PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Realized I am a spoiled Patriots fan today

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think that most of the fanbase realize how lucky they have it. Instead it's more like "what have you done for me lately"

Very few Pats fans, if any, have that attitude.

We certainly have the riches.

Between 6 3GTG blu rays and 6 NFL Champions Blu rays that's 12 to choose from.

Ok, so half are dvd (not blu rays) but you get the point.

We certainly have the riches.

Between 6 3GTG blu rays and 6 NFL Champions Blu rays that's 12 to choose from.

Ok, so half are dvd (not blu rays) but you get the point.

I'd love to see Kraft work with NFL films to clean up the footage and put out a yearbook for some of the older teams (76, 78, 85 come to mind). Enhanced film, lots of commentary from the guys who were there.

I watched as a coach was nearly electrocuted by a microphone at his initial press conference..
Face it Phil, Rush was electrocuted by the microphone

But that was classic comedy relief, like the fire in the stands...made us lovable
I watched another bug out for a return to college on the eve of a playoff game
Sullivan's fault, although Chuck ultimately regretted leaving. I regret them playing Grogan in the meaningless Week 16 Monday nighter in the Orange Bowl when he hurt his knee rendering him useless vs. the Oilers a week later. Domino effect. Losing Stingley, Adams and Smith hurt us too that year. Still won the division anyway.
And another leave on the eve of a Super Bowl.
Parcells is Parcells. I guess ultimately I have to blame Ray Perkins for losing to the Packers. He (like most Patriots fans, obviously) was all starry-eyed about Bledsoe passing for 4,000 yards, blind to the fact that Drew would never be confused with Grogan, Flutie, Plunkett or Montana.

Hand the ball to Curtis, commit to the run. That's how you control the game. That's how you win.
I wore Pats jerseys
I never have nor will have the stomach to wear a blue jersey

It's bad enough looking at them

Yep. The first team to win 3 road playoff games to get to a SB. They were so good in those playoffs that they scored multiple TD's with their kickoff team. Too bad they had to meet the best defense of all time in the SB.

Too bad that Grogan didn't start.

It probably wouldn't have mattered. When the Pats played the Bears during the season the offense crossed midfield once, on a 75 yard TD run by Craig James.
Thanks but it was a reception from Eason.

It's been a Quarterback Driven league forever. Only when Grogan took over did the '85 team become good and cohesive in all phases, as did the '01 team under Brady.

We won the AFC by having something like a 15/4 positive turnover ratio in the three playoff games.

Naming Grogan the starter after coming home from Miami would have accomplished several advantages for the Patriots, including instilling doubt and apprehension in the ****y, immature Bears. Conversely, the Patriots could have prepared for two weeks knowing they were competing with their top weapons. The chasm in leadership and effectiveness between Eason and Grogan was as large as that between Bledsoe and Brady.

The margin for error to beat Chicago was small, but very real. Grogan would have had to call enough running plays to control the pace, and keep our defense fresh. I'm very confident that at least a couple of those early dropped pick sixes would have been converted, had the team not felt pressure to get a million turnovers to compensate for having a mediocre, inexperienced kid under center. I don't think Dawson gets hurt.

Yes, we would inevitably have needed a break or two in the second half to win. But you have to do the work to give yourselves the opportunity to take advantage of those breaks.

Grogan was the wild card. The biggest advantage the Patriots had. As Flutie was in '88. Berry blew it both times.

Thanks but it was a reception from Eason.

It's been a Quarterback Driven league forever. Only when Grogan took over did the '85 team become good and cohesive in all phases, as did the '01 team under Brady.

We won the AFC by having something like a 15/4 positive turnover ratio in the three playoff games.

Naming Grogan the starter after coming home from Miami would have accomplished several advantages for the Patriots, including instilling doubt and apprehension in the ****y, immature Bears. Conversely, the Patriots could have prepared for two weeks knowing they were competing with their top weapons. The chasm in leadership and effectiveness between Eason and Grogan was as large as that between Bledsoe and Brady.

The margin for error to beat Chicago was small, but very real. Grogan would have had to call enough running plays to control the pace, and keep our defense fresh. I'm very confident that at least a couple of those early dropped pick sixes would have been converted, had the team not felt pressure to get a million turnovers to compensate for having a mediocre, inexperienced kid under center. I don't think Dawson gets hurt.

Yes, we would inevitably have needed a break or two in the second half to win. But you have to do the work to give yourselves the opportunity to take advantage of those breaks.

Grogan was the wild card. The biggest advantage the Patriots had. As Flutie was in '88. Berry blew it both times.

You have a better memory than I do. Was the James pass the only time they reached midfield in their first meeting. I thought that it was.

You have a better memory than I do. Was the James pass the only time they reached midfield in their first meeting. I thought that it was.
I think you got that right.

This was an early season game; the Bears were justly favored but hadn't picked up steam yet on their march of dominance; that pretty much was when McMahon led the comeback over the Vikings.

Eason was really pedestrian until he hurt his shoulder, and Grogan led them to six thrilling and legit wins in a row.

Cancell probably...it wouldn't have mattered
I understand this opinion. The Bears' confidence and momentum along with strong line play on both sides was overwhelming down the stretch and in the playoffs. The media superlatives continue to pile on to this day. They were good.

I disagree with you; they were beatable. As it turns out, not by a Raymond Berry coached team.

The Belichick approach would have been to first give your team its best chance to win (Grogan) and executing what the Patriots were good at: running the ball, effective special teams, and a consistent, opportunistic defense.

Everyone would likewise be laughing today at the thought of unlikely upsets, for example had Herb Brooks not been hired to coach the 1980 Olympic team, or had Belichick been stupid enough to start Bledsoe against the Rams.

I understand this opinion. The Bears' confidence and momentum along with strong line play on both sides was overwhelming down the stretch and in the playoffs. The media superlatives continue to pile on to this day. They were good.

I disagree with you; they were beatable. As it turns out, not by a Raymond Berry coached team.

The Belichick approach would have been to first give your team its best chance to win (Grogan) and executing what the Patriots were good at: running the ball, effective special teams, and a consistent, opportunistic defense.

Everyone would likewise be laughing today at the thought of unlikely upsets, for example had Herb Brooks not been hired to coach the 1980 Olympic team, or had Belichick been stupid enough to start Bledsoe against the Rams.
Sorry my friend but 1985 Bears were unbeatible...we were awesome to win 3 road playoffs games...it was a great run...
But Chicago Bears 1985 was imho probably the best ever Super Bowl team...

Sorry my friend but 1985 Bears were unbeatible...we were awesome to win 3 road playoffs games...it was a great run...
A case can be made for them. They had a defense for the ages and the 2nd ranked team that year in points scored. Ironically, their only loss was to the Dolphins*, who went 17-0 in 1972 after being caught cheating.

'89 49ers...'00 Ravens...

...oh have you seen my '83 Houston Cougars NCAA Champions T-shirt?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes