PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Sammy Watkins Just Became Ridiculously Overpaid

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mahomes and Hunt are on their rookie deals for 3 more years......Hill is on a rookie deal for 2 more years

spending this money on watkins is insignificant at the moment

or put it this way......coradelle patterson has about the same cap hit as Kareem Hunt, Tyreke Hill, and Patrick Mahomes combined

if i'm spending 16 mil a year on a reciever, I'd rather try and pry antonio brown from the steelers.

giving sammy watkins 16 mil a year because other guys on the roster are less expensive is silly. so so silly.

if i'm spending 16 mil a year on a reciever, I'd rather try and pry antonio brown from the steelers.

giving sammy watkins 16 mil a year because other guys on the roster are less expensive is silly. so so silly.

If I'm paying $16M per year for a receiver, at a bare minimum he'd better be a whole ****ing hell of a lot better than Sammy Watkins.

If I'm paying $16M per year for a receiver, at a bare minimum he'd better be a whole ****ing hell of a lot better than Sammy Watkins.
I'd even go so far as to say a TOP 20 receiver (trending/skill set)....of all time.

Some of you seem to think salary numbers are static. The cap has gone up more than just 10 bucks a year lately. Salaries are going to go up, as a result.

true, but Brown isn't available....and you wonldn't get him for 3/48 ...... 6/96, maybe

Last edited:
Some of you seem to think salary numbers are static. The cap has gone up more than just 10 bucks a year lately. Salaries are going to go up, as a result.

watkins is a 7.8M cap hit this year and a 19M cap hit in 2019.....the chiefs don't get killed if dump him after 2 years

I think most posters here are generally well aware of that, which is why when Mike Evans and DeAndre Hopkins get market-setting deals that pay them more than objectively better receivers, people generally understand what happened. The market went up, which is why they can make more than Antonio Brown and Julio Jones and that's really not a huge deal. They got paid market rate in a different market.

But that cannot account for Sammy Watkins being paid like an elite WR in 2018 money, because he's nowhere close to one. This is on par with Tavon Austin's deal where a team just inexplicably pays top-tier money to a guy who was drafted too high and then spent 4 years showing no indication that he was anywhere near being a top-tier receiver.

I think most posters here are generally well aware of that, which is why when Mike Evans and DeAndre Hopkins get market-setting deals that pay them more than objectively better receivers, people generally understand what happened. The market went up, which is why they can make more than Antonio Brown and Julio Jones and that's really not a huge deal. They got paid market rate in a different market.

But that cannot account for Sammy Watkins being paid like an elite WR in 2018 money, because he's nowhere close to one. This is on par with Tavon Austin's deal where a team just inexplicably pays top-tier money to a guy who was drafted too high and then spent 4 years showing no indication that he was anywhere near being a top-tier receiver.

It's easy to account for Watkins getting paid like that, and it's funny as hell to hear Patsfans.com posters deride the deal. "You don't pay for past results. You pay for what you expect in the future" is the mantra that's shouted from the rooftops around here, after all. And there's no question that a healthy Watkins has the potential to be a tier 1/1a WR.

On paper, the Chiefs, Pats, Texans and Steelers all look very strong next year, with the Jags, Titans and Raiders in the mix as well.

It's easy to account for Watkins getting paid like that, and it's funny as hell to hear Patsfans.com posters deride the deal. "You don't pay for past results. You pay for what you expect in the future" is the mantra that's shouted from the rooftops around here, after all. And there's no question that a healthy Watkins has the potential to be a tier 1/1a WR.

No way. Even when healthy the guy's average. Wasn't he healthy this year? He's getting paid because of the name and how he was in college but his NFL career has been somewhat lackluster.

Yes way.

but his NFL career has been somewhat lackluster

His NFL career has been marred by a foot injury where he was rushed back and suffered setbacks as a result.

Look, I'm not saying Watkins is Julio Jones. What I'm saying is that you can make a legitimate argument for paying him well, because he's a very talented player, you can make a case that he's worth the gamble, and there was an obvious market for his services.

I understand what KC is trying to do. Offset the balance between rookie QB and elite WR. But wow. Definitely a gamble.
He isn't an elite WR and this is why all the people who whine that the Pats aren't paying market value are full of it. Market value is established by brain damaged moves like this and it's a major reason behind teams now winning.

He isn't an elite WR and this is why all the people who whine that the Pats aren't paying market value are full of it. Market value is established by brain damaged moves like this and it's a major reason behind teams now winning.

I didn't word that correctly. I meant they were trying to get their rookie QB a good target to throw to. Somehow balance between QB and Elite receiver came out of my head. I'm not sure if that even made any sense.

I wouldn't pay a cent more than the Packers paid for Don Hutson in 1945. He was better than Sammy Watkins and he only got paid $15,000 a year!

I wouldn't pay a cent more than the Packers paid for Don Hutson in 1945.
That’s an oddly specific example, so much that I’m going to lean towards your use of sarcasm—although I’m still not 100% sure. :D

Brown, OBJ & co will be looking at 20m+ contracts when all is said and done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes