PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: The Case for Eliot Wolf to be Elevated to General Manager in Front Office

Status
Not open for further replies.
We do need new voices in the front office for sure, but unless BB starts letting other voices into his ears, its going to be the same thing over and over again.

Yes. Offense has declined every year. It's not getting better. We need new voices. Time to change it up.

talent solves the production problems!

all those wasted second round defensive back picks!

Bust offensive picks and yup the bust CB high picks. Based on the crappy CB metrics system developed by McDaniels/Caserio. Happy to link to the Wickersham article about it.

Bust offensive picks and yup the bust CB high picks. Based on the crappy CB metrics system developed by McDaniels/Caserio. Happy to link to the Wickersham article about it.

so how can a guy find a ton of UDFA’s and guys like Edelman and onwenu in the 6th and 7th round and struggle so much early in the draft?

nobody watched more film on prophecy’s than bb. How could he let his staff talk him into such reaches in the draft?

so how can a guy find a ton of UDFA’s and guys like Edelman and onwenu in the 6th and 7th round and struggle so much early in the draft?

nobody watched more film on prophecy’s than bb. How could he let his staff talk him into such reaches in the draft?

1. Belichick is still an elite GM for the entire body of work including UDFA and low picks.
2. Part of this is he's the greatest coach ever so guys like Meyers and Edelman and Butler and JC Jackson get way better.
3. The high bust picks tell me the idiotic McDaniels CB/WR scouting system developed 15 years ago is garbage so we keep burning 2nd/1st round picks, but get saved by coaching up UDFA and lower pick guys.

Terrible news to hear Ziegler is staying.

Time to immediately promote Eliot Wolf to GM to clarify these roles.

Terrible news to hear Ziegler is staying.

Time to immediately promote Eliot Wolf to GM to clarify these roles.

ziegler sees the dysfunction in Denver ownership and bails. Maybe he is smarter than he is given credit for?

ziegler sees the dysfunction in Denver ownership and bails. Maybe he is smarter than he is given credit for?

Word is Belichick had a mtg with him this morning then he dropped out of Denver. Very bad sign if this dude stays. Time to elevate Eliot Wolf.

Does somebody always deserve credit when a draft pick is successful, or blame when it isn't? I don't think we can just ignore the massive amount of luck and randomness that goes into this. For example, Belichick admitted that they saw Onwenu as a backup guard, and that it was basically luck that they got a high quality tackle. A few years ago, the Cardinals were on the phone to pick Ameer Abdullah at 55, but had to settle for David Johnson at 86 because Abdullah was taken at 54. The Ravens risked losing Lamar Jackson because they absolutely needed to pick Hayden Hurst first.

That makes things complicated enough. So after all that is done, I'm not sure how you then divvy up the appropriate amount of credit to individual members of the scouting staff.

On a more specific note, this thread is basically a copy of the O'Shea OC thread. They're both fine candidates for promotions based on what they did prior to 2020. We don't need to assume that they were both secretly super important in 2020 beyond what we know their job titles were. It's becoming apparent that this isn't really about O'Shea and Wolf, but about puffing up their resumes as much as possible in order to get rid of the guys you don't want around.
What is this logical take? Don't you know we are only allowed to scream about how Belichick is AWFUL and this team is AWFUL and we need new voices who will tell Bill he does everything WRONG??? Geez, get with the program, man...

What is this logical take? Don't you know we are only allowed to scream about how Belichick is AWFUL and this team is AWFUL and we need new voices who will tell Bill he does everything WRONG??? Geez, get with the program, man...
He is indeed AWFUL at drafting now. That is Inarguable.

Last edited:
If you promote a GM if would actually reconsider my interest in the team.. "Hey Bill, you answer to Eliot now". If you strip Bill of his GM power i am 95% he will leave.

Saying that the 2020 draft was the best in years is not really high praise since the previous drafts set a very low bar. Remember, Rohrwasser, Asiasi and Keene were also chosen and there is a real possibility all three will be gone.

Why would anyone assume Asiasi or Keene could be gone ? They red shirted their first year after having no offseason, a limited preseason and spending substantial amount of time during the season on IR. I guess we should have gotten rid of James White as well after he did nothing at all in his first year.

The thoughts some people have are getting dumber and dumber.

If you promote a GM if would actually reconsider my interest in the team.. "Hey Bill, you answer to Eliot now". If you strip Bill of his GM power i am 95% he will leave.
He's leaving sooner than later anyway, so...

I think the reporting structure needs to be fixed. What about Belichick as HC but also VP. Then create a GM role under him who manages the Dir of Players. This allows Eliot Wolf to be GM and a little runway for crappy Ziegler to Director. Right now the org chart limits growth if Belichick is GM and the only job next is Director of Players. If we lose Wolf this team is absolutely screwed with Ziegler and McDaniels giving the worst opinions possible to Belichick's ear .

I think the reporting structure needs to be fixed. What about Belichick as HC but also VP. Then create a GM role under him who manages the Dir of Players. This allows Eliot Wolf to be GM and a little runway for crappy Ziegler to Director. Right now the org chart limits growth if Belichick is GM and the only job next is Director of Players. If we lose Wolf this team is absolutely screwed with Ziegler and McDaniels giving the worst opinions possible to Belichick's ear .
You're so desperate to keep a guy whose current role is entirely unknown that you want to give him a title that was never even given to Caserio?

I dont understand the burning, yearning desire for eliot wolf to be named GM of the Patriots. He's never held that position before, and has always been passed over when he was in the running. What makes him so special that you spam multiple threads on the boards promoting him?

Has he done something special in the past?

Or is it you just seeking to foment chaos by consistently and persistently endorsing wolf while tearing down every single guy or gal in the personnel department?

I am genuinely curious.

I dont understand the burning, yearning desire for eliot wolf to be named GM of the Patriots. He's never held that position before, and has always been passed over when he was in the running. What makes him so special that you spam multiple threads on the boards promoting him?

Has he done something special in the past?

Or is it you just seeking to foment chaos by consistently and persistently endorsing wolf while tearing down every single guy or gal in the personnel department?

I am genuinely curious.

Wolf was assistant GM already which is more than anyone on the Patriots staff. Unless you want to count Ziegler in charge of pro personnel when we traded a 2nd for Sanu as good experience. Wolf made good changes in Cleveland and also part of a winning Packers franchise. His biggest knock was GMs typically aren't that young.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down