a huge target at 6'6" with good blocking skills and is a terror in the red zone. He has disapointed in Jacksonville but I would love to see what he could do with a decent QB.
TE- Owen Daniels- Buy low candidate after injury?
TE- Jacob Tamme- Steal one of Peyton's weapons?
RB- Mark Ingram- Loved him at Bamma and showed signs of life last season
WR- Sidney Rice- I love 1 year prove it contracts
CB- Cortland Finnegan- I can't believe I am even suggesting this because I personally despise this guy, but when healthy he is an excellent CB and would pair well with Talib on the outside. The big questions are can he still play and how would he fit in the lockeroom.

Suggs is ugly on both the inside & outside. I don't want him anywhere near my ball club,
at any price.

This!

I wouldn't bring that scum if he was willing to play for free. :mad:

I hope terrell slug comes to our division. I HATE THAT UGLY JEALOUS MAGGOT!! HE HATES THE PATRIOTS AND ANYBODY NFL PLAYER OR NOT THAT CAN ATTRACT GOOD LOOKING WOMEN. I KNOW I SOUND LIKE A BROKEN RECORD STATING MY JUSTIN BLACKMON. BUT I KNOW HE CAN MAKE OUR OFFENSE UNSTOPPABLE!! MAINLY CUZ WE HAVE SLIPPED WHILE SEVERAL TEAMS HAVE THRUSTED FORWARDIWE WE NEED A LEGIT #1!!!!!! If a defense keyed on him Tom Brady would strike like a lightning storm!!!! Anyways im off subject sorry. Terrell Slug lives couple blocks down in a new condos just built. He is primary reason Ravens fans most hated rival is the patriots. He is the leader bad mouthing our team with young players and fans surrounding Baltimore's federal hill and whole harbor area. Everybody is in uproar bout spygate and untill Tom Brady and the patriots prove they can win the Lombardi trophy post spygate that our SUPERBOWLS should have an asterisk by them and dont deserve to be recognized. HE RUNS HIS UGLY MOUTH ON SPORTSTALK RADIO STATIONS AND EVEN ROCK STATIONS WHEN ON SAYING IF WE WANT TO SHUT HIM UP ON HIS OPINIONS TO WIN A SUPERBOWL POST SPYGATE. HE HAS EVERY FAN IN BALTIMORE IN UPROAR SAYING TOM BRADY IS NFLs Diva and every official in the nfl is out to protect and not allow hits on him. It takes the enjoyment out of football if your a patriot fan in Baltimore!!!!! Forget ravens Steelers rivalry, the patriots are most hated team in Baltimore!!!! Hands down!!!! Then when they won last yr then super bowl. Being a patsfan was rough.
ANyways if peppers is cut he is our guy. HE IS SUCH A FREAK,EVEN IF HE LOSES A STEP HE IS STILL AWESOME!! Now,with players over conditioning and nutrition are important. Not interested in RBs or holmes. Owens best football is in past. GRESHAM IS INTERESTING,COULD EXPLODE AS A PATRIOT!! Dont think much of Dalton as a qb. He has all that talent yet struggles. SANU IS GOOD AS KEENAN ALLEN BUT DALTONS INCONSISTENT. IIT WOULD HOWEVER TAKE SEVERAL GOOD SOLID PLAYERS TO REPLACE What Blackmon could do for our offense!!!! Thats only thing i asked everybody to consider honestly and give a trt

Hate is a strong word and i don't use it with NFL players even Bernard Pollard but i tell you what i absolutely hate and detest Suggs. Biggest POS out there.

I hope terrell slug comes to our division. I HATE THAT UGLY JEALOUS MAGGOT!! HE HATES THE PATRIOTS AND ANYBODY NFL PLAYER OR NOT THAT CAN ATTRACT GOOD LOOKING WOMEN. I KNOW I SOUND LIKE A BROKEN RECORD STATING MY JUSTIN BLACKMON. BUT I KNOW HE CAN MAKE OUR OFFENSE UNSTOPPABLE!! MAINLY CUZ WE HAVE SLIPPED WHILE SEVERAL TEAMS HAVE THRUSTED FORWARDIWE WE NEED A LEGIT #1!!!!!! If a defense keyed on him Tom Brady would strike like a lightning storm!!!! Anyways im off subject sorry. Terrell Slug lives couple blocks down in a new condos just built. He is primary reason Ravens fans most hated rival is the patriots. He is the leader bad mouthing our team with young players and fans surrounding Baltimore's federal hill and whole harbor area. Everybody is in uproar bout spygate and untill Tom Brady and the patriots prove they can win the Lombardi trophy post spygate that our SUPERBOWLS should have an asterisk by them and dont deserve to be recognized. HE RUNS HIS UGLY MOUTH ON SPORTSTALK RADIO STATIONS AND EVEN ROCK STATIONS WHEN ON SAYING IF WE WANT TO SHUT HIM UP ON HIS OPINIONS TO WIN A SUPERBOWL POST SPYGATE. HE HAS EVERY FAN IN BALTIMORE IN UPROAR SAYING TOM BRADY IS NFLs Diva and every official in the nfl is out to protect and not allow hits on him. It takes the enjoyment out of football if your a patriot fan in Baltimore!!!!! Forget ravens Steelers rivalry, the patriots are most hated team in Baltimore!!!! Hands down!!!! Then when they won last yr then super bowl. Being a patsfan was rough.
ANyways if peppers is cut he is our guy. HE IS SUCH A FREAK,EVEN IF HE LOSES A STEP HE IS STILL AWESOME!! Now,with players over conditioning and nutrition are important. Not interested in RBs or holmes. Owens best football is in past. GRESHAM IS INTERESTING,COULD EXPLODE AS A PATRIOT!! Dont think much of Dalton as a qb. He has all that talent yet struggles. SANU IS GOOD AS KEENAN ALLEN BUT DALTONS INCONSISTENT. IIT WOULD HOWEVER TAKE SEVERAL GOOD SOLID PLAYERS TO REPLACE What Blackmon could do for our offense!!!! Thats only thing i asked everybody to consider honestly and give a trt
mmkay.png

Out of that main list, I'd only take Ware. Johnson looks like someone whose wheels may be beginning to fail him, Suggs has openly stated his dislike for Brady many times, and Peppers is long in the tooth and looks past his prime. Ware looks like a potential cap casualty and has experience in both the 3-4 and the 4-3. He's still got it, too. A DL rotation of Jones, Ware, Ninkovich, and Hightower (if they decide to move him down to DE and go more athletic in the LB corps) would be pretty potent.

Pay the man

t_suggs_110415_blog.jpg

Over The Cap took a look at some potential cap casualties.

Potential 2014 Salary Cap Cuts - Over the Cap

There are a couple of interesting names here for me:

CB- Cortland Finnegan- I can't believe I am even suggesting this because I personally despise this guy, but when healthy he is an excellent CB and would pair well with Talib on the outside. The big questions are can he still play and how would he fit in the lockeroom.

Innegan is past his prime, he is your typical "pest" ala Danny Ainge, AJ Pierzynski, et al.

Attachments

• B6ggY.jpg
    B6ggY.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 103
I hate Suggs, but with Suggs, Collins and Jones playing in the 3-4 would be very dangerous. He's a smart player with a chip on his shoulder.

But, I don't think we have the cap room to pay him, I also think he's a bit old school and hates the Patriots too much to come here

Jermaine Greisham would be a great add if he is cut by the Bengals. I don't see it happening though. Would love to see a 2 TE set with him and Gronk!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents