PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Replying to Old Threads

Ian

Administrator
Staff member
ADMINISTRATOR
Reaction score
Just a quick note - it's O.K. to start new threads even if a player/topic may have been discussed previously. If you get prompted for a "similar thread" and the previous thread is a month or longer old, especially if it's either a new take or new information, go ahead and start a new thread. Replying to old threads is confusing and also prevents people from seeing new information.

Neither myself, @Ross12 or @mike_usagisan will ever be mad at people for bringing either a new report or a new opinion on a recent event to an OP. So don't feel like starting a new thread is an issue, especially if the only previous relevant thread is from a while ago and wouldn't immediately help people be aware of whatever new development is going on. :cool:

Last edited:
For some reason I just default to reviving an old thread if it's on a topic I want to post on. Good to know.
No worries. I moved one of yours and the replies into a new one, just makes it easier for people to read and reply to and it was a good topic. The old one, I believe, should appear underneath as a "Similar Thread" once the internal thing indexes the new one.

Neither myself, @Ross12 or @mike_usagisan will ever be mad at people for bringing either a new report or a new opinion on a recent event to an OP. So don't feel like starting a new thread is an issue, especially if the only previous relevant thread is from a while ago and wouldn't immediately help people be aware of whatever new development is going on. :cool:
So you are going to be mad at us eternally?

damn... thats cold Ian... really cold...

Just wondering - from a code perspective how tough would it be to add a condition. If the reply is to a thread where the last post is older than X, clicking reply starts a new thread with a link to the old.

Auto-subject could be "Reference: {original thread title}". Body would have a link to that thread, then the comments from the poster.

Especially useful when your old thread gets deleted without warning or explanation.

Just wondering - from a code perspective how tough would it be to add a condition. If the reply is to a thread where the last post is older than X, clicking reply starts a new thread with a link to the old.

Auto-subject could be "Reference: {original thread title}". Body would have a link to that thread, then the comments from the poster.
Not tough at all - at least if you're the one who wrote the original code. The toughest part of things like this is just the time involved to trace backwards through the code and then obviously make the modifications. But I agree with you, that would be how I would handle it and I have a list of things I'll dig into at some point, this included.

Especially useful when your old thread gets deleted without warning or explanation.
Threads are rarely deleted. Individual posts, yes, occasionally, but threads are almost never removed. Even posts, those are removed less and instead muted to between the people having the conversation, allowing those to just continue between those people without interrupting the rest of a thread, or venturing off topic.

Not tough at all - at least if you're the one who wrote the original code. The toughest part of things like this is just the time involved to trace backwards through the code and then obviously make the modifications. But I agree with you, that would be how I would handle it and I have a list of things I'll dig into at some point, this included.
Seeing as my sum-total knowledge is linear - mostly powershell scripts to automate some functions with the occasional "if" thrown in - I defer to you, sir. Almost seems like it would be plug-in level, or at least worthy of that.

• Agree
Reactions: Ian
Seeing as my sum-total knowledge is linear - mostly powershell scripts to automate some functions with the occasional "if" thrown in - I defer to you, sir. Almost seems like it would be plug-in level, or at least worthy of that.
Exactly. That’s basically how this software is set up, most changes are usually in line code replacement by creating a plug-in. So it’s just a matter of locating it, breaking it down and rewriting it.

Threads are rarely deleted. Individual posts, yes, occasionally, but threads are almost never removed. Even posts, those are removed less and instead muted to between the people having the conversation, allowing those to just continue between those people without interrupting the rest of a thread, or venturing off topic.
I am the proud past owner of a thread that got removed. I no longer recall the exact subject, but it was pretty lame attempt at snarky humor, so its demise was all for the best :haha:

Last edited:
Yeah, there were a couple of old thread bumps this week that had me all confused before looking at the date stamp on the OP.

I thought being mad was the default setting for posting here.

alice in wonderland smile GIF

...and some of us may or may not be a trifle off put seeming from time to time as well

Just a quick note - it's O.K. to start new threads even if a player/topic may have been discussed previously. If you get prompted for a "similar thread" and the previous thread is a month or longer old, especially if it's either a new take or new information, go ahead and start a new thread. Replying to old threads is confusing and also prevents people from seeing new information.

Thanks Ian. I saw Larry Fitzgerald at Logan yesterday and I’m going to start a thread about it ASAP.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back