PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Washington Commanders sale “imminent” (update: sold for $6 billion)

Speaking of old-school Redskins, I wonder how George Allen would do in the modern social media era:

Allen brought with him his scrupulous discipline and attention to detail, which extended to practice-field protocol and dining-hall decorum. However, his autocratic coaching style did not play well with the new generation of NFL players, and a group of Ram players chafed at the regulations almost immediately. Some made their grievances public; a few, including standout linebacker Isiah Robertson, briefly left camp.
Allen was also notorious for his paranoia, regularly believing that his practices were being spied upon and that his offices were bugged. He even went as far as being the first coach in the NFL to employ a full-time security man, Ed Boynton, to keep potential spies away and patrol the woods outside Redskin Park.[14]

I hope that the new owners ditch the "Commanders" name. I'd rather them be called the Washinton MedicineMen using the old logo than the "Commanders" ..
This idea that using logos CREATED by Native Americans is someone an insult to the same is complete BS.

I hope that the new owners ditch the "Commanders" name. I'd rather them be called the Washinton MedicineMen using the old logo than the "Commanders" ..
This idea that using logos CREATED by Native Americans is someone an insult to the same is complete BS.
The right approach would have been for Snyder to work with Native American groups to find a name/logo/branding that would have raised the stature of both the team and of the Native Americans, but Snyder's not an adult, he's a child in a man's body. He got butthurt by the pushback on the name and decided to do what children do, put their fingers in their ears and do their own thing. Thus we got the stupid transition first to Football Team then Commanders. That alone should have gotten him suspended if not thrown out of the league for acting against the interests of the league, but at least up till that point in time Goodell had his back since Snyder was was a Goodell ball washer. Then at some point Snyder turned on Goodell and that was why we're seeing him being pushed out of the league.

• Winner
Reactions: PP2
I wonder if they'll change the name again. "Commanders" is such a ****ty name for an NFL team. Sounds like a minor league team.
as exciting as the Nats

To this point, looks like the NFL agrees with you; they think the price tag was a little disappointing. That’s the Snyder touch.
Owners are optimistic sale of Commanders will be approved, despite price being "a little disappointing" - ProFootballTalk
I sorta get it, the Washington franchise SHOULD be worth a good bit more than something like the Denver Broncos - bigger metropolitan area and a team with a bigger fan base (at least IMO). That said - the crap going on with Snyder combined with the poor rebranding effort has probably hurt their value a lot over the past few years. A new, better owner can probably get that turned around.

I sorta get it, the Washington franchise SHOULD be worth a good bit more than something like the Denver Broncos - bigger metropolitan area and a team with a bigger fan base (at least IMO). That said - the crap going on with Snyder combined with the poor rebranding effort has probably hurt their value a lot over the past few years. A new, better owner can probably get that turned around.
Exactly. It’s a distressed asset. Snyder had damaged the goods more than the rest of the owners realized.

also, DC is a bit of a tough market. A lot of the more desirable demographic are transients, transplants come here from home states when their campaign won, so carrying allegiance to the home team back home. The cadre of strong local support was so abused by Snyder that they’re recent sales history is not as strong and their demographic doesn’t carry as much weight in market analysis. It’s a blue collar fan base in a white collar town.

Exactly. It’s a distressed asset. Snyder had damaged the goods more than the rest of the owners realized.

also, DC is a bit of a tough market. A lot of the more desirable demographic are transients, transplants come here from home states when their campaign won, so carrying allegiance to the home team back home. The cadre of strong local support was so abused by Snyder that they’re recent sales history is not as strong and their demographic doesn’t carry as much weight in market analysis. It’s a blue collar fan base in a white collar town.
Part of it is the baggage that comes with. Many fences to be mended. Issue of a stadium in DC. I feel so terrible they only got 6 mill for it.

The DC fan base is great. If the new owner is competent, the fans will return. Despite the transients they will be on board. Probably this year to feel things out and next year likely new broom.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back