OT: Owners upset Chargers moving???

Status
Not open for further replies.

convertedpatsfan

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
NFL is reportedly upset with Chargers, wants them to move back to San Diego

Original source comes from ESPN so take it with a pound of salt.

According to ESPN.com, pretty much everyone in the NFL hates the idea of the Chargers in L.A. One source told ESPN that many of the league's 32 owners are "upset with the Chargers for moving."

It's not just the owners, either. The league office is "beside itself" over the Chargers' move.

In what might be the most surprising part of the report, the NFL actually wants the Chargers to move back to San Diego, although the league doesn't actually think that's a realistic possibility.

The NFL is bipolar or something. Yes, we give you permission to move to LA, but WAIT! WHY ARE YOU MOVING TO LA? WE DON'T WANT THAT!

Looks like Spanos got screwed by the league in it's little power play.

And now 3 franchises will move within a year.

Goodell is absolutely ****ing useless. You could replace him with a fake plant and the league would be run better.

I do get the feeling they'll move back and bring back the old logo 5-10 years down the road.

I'm so confused.

8384.jpg.png

My assumption was 24 other owners were OK and even supportive of the move. I had also assumed Spanos did the necessary politicking with the league and the other owners so there was plenty of support from "The 32"- even Kroneke.

This article paints the exact opposite picture.

My assumption was 24 other owners were OK and even supportive of the move. I had also assumed Spanos did the necessary politicking with the league and the other owners so there was plenty of support from "The 32"- even Kroneke.

This article paints the exact opposite picture.

That was my understanding as well. And the original source is from ESPN, so who knows? They also ran a piece a bit ago about how the Chargers were being forced to move to LA because that's what the league wanted. So who knows?

One theory I've read is that they wanted to block the Raiders from moving to LA, so they let the Rams move, and gave the Chargers the option instead of the Raiders.

That was my understanding as well. And the original source is from ESPN, so who knows? They also ran a piece a bit ago about how the Chargers were being forced to move to LA because that's what the league wanted. So who knows?

One theory I've read is that they wanted to block the Raiders from moving to LA, so they let the Rams move, and gave the Chargers the option instead of the Raiders.
What a cluster___ck

Which is weird, because while I think the Raiders should stay in Oakland, they made more sense for LA than the Rams did. While they haven't been perennial winners in a long while, they at least had some sort of personality...other than that of a total loser like the Rams. Their merch would have sold better too because it's easier to be "stylish" with black than with the Rams high-school esque blue and gold. And style is important in LA (see Brooklyn Nets for an example).

Anyway...everyone knows Spanos will crawl back to San Diego with his tail between his legs...and also, still no stadium deal.

Which is weird, because while I think the Raiders should stay in Oakland, they made more sense for LA than the Rams did. While they haven't been perennial winners in a long while, they at least had some sort of personality...other than that of a total loser like the Rams. Their merch would have sold better too because it's easier to be "stylish" with black than with the Rams high-school esque blue and gold. And style is important in LA (see Brooklyn Nets for an example).

Anyway...everyone knows Spanos will crawl back to San Diego with his tail between his legs...and also, still no stadium deal.

At this point they might want him to sell the team.

Based on what I have read Spanos is a "poor" owner who does not have the financial flexibility or business acumen to take the franchise to the next level

Who really cares? It's FESPN. They are as valuable to sports as Goodell is to the NFL.

Hahahahahah!

Somehow Goddell and the owners have found a way to ruin the NFL--a can't miss cornerstone of American popular culture. It is incomprehensible.

Let me count the ways:
- blatant front office favoritis, lies and incompetence
- arbitrary and inconsistent enforcement of policy: DV, filming, tampering, cap, equipment, bounties, deflation
- changing game play to favor the offensive passing game (as a favor to Irsay and to rebuke the Pats for man handling the 2001 Rams), not realizing that they ruin Parity by devaluing the running game and making teams QB dependent
- Thursday Night Football, which everyone hates, the epitome of greed
- botched cover ups and media leaks, which erode public confidence and corrupt the media
- manipulative owners, who wield more power than their egos can handle
- teams jumping haphazardly between cities, alienating massive fan bases
- cover ups, denials and failure to address the effect of Concussions on their players over a period of decades

It's a story of greed, jealousy, corruption, cronyism and power. Someone should turn it into a screenplay. Call it "Killing the Golden Goose"

Hahahahahah!

Somehow Goddell and the owners have found a way to ruin the NFL--a can't miss cornerstone of American popular culture. It is incomprehensible.

Let me count the ways:
- arbitrary and inconsistent enforcement of policy: DV, filming, tampering, cap, equipment, bounties, deflation
- changing game play to favor the offensive passing game (as a favor to Irsay and to rebuke the Pats for man handling the 2001 Rams), not realizing that they ruin Parity by devaluing the running game and making teams QB dependent
- botched cover ups and media leaks, which erode public confidence and corrupt the media
- cover ups, denials and failure to address the effect of Concussions on their players over a period of decades

It's a story of greed, jealousy, corruption, cronyism and power. Someone should turn it into a screenplay. Call it "Killing the Golden Goose"

Good play rook. ;)

Even if the NYFL tries to turn things around I'm still gone once Brady is done. Handicapping the games was the final straw for me.

...So why did they approve the move then?

Not sure they did. All the reports said was that the Chargers filed relocation papers. I think they still require approval at the upcoming league annual meeting. Not sure what grounds the owners could have to reject it presuming the Chargers filed the paperwork correctly, given that the NFL insisted the Rams gave the Chargers the right to move a year ago. There is a procedure that was put in place due to Al Davis suing the NFL and winning. I just can't be arsed to look it up and read through it all.

This could be yet another screw up by the Goodell regime.

Let me count the ways:

And we fans give too much credit/accountability to Goodell in this. He's just a hired gun (as are many corporate CEO's). The owners' greed and stupidity set the stage for their hiring of him, and it is their greed that he is accountable to. We get caught up in his actions as the front man, because he is visible, but he's got very little real power and no imagination.

And we fans give too much credit/accountability to Goodell in this. He's just a hired gun (as are many corporate CEO's). The owners' greed and stupidity set the stage for their hiring of him, and it is their greed that he is accountable to. We get caught up in his actions as the front man, because he is visible, but he's got very little real power and no imagination.

I agree. Besides, what's the down side to the greedy owners on this Chargers deal?

They're gonna get the $650M relocation fee from the Chargers, and they're not going to have to put out a dime to get it. The Chargers will be able to fund that by selling luxury boxes and PSLs and signage rights. Presuming there's enough interest to do that in a city as big as LA, it's all a done deal. It is said the value of the Chargers should double just by making this move. If that happens, the average value of all NFL franchises will rise since SD is now near the bottom in terms of valuation. A rising tide lifts all boats.

The NFL is very good at not making the obvious point: the only way the Chargers were going to stay in SD is if the NFL itself kicked in the money for the stadium, or at least guaranteed the loan. The public assistance offered was insufficient and Spanos doesn't have Kronke's money so he wasn't going to fund it himself. The NFL's main goal is to continue to get public funding for stadiums whenever possible, and if the NFL supported one in SD, they'd never get another publicly funded stadium. So, the Chargers were done in SD.

From what I've read, Spanos is an idiot. He got fixated on having a downtown SD stadium. There were options to re-develop the area around the existing stadium that the city was willing to work on, but he shot them down. In essence he could have had a Patriots Place type of development project up and running right now, but he wanted the downtown convention center deal so much he shot it down.

The main way this fails is that the Chargers do not generate enough interest in LA to sell out its corporate boxes and PSLs. The Chargers and the NFL are betting this won't happen, and presumably they've done enough market research to be confident it won't.

The truth is that a lot of these owners can no longer afford their teams...think of it as a billionaire's version of being "House poor."

Successful owners are either very wealthy or have highly successful franchises that continuously generate cash and wealth (examples of the latter are Jerruh and Bob).

The Spanos family is just not rich enough to maintain an NFL Franchise into the 21st century. The Wilsons allowed the Bills to deteriorate over the years and it's anybody's guess whether they will really keep it in Northern New York.

The Salary Cap and the Revenue Sharing Arrangement is designed to keep owners like the Spanos' and Wilsons on life support. Sooner or later, other owners will get tired of subsidizing them and, while they won't want to lose the "32 markets," they will want owners with deeper pockets to own the teams in some of those markets.

I think we're going to see more owners like Paul Allen and Shahid Khan, with old line owners getting nudged out of the club. In other words, I don't think a guy who was at Bob Kraft's level of wealth when he bought the Patriots would be able to buy a Franchise today.

There are 540 billionaires in the US. Over half of them are worth over $5 billion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back