Not open for further replies.

Kontradiction

On my retirement tour.
PatsFans.com Supporter
2020 Weekly Picks Winner
2021 Weekly Picks Winner
2023 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
Yesterday, my father and I got into a converation about the two biggest stat machine quarterbacks of the past two decades: Marino and Manning. To make a long story short, I said that Marino never had the team that Manning has had for the past ten years or so. Originally, my point was on the defense and the running game. I pointed out that the Colts defenses since '06 have been pretty good (even leading the league two years ago) and that Manning had Edgerrin James in his prime as a running back behind him. Originally, my dad agreed. Then I made a point about the receivers that Manning had throughout the majority of his career, Harrison and Wayne and said that they were better than Duper and Clayton, whom Marino worked with in what some say were his best years. That's when my dad disagreed.

His driving point for stating that Duper and Clayton were better receivers that Harrison and Wayne was that Duper and Clayton (whom I will abbreviate as D&C from now on) played in a different time in the NFL. He said that D&C had to contend with DB's practically hanging off of their jerseys everytime they ran a route and that they still managed to be highly successful with Marino as their quarterback even in a time when the passing game didn't rule the league as it does now. My basic point was pointing out that Harrison will likely be a HOFer someday and has the statistics to back it up while Wayne is possibly the most crisp route runner in the league today. But I got to thinking that this would be a great thread for this forum, especially in the offseason. So basically, I invite Patsfans.com as well as any visiting Dolphins and Colts fans (so long as you aren't trolls) to take part in the discussion if you so wish. And mods, I know this should be in the NFL Forum, but I figured we could let this one slide for a little bit being that the forum has slowed down due to lack of NFL related or Patriots related news. :D

peyton is definitely the bigger stat machine. clayton and duper were ok, but harrison is a HOFer and Wayne is really good. take into account the new rules designed to protect QBs and WRs plus pass interference it is clear that Marino was better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST