PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT Panthers fire HC

Steve102

Any Man Who Must Say I Am The King Is No True King
PatsFans.com Supporter
2023 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
What a train wreck. I figured Tepper wasn't going to wait till the end of the season but I assumed he'd get canned at the bye. He kind of got a raw deal with some of the QB reclamation projects he has had but he ended up looking like he was in over his head.

I presume that Rhule had some input as to what QB they were going with. He famously pulled out of the Jets job for not having enough input in his assistant coaches and personnel.

Indy, Carolina, and Denver were the teams I have been dumbfounded with for not getting a QB high in the draft for about five years. And now all three are basket cases.

He'll be back in the college game I bet, unless he's just absolutely against the new NIL world of college football

I presume that Rhule had some input as to what QB they were going with. He famously pulled out of the Jets job for not having enough input in his assistant coaches and personnel.

Indy, Carolina, and Denver were the teams I have been dumbfounded with for not getting a QB high in the draft for about five years. And now all three are basket cases.
2020 Carolina could have moved up without going broke and grabbed Tua or Herbert and he would probably still have a job. Even in 2021 they could have drafted Mac or Fields and at least gave himself a little runway to develop a young guy for year or two.

What a horrible hire. I can't remember the details, but he was paid a lot of money.

Panthers fire head coach Matt Rhule after 1-4 start to season

Cam then Darnold then Mayfield. Not a lot of improvement. I am not a Carolina guy, but seems like personnel is the problem there. Still, 11-27 ain't gonna fly. Maybe they should launch the GM/personnel guy.

As if 11-27 isn't bad enough, Rhule went 3-16 since last October. Doesn't take a rocket surgeon to see that trend. He needed to at least show a hint of hitting some gains with Mayfield under center but it's been more of the same.

You'd figure a team with a decent defense (which I think they've had over his tenure, ain't looking at the numbers) would win a fair bit more than that by just pounding the rock all day (especially with their backs).

2020 Carolina could have moved up without going broke and grabbed Tua or Herbert and he would probably still have a job. Even in 2021 they could have drafted Mac or Fields and at least gave himself a little runway to develop a young guy for year or two.
Every QB in the league except for Kyler Murray, Burrow, Lawrence and Zach Wilson could have been obtainable in the past five years for a standard trade up for a team with good draft capital (IE, the two firsts plus packages that landed Lance and Mahomes). In that time Brady signed as a free agent, Russell Wilson and Watson were traded, and you could've made an offer for Rodgers that Green Bay couldn't refuse. The top three picks of the near past flamed out (Mayfield, Darnold, Trubisky)

The current best QBs in the league were all obtainable for any team. Mahomes, Allen, Jackson, Herbert on down. Herbert was the highest draft pick of that group at #6.

As if 11-27 isn't bad enough, Rhule went 3-16 since last October. Doesn't take a rocket surgeon to see that trend. He needed to at least show a hint of hitting some gains with Mayfield under center but it's been more of the same.
Yeah a good comparison is NYG. Daboll kinda took over the same roster that Judge left him and they're playing their ass off for him.

This is one of the earliest in the season firings I can remember in a while.
Yet there were rumors during the week that the team was already considering this move. It's been a long time coming.

What a horrible hire. I can't remember the details, but he was paid a lot of money.
$62M for seven seasons. Reports say his buyout will cost the team $40M.

GEE, WHO COULD HAVE PREDICTED A COLLEGE HEAD COACH WOULD FAIL IN THE NFL?

Me. I could have. They come in with their 'systems' or whatever in the hell and try to treat grown men like college kids. They don't get to schedule cupcakes.

GEE, WHO COULD HAVE PREDICTED A COLLEGE HEAD COACH WOULD FAIL IN THE NFL?

Me. I could have. They come in with their 'systems' or whatever in the hell and try to treat grown men like college kids. They don't get to schedule cupcakes.
For every Jimmy Johnson, Tom Coughlin or Pete Carroll there seems to be a dozen total disasters when it comes to college coaches coming to the NFL. Urban Meyer, Bobby Petrino, Steve Spurrier, Dennis Erickson, Butch Davis, Greg Schiano, Lane Kiffin, and Lou Holtz all flat out disasters and even the ones that aren't total disasters are all that great either. Saban, Kingsbury, and Chip Kelly all have had limited "success" but still are pretty underwhelming.

The Panthers had the 8th pick in the 2021 Draft and drafted CB JC Horn who got hurt in his rookie season. They definitely could have had Jones or Fields. But they chose to continue with Darnold instead - unless they already had a deal in place with Cleveland. (Mayfield didn't become a Panther until July, 2022)

I've lived in NC for quite a few years and have been unable to grow fond of the Panthers. Even when they were a good team shortly after Cam was drafted #1, his Showboating Superman BS turned me off. When the Pat's signed him, I kinda freaked out. . .

But I've been a diehard Patriots fan for so long, I'll never be able support any other NFL team no matter who's playing on it or where they're located.

Pete was a previous NFL Head Coach (Jets and well, us, obviously). Coughlin was a previous NFL assistant coach before Army. Bill Walsh also had NFL coaching experience before going to Stanford. Johnson's about the only one who went direct from college with no NFL pitstops.

Carolina (any NFL team) should fire the GM who doesn't understand football games are won at the line of scrimmage.

Even good/great QB's like Burrow, Stafford or Kyler Murray look bad with a terrible offensive line in front of them... do we need more proof?

Put an average QB like Goff (2nd in points) or Brissett in Cleveland (5th) behind a great offensive line and they can create offense.

Put an average QB like Mayfield or Darnold behind a terrible offensive line and this is what you get.

Panthers have the 5th highest sack percentage in the league, they rank 27th in rushing yards... football is won in the trenches.

The can afford to improve at QB... they are desperate to improve at OL.

It’s really a disaster over there. They traded away future picks (with the Patriots as the greatest beneficiary) and restructured basically all of their contracts so that they’re currently 30th in projected 2023 cap room, all to not compete this season. It will be an interesting few weeks between now and the trade deadline, because the buyers will love how all those restructured contracts have negligible cap hits this season. McCaffrey, for example, would cost $750k for the remainder of the season.

Who do you think the Panthers should go afterb

My bet is on one of Sean Payton, Bill Cowher, Jimmie Johnson, Mike Ditka or Marv Levy.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Back