PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Watching old Super Bowl games

Status
Not open for further replies.

sb1

PatsFans.com Retired Jersey Club
Reaction score
Watching SB43 right now.

We know what the story was with the refs and the Steelers in SB40 but I forgot how much the refs loved them some black and gold in this game too.

That touchdown at the end though

So hard not to yell again when Fitz dusted the Steeler secondary :D

Al Michaels:
“No Super Bowl game has ever gone to overtime... we’ve been close but not to overtime..”
“This game will be the biggest comeback in Super Bowl history if the Cardinals hang on. It was 11 points until now”
“Warner is now the #1 and #2 passer in Super Bowls”

Yeah well about that....:)

Had no opinion about Holmes as a Steeler but hated the guy as a Jet.

I think this game changed my mind about Warner as a HOF. Deserving. 3 SBs 2 teams and played well in all of them.

Character issues but very good imo
He was out of bounds.

Heat just won the 2006 NBA title now on ABC, with former Celtic Antoine Walker and future Celtic James Posey. After going up 2-0, Mavs lost a 13-point lead with six minutes to go in game 3 and never recovered.

The difference between Danny Ainge and Red Auerbach is obvious and measurable. Whereas 'Trader Danny' never saw a deal he didn't like, perhaps because he was dealt from the Celtics himself in a terrible trade; Auerbach has several players with title rings who were supposed to be over the hill, and several of whom do not possess "HOF-worthy" statistics, but are in there anyway.

After winning the title in 1986, within days Auerbach saw the pièce de résistance of his career, the drafting of Len Bias, turn into a nightmare and signaled the end of titles for the team for that era.

In 2008, James Posey was as instrumental in contributing to the Celtic's title as he had been for the Heat two years earlier. As expected, he became an unrestricted free agent. The passing of Auerbach left Tom Heinsohn as the preeminent basketball expert on the east coast, if not the country. Heinsohn immediately emphasized the importance of keeping Posey on the team. Anyone who watched the playoffs saw his clutch plays on both ends without which they may not have won.

But Danny knew better. He nickel-and-dimed negotiations and Posey got paid by New Orleans, at which time I said, "That's it. There will be no more titles for this team."

The Bulls and Lakers and Spurs all did what they had to do to win multiple titles. Danny did not.

In 2007-08, in the locker room the Celts played a regular card game with four players:

Paul Pierce, Kevin Garnett, Ray Allen,...and James Posey.

Hell of a game. Honestly aside from 49 and 51 this was probably the best SB of the post 2000’s

Watching SB43 right now.

We know what the story was with the refs and the Steelers in SB40 but I forgot how much the refs loved them some black and gold in this game too.
SB XXXI wrapping up on Fox now.

Most annoying thing in common with the first two Patriots Super Bowls besides losing is the presence of Jim McMahon. Barf.

I think this game changed my mind about Warner as a HOF. Deserving. 3 SBs 2 teams and played well in all of them.
Ummm...end-of-half Pick 6? It was, like, only the difference in the game 'n stuff...

Tremendous play by Harrison, all time IMO

I remember reading it was basically a freelance by Harrison to be in position for the pick. He was supposed to blitz. That makes it even more amazing.

Too bad the Pats couldn’t beat the Eagles in LII giving Harrison another ring at the Steelers expense :D

I remember reading it was basically a freelance by Harrison to be in position for the pick. He was supposed to blitz. That makes it even more amazing.
Yeah the TV announcers picked that up right away. Besides a tremendous individual effort, the team immediately adjusted and blocked well for him the other way.
HORRIBLE decision & throw regardless of Harrison's run...
That James wasn't supposed to be there doesn't excuse the throw, I guess. It seems obvious: in that situation, protect the ball, at least get the three. What happened was the worst case scenario for the Cards. It's a bang-bang play, and the QB - Warner, Wilson, Whoever - has to look, see and make a split second decision if it's there or not.

However, I've seen Montana and Brady throw equally horrible untimely picks down there, in the playoffs, at crucial moments.

Ummm...end-of-half Pick 6? It was, like, only the difference in the game 'n stuff...

Brady threw a pick six in Super Bowl 51 but still is applauded for his tremendous performance.

So I get what you are saying but it is possible to have a game in which a QB plays well despite making a pick six.

That was one mistake - more a great play by Harrison at that. He played well the rest of the game.

Even Brady had a pick 6 in SBLI and that was a worse decision and throw. Could have cost us that one too if the comeback fell short. Doesn’t mean he didn’t play well.

Brady threw a pick six in Super Bowl 51 but still is applauded for his tremendous performance.

So I get what you are saying but it is possible to have a game in which a QB plays well despite making a pick six.

And of course Law’s pick 6 in XXXVI. Technically that did cost them the game. But Warner still broke a SB passing record at the time against a very good defense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back