PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Romo retiring. Going into broadcasting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree. It was genuinely comical. But I don't remember "He got debacled" What do you suppose that word meant?
it's a little known fact that the "bacle" is the small snap that connects the chinstrap to the helmet. so to get "de-bacled" means that you were tackled so hard that your helmet came off.

similar to getting "de-cleated".

emmitt actually got a patent for an improved design for a bacle which is less prone to coming undone. so it makes sense that he would be familiar with that obscure term.

escapegoat_d9900991cb2e2a3a6c1474242a22dca6.jpg
Why can't I like this post, find it funny AND label it winner? No more binary choices!!

They must have heard that huge outcry across New England for MORE GARY TANGUAY
It's interesting though. They are making these guys work for their money finally. Felger has his 4 hour show on the radio, then he immediately switches over to a 2 hour tv show. Michael Holley has HIS 4 hour show on the radio and has to switch over to do a THREE hour show till midnight.

Although I do wonder how Holley ended up over there, since his radio show is WEEI and Felger is part of the CSN set.

Why does everyone make Emmitt Smith the escape goat for bad vocabulary and analysis?

"Winner" or "Funny" doesn't seem adequate for this post, I think that we need a new button, "Best Post of the Month", and each Patsfan member can only hit it once per month (....no, Ian, I'm not really seriously trying to add to your already gigantic workload, but let me dream... :D ).

it's a little known fact that the "bacle" is the small snap that connects the chinstrap to the helmet. so to get "de-bacled" means that you were tackled so hard that your helmet came off.

similar to getting "de-cleated".

emmitt actually got a patent for an improved design for a bacle which is less prone to coming undone. so it makes sense that he would be familiar with that obscure term.

Timing is everything. This would be one of the funnier posts of the year, but unfortunately it came just after the "escape goat" one that locked the prize up. :D

Say what you will about his being a winner, or loser, when the games mattered, but one thing Romo was is tough. He played through pain and with serious injuries all the time. I kinda wish he went to play for a good team with a shot before hanging them up. I think the Texans would be a legit contender with him under center.

Should receive Hall of Fame consideration as one of the best quarterbacks of his generation, but I suspect the media has bought its own false 'choker' narrative.

While he's better than generally given credit for - he DID have to deal with the magnificent GM that is Jerreh - how many QBs do you feel are Hall-worthy at any given time?

Contemporary players that I feel are more worthy than Romo:

Brady, Manning, Brees, Big Ben, Rodgers, Warner (inductee already).

There's cases to be made for Rivers (productive without team success, like Romo) and Eli (two rings sways a lot of old-timey voters) as well. He was good, but given how passing stats have exploded, I think he's more like a McNabb - a quality player that most teams would love to have, but clearly not a Hall of Famer.

Jesus God, they've stuck Felger with him and increased his show from 30 minutes to 2 hours!

I had it on in the back ground last night. The show is starting off quite boring and painful.. I don't really understand what they are going for. I actually laughed a couple times at how bad it was.

It's interesting that the quarterback who replaced Drew Bledsoe in 2001 is still playing and the guy who replaced Bledsoe in 2006 is retiring.

say what you will about Romo, this is good news for the patriots. If he went to the broncos or texans he would greatly improve those teams from the garbage they have at QB now and put them closer on a compete level to the Patriots.

unless the steelers/raiders defenses improve overnight I dont see a team over-taking the pats this year in the AFC IMO

While he's better than generally given credit for - he DID have to deal with the magnificent GM that is Jerreh - how many QBs do you feel are Hall-worthy at any given time?

Contemporary players that I feel are more worthy than Romo:

Brady, Manning, Brees, Big Ben, Rodgers, Warner (inductee already).

There's cases to be made for Rivers (productive without team success, like Romo) and Eli (two rings sways a lot of old-timey voters) as well. He was good, but given how passing stats have exploded, I think he's more like a McNabb - a quality player that most teams would love to have, but clearly not a Hall of Famer.
I agree. I just wanted to add that McNabb is up for consideration. So if he's getting consideration, maybe Romo will too? Personally, I don't think either deserve to be in.

This sucks. Football would have been a lot more interesting next year if had signed with Houston or Denver.

News like this makes you appreciate Brady even more.............

After all Tony Romo was once considered one of the annual stars of the league. It's amazing to think that his career started after Brady and has ended before.

Another stat that will increase our love for Brady is this........with all of the fan hype and appreciation for Romo (NFL home page had an article discussing if he was a Hall Of Famer), it's amazing to think he's had a total of only TWO career playoff victories!

Why does everyone make Emmitt Smith the escape goat for bad vocabulary and analysis?

There seems to be some confusion regarding whether "escape goat" is the correct term. So, (pompously clearing my throat) I thought it would be helpful to clear up the confusion. The definition of "scape goat" is as follows in the dictionary:

scape·goat (ˈskāpˌɡōt/)
noun: scapegoat; plural noun: scapegoats

1. a person who is blamed for the wrongdoings, mistakes, or faults of others, especially for reasons of expediency.

2. (in the Bible) a goat sent into the wilderness after the Jewish chief priest had symbolically laid the sins of the people upon it (Leviticus).

3.) (In the NFL) a GOAT sent into the wilderness for four weeks after the NFL commissioner had speciously laid the sins of his people upon him (Berman).

Last edited:
Nice to see our good friend, Chris Simms, is a little salty over the whole thing.

What goes around, comes around, Chris.

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
Back