PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: These NIL deals in college are getting wild and creating chaos.

Last post on this.

Yes, NIL has cemented the top schools as the top schools. The turnover we are used to in college football, where different schools comprise top 5 programs and then recede, won't happen anymore if NIL continues as structured and continues to escalate. There's no reason that it should. Recruiting used to have ebbs and flows, but doesn't and won't. It's like the banking system now, but without the risk. Too big to fail.
The funny thing is you don't realize how much you contradict your own point by focusing on 5 schools. The #1 NIL spending team this year was Texas A&M. They didn't even make a bowl game. #3 was Oklahoma.
There was a massive shift in funding in the past three decades that essentially sidelined many schools from every being able to recruit to national contender level: West Virginia, BYU, Virginia Tech, many Big 10, Big 12, and PAC 10 schools that were potential top 5 teams just can't ever get there again, or if they do, it is a massive outlier.
whuh whuh huh..??!? If you think any of those schools were national championship caliber 10 years ago, you just don't follow college football.
Regarding the ACC, five teams have been ranked in the top 4 or in a bowl game with national championship potential in the past 20 years. None of them is recruiting into the top 5 any more. Even Virginia was #1 for a week in the early 90's. If Clemson has a disaster of a year and loses the ACC championship, the ACC winner won't be in the final four.
You are literally going back 30 years, finding every team that was ever ranked #1 for one single week, and calling them a national champion contender.

If we can magically grab every AP poll from now to 2053, we would see just as many teams. The ebb and flow will continue, you just can't see it yet. You will have dominant teams and you will have outliers.

You guys are declaring truth about all of higher ed based on observations of a very small percentage of colleges. Most don't have any of what you are talking about, the people who work there make small salaries, and they struggle year to year to break even. What happens with the few dozen big schools with big sports programs is inconsequential to the thousands that make up the middle of the bell curve.

And given the distribution of income in the US in the last two decades, most people are going to college with loans, which is threatening the entire business model of higher ed., because fewer and fewer degrees can justify the debt and lifelong financial setback.
Nationally, the number of administrative staff in higher education has doubled in the last 25 years, vastly outpacing the growth of faculty, according to the New England Center for Investigative Reporting. My wife taught for more than three decades at a moderate size private university and witnessed this happening on her own campus.

I don’t blame the Gators for not giving up that kind of cash to an 18-year old. Going forward, that money will probably be best spent in the transfer portal. Rashada looks legit, but he’s done nothing at the college level yet. I just hope we keep Lagway.

This is also why colleges put so much money into athletics. It's a huge marketing win.
I'm going to stay out of the philosophical issues here, and simply note, as evidence, that TCU has already seen an increase in applications for next fall.

College Football is a multi billon dollar business and up until now, the colleges (and coaches) were the only ones getting any of this money. Hey if you want to pay Jimmy Highschool QB, a coupe of million so he will play for your favorite team, while cutting commercials for your used car lot. None of that will bother me.
I don't know enough about this issue to know what the correct solution is.

But I know that the NCAA's previous stance—that college athletes basically were the only ones who couldn't be allowed to profit from their talent, because it would somehow taint college athletics—was hypocritical and unsustainable.

Gotta wonder how many of these situations will wind up biting colleges in the butt. It is difficult to assess how a college player will translate his skills into the NFL, imagine how difficult it will be for a HS kid translating his skills into College football??
What is the motivation for a kid who gets this kind of money to excel in football??
If someone gave an 18 year old $13M, he could invest it and never have to work another day in his life, never mind the rigors of football.

Gotta wonder how many of these situations will wind up biting colleges in the butt. It is difficult to assess how a college player will translate his skills into the NFL, imagine how difficult it will be for a HS kid translating his skills into College football??
What is the motivation for a kid who gets this kind of money to excel in football??
If someone gave an 18 year old $13M, he could invest it and never have to work another day in his life, never mind the rigors of football.
While true, knowing teens (and star athletes) and their handle on finances, the word ‘could’ is true, but unlikely to become ‘will’.

I get the impression that if someone gave you or I 13M$, we’d make better choices than an 18 year old who’s been idolized over half of their life.

While true, knowing teens (and star athletes) and their handle on finances, the word ‘could’ is true, but unlikely to become ‘will’.

I get the impression that if someone gave you or I 13M$, we’d make better choices than an 18 year old who’s been idolized over half of their life.
If someone gave me 13M I'd have to hide it from my wife. Otherwise I'd have a house full of shoes, dresses and jewelry.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back