PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: "Student Shamed over NFL Jersey"

Status
Not open for further replies.
PATSNUTme said:
I don't assume that you do. However I would assume the you read al of the other post since you were so fired up about this.

It is one thing to "harass" each other the way we do here with mostly light hearted banter. We are all adults.......BUT, this was one adult "leading" a group of kids against another kid. I am sure the Elway kid got crap from his classmates all day, but when an adult in the position of power gets involved that turns this into something else.....

Look, we are dealing with more than couple of idiots here.

1. The teacher for doing what he did. Doesn't seem to be part of and "experiment" as I had originally thought. As I said before, if it was an experiment he should have had the kid go along with it. But now it seems to be more of a teacher getting carried away with himself and he should be suspended at the least.

2. The kid for wearing that shirt. First amendment right, my ass. He purposely wore that shirt to school to cause trouble and he knew it. He has no right to wear something to school that could provoke violence.

3. The kids parents. They knew he had the shirt. They should have talked to him the moment that a Denver-Pitt game came to be. They should have told him not to wear the shirt out of the house. Don't they have any concern for the safety of their own kid? Don't they respect the fact that live in Steelers country?

4. The school administration. They should have suspended the teacher on the spot AND the kid. Every school district has policies about wearing cloths that may provoke violence. Every school district has policies about teachers humiliating students and putting them in harms way.

There - no joking . That is what I actually seriously think about this situation.

Now,that tired me out and I'm going to visit the cheerleaders first and then to the parking lot after.

What - no applause?? I joke around and get **** dumped on me. I get serious and met with cold silence.

I guess the old song is true: Sometimes you're the windshield and sometimes you're the bug.

PATSNUTme said:
What - no applause?? I joke around and get **** dumped on me. I get serious and met with cold silence.

I guess the old song is true: Sometimes you're the windshield and sometimes you're the bug.

And sometimes, you'e the driver :p

PATSNUTme said:
I don't assume that you do. However I would assume the you read al of the other post since you were so fired up about this.

I get fired up about this becuase I had a teacher go after my son last year for wearing a Patriots shirt right before the SB. My son was in the 5th grade. The teacher got on him because he was from NC and spent time in Philly. He tore up my son's test and dared him to do soemthing about it. When my son told me about it I confronted the teacher and he laughed. "I have tenure..I have been teaching for 10 years & no one is going to believe you". The problem for this idiot is that he said it as the student council was doing a video tour of the school for a project. He was caught on tape. I took the tape to school board and they tried to pass it off "just kidding". They changed there mind when the local TV station picked up the story and was going to run with it. The local teachers union tried to save his job and almost pulled it of. I managined to get the tape on my local access tv program right before the school board meeting when they were going to discuss the issue.

After the schoolboard was deluged with phone calls and emails the teacher was let go at the end of the end of the year. He did not return to school after thet tape made its way out over local access cable. he went on some sort of leave.

Teachers are there to teach. They should do their job.

aabtec said:
Teachers are there to teach. They should do their job.

Absolutely correct, if only the administrators would let them.

My wife is a teacher and has been for many years. She puts in very long hours during the school year. And, parents are getting dumber every year.

But, the fact is that they are some teachers who should not be allowed in the class room. And, tenure & the unions will protect the bad ones- the good one don't need it.

Every profession has the very good, the good, the average, the poor, and the ones who bring shame the profession.

I didn't think you needed applause. You gave a serious, well-reasoned analysis of the subject, which no one should object to.

PATSNUTme said:

1. The teacher for doing what he did. Doesn't seem to be part of and "experiment" as I had originally thought. As I said before, if it was an experiment he should have had the kid go along with it. But now it seems to be more of a teacher getting carried away with himself and he should be suspended at the least.

2. The kid for wearing that shirt. First amendment right, my ass. He purposely wore that shirt to school to cause trouble and he knew it. He has no right to wear something to school that could provoke violence.

3. The kids parents. They knew he had the shirt. They should have talked to him the moment that a Denver-Pitt game came to be. They should have told him not to wear the shirt out of the house. Don't they have any concern for the safety of their own kid? Don't they respect the fact that live in Steelers country?

4. The school administration. They should have suspended the teacher on the spot AND the kid. Every school district has policies about wearing cloths that may provoke violence. Every school district has policies about teachers humiliating students and putting them in harms way.

There - no joking . That is what I actually seriously think about this situation.

Now,that tired me out and I'm going to visit the cheerleaders first and then to the parking lot after.

PATSNUTme said:

The kid shouldn't be blamed for wearing the jersey. He may have worn it to turn heads, but wearing football jerseys is the trend of the times in high schools. This may sound weird, but at my high school last year, even if a kid was a cowboys fan, they could still be seen at school wearing a TO or McNabb Jersey. It is a little different to be wearing the rival jersey before a big game, but it was a John Elway jersey. I don't know if it was the current Broncos style jersey, but throwbacks and great player's jerseys are very popular. It would be another thing if he came in wearing a jake plummer or rod smith jersey. Even if he did wear the jersey to turn head, he wasn't expecting harrassment from a TEACHER. If it was other students, then we'd all be here saying, "well the kid had it coming". He shouldn't have to expect harrassment from a teacher right before a MIDTERM

Ya know, I love football. I love the strategy, the hits, the excitement. I like the fact that it can teach valuable life lessons. I'm starting to wonder, however, if football fandom has any redeeming social value. It seems to bring out the worst in people. Rarely the best, often the worst.

If you're reading this and thinking "he's not talking about me", fine. I'm not talking about you. But you know who I'm talking about.

I can't imagine putting any team above any kid's education or wellbeing, under any circumstances.

Pats_Bryan said:
I can't imagine putting any team above any kid's education or wellbeing, under any circumstances.

He's a Broncos fan - he doesn't deserve an education. :p

Of course it was a John Elway jersey. That's the last time they won a playoff game.

FSUPatsFan said:
The kid shouldn't be blamed for wearing the jersey. He may have worn it to turn heads, but wearing football jerseys is the trend of the times in high schools. This may sound weird, but at my high school last year, even if a kid was a cowboys fan, they could still be seen at school wearing a TO or McNabb Jersey. It is a little different to be wearing the rival jersey before a big game, but it was a John Elway jersey. I don't know if it was the current Broncos style jersey, but throwbacks and great player's jerseys are very popular. It would be another thing if he came in wearing a jake plummer or rod smith jersey. Even if he did wear the jersey to turn head, he wasn't expecting harrassment from a TEACHER. If it was other students, then we'd all be here saying, "well the kid had it coming". He shouldn't have to expect harrassment from a teacher right before a MIDTERM

FSUPatsFan said:

I guess we will have to disagree on that.

Dealing with the reality and not the emotion,in some way, the kid is fortunate that is all that happened to him. He was playing with fire.

I'm not talking about the idiot teacher. I'm talking about some bad ass student that might have inflicted grave bodily injury on him. Like it or not, agree or not, we all know that there are some at that age looking for any reason to kick someone ass, or worse.

Why walk around with an open invitation.

For what it's worth, it sounds like the kid isn't even a Broncos fan. He's just a sports fan who wears jerseys of different players and teams every day, and he never thought of an Elway jersey as any big statement...after all, to him John Elway is some remote historical figure! :eek: So it sounds like he wasn't trying to stir the pot...the most you can tag him with is a jumbo-sized case of terminal stupidity.

As for the teacher, his greatest acts of stupidity came after the ill-advised joke. Once it becomes obvious that the kid is genuinely upset, you have to realize your mistake and call off the dogs. If you're too thick to see that, then at least when a furious, shaking student hands in a half-completed exam you realize your mistake, apologize, and give him a second chance at the test. If you're too boneheaded even for that, maybe you could at least refrain from joking about it and making fun of the kid to a friggin' newspaper reporter. Hello, are you TRYING to make your school look so bad they have to fire you to cover their own asses?

Patchick, everyone has ther own take on this. Mine is that the kid couldn't have been that innocent or stupid to just happen to grab an Elway shirt.

Not during the week that the Steelers play the Bronco's in the playoffs. He was trying to draw attention to himself and he did- in a bad way.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

wow your not allowed to wear other teams jerseys and should be suspended? what school did you goto? When i was in HS kids wore other teams jerseys all the time.. I dont see the big deal with him wearing an elway jersey..

what the teacher did was wrong.. Had he informed the kid prior to doing this and the kid agreed, theres no issue at all.. but doing this to someone without their permission is just plain wrong.. should the teacher lose his job? im on the fence about it.. if a teacher ever did that to me i might of taken a swing at him.. just reading his quotes, hes arrogant.. all he cared about was he was a steelers fan and wanted to show how much tougher he thinks he is than the kid..

Joshua said there were "papers flying everywhere towards me. At one point, a girl refused to do it and he (Kelly) took the paper off her desk and threw it into the back of my head."
Kelly had little to say on the subject. "We won the game (Sunday) night, didn't we?" he said. "That's all I was worried about."

thats not someone who is trying to teach a school lesson..

Last edited:
Chris said:
wow your not allowed to wear other teams jerseys and should be suspended? what school did you goto? When i was in HS kids wore other teams jerseys all the time.. I dont see the big deal with him wearing an elway jersey..

what the teacher did was wrong.. Had he informed the kid prior to doing this and the kid agreed, theres no issue at all.. but doing this to someone without their permission is just plain wrong.. should the teacher lose his job? im on the fence about it.. if a teacher ever did that to me i might of taken a swing at him.. just reading his quotes, hes arrogant.. all he cared about was he was a steelers fan and wanted to show how much tougher he thinks he is than the kid..

Those rose colored glasses must make the world look nice to you.

Having done risk management for several school districts, I can tell you that, during that week, that Bronco's shirt would have been viewed as being provocative. Any other week it wouldn't have been.

Nothing excuses the teachers behavior. However, saying the student had clean hands is just plain naive.

He's really lucky that some kids didn't jump him and beat the crap out of him. His Constitutional Rights would not have done him any good then.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots