PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Official 2020 Tompa Bay Gronkaneers Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope for a Saints win and am ready to see "Florida boys" Brady and Gronk ride off into the sunset. These two have no love lost for the Patriots/New England and don't deserve our loyalty. While I always will cherish memories of what they did here, that chapter closed in 2020.
What, exactly, are you basing the bold part on?

You guys, what's up with all the Brees fandom? I thought you only root for the Patriots and everyone else is the enemy? Seriously your Super Duper Pats fan card might get revoked......or can you all finally admit you just want Brady to fail.

He's easy to root for, unlike Rodgers. Another SB would enhance his legacy (top 5 IMO). However, Brady already has 6 and is greedy at this point I feel.

I hope for a Saints win and am ready to see "Florida boys" Brady and Gronk ride off into the sunset. These two have no love lost for the Patriots/New England and don't deserve our loyalty. While I always will cherish memories of what they did here, that chapter closed in 2020.

BB pushed Gronk into retirement and simply didn't value Brady. If BB didn't want to lose them, maybe he shouldn't have ****ed around with them. Brees is still in NO because NO made it a priority. If Bill honestly thought he could jerk Brady around and pay him crap year-to-year deals and Brady would just kneel at his feet... BB is the reason Brady left. Why shouldn't Tom go to an organization who's actions clearly indicate he's their #1 priority, believe in him (unlike just turn into a run team and not even attempt 2 minute drives....), and listen to his input.

I'm of course pissed that Brady and Gronk are playing for another team, but 100% of my anger is to Bill and Kraft. It's their fault.

another SB would put him there...

If you’re a prisoner of the moment, sure.

Rodgers is about to win his 3rd MVP; Manning had 5. There’s no legitimate argument that Brees is a top 3 QB since 2000. Getting dragged to a SB win despite throwing the shortest, easiest passes as evidenced by both advanced stats and the obvious eye test, doesn’t move him past anyone. The Saints have been loaded for the last four years; multiple titles were definitely possible, and would be expected for a top 5 all time QB.

So if he is the 4th best QB since 2000, that would mean only one other QB before 2000 could rank above him. Montana, Graham, and Unitas are clear and obvious. Then there’s about a dozen QBs where there’s a strong argument. The all-decade teams and NFL100 teams omitted him, as they should. He’s a darn good quarterback, but he should be measured against his peers and these big stats shouldn’t be judged without context of modern passing expectations.

Boston fandom is a strange one.
Oh, okay. I agree with that. I thought the bold part had some basis in reality and maybe I missed something. But if it’s just more salt from one of the saltiest, most insecure fan bases in the United States, then that’s cool too. This thread will be a fun one to come back to in 5, 6, 7 years when BB is the one to induct Brady into the Hall of Fame.

Rodgers is about to win his 3rd MVP; Manning had 5. There’s no legitimate argument that Brees is a top 3 QB since 2000. Getting dragged to a SB win despite throwing the shortest, easiest passes as evidenced by both advanced stats and the obvious eye test, doesn’t move him past anyone. The Saints have been loaded for the last four years; multiple titles were definitely possible, and would be expected for a top 5 all time QB.

So if he is the 4th best QB since 2000, that would mean only one other QB before 2000 could rank above him. Montana, Graham, and Unitas are clear and obvious. Then there’s about a dozen QBs where there’s a strong argument. The all-decade teams and NFL100 teams omitted him, as they should. He’s a darn good quarterback, but he should be measured against his peers and these big stats shouldn’t be judged without context of modern passing expectations.

This is complete nonsense. I have no idea why Bradyites like to pi$$ on other QBs - you do it to Manning, Rodgers, Brees, you name it. First of all, Brady and Brees both have roughly the same Yards/Att. Secondly, Brees threw for 8TDs and 0 INTs en route to their super bowl in 2009, so he wasn't dragged to a title. :rolleyes: A 2nd super bowl would make him a strong case for top 5 all time along with Brady, Manning, Montana, and Unitas due to multiple super bowls and his stats.

Last edited:
This is complete nonsense. I have no idea why Bradyites like to pi$$ on other QBs - you do it to Manning, Rodgers, Brees, you name it. First of all, Brady and Brees both have roughly the same Yards/Att. Secondly, Brees threw for 8TDs and 0 INTs en route to their super bowl in 2009, so he wasn't dragged to a title. :rolleyes: A 2nd super bowl would make him a strong case for top 5 all time along with Brady, Manning, Montana, Unitas.

Saying someone is a darn good QB while pointing out there are many darn good QBs in history is hardly to “pi$$ on other QBs.”

I didn’t say Brees was dragged to a title; in fact I’ve stated numerous times previously that he was robbed of the MVP in 2009 and it was one of the overall best seasons by a QB. I said he would be dragged this year if he wins it, which isn’t to say he isn’t worthy of any credit but not enough credit to move ahead of other QBs.

The reason Brees doesn’t have a strong case is because his strong points are stats-based and aren’t outliers from peers. In 5-10 years, he’ll be leapfrogged by a lot of QBs. When it comes to measurable peer-relative accomplishments that stand the test of time, there’s very little that stands out. He’s a turbo version of a bunch of players like Roethlisberger, Rivers, Ryan, etc. but he isn’t a dominant outlier like Brady, Manning, or Rodgers. With another championship, it’s possible he’d move ahead of Rodgers by consensus, but I doubt it would last. The overhype always dies down after a year or two.

the fact that you are assuming that if Brees wins this year that he would have been “dragged” to a title suggests a bit of a bias on your part. he’s only played one game so far and has thrown for 280 yards, 2 TDs, and 0 Ints, which is pretty good.

Last edited:
Still very confident Bucs are going all the way to the SB and winning it. They are not the same team that got drilled by the Saints. They’re a scary team and on a roll.

Then the chirping about Bill will begin. And end when Bill gets his 7th ring of his own as HC in 2-3 years. :)

you’re the definition of a fool. We’re they supposed to retire cause BB forced them out use your head here man

Still very confident Bucs are going all the way to the SB and winning it. They are not the same team that got drilled by the Saints. They’re a scary team and on a roll.

Then the chirping about Bill will begin. And end when Bill gets his 7th ring of his own as HC in 2-3 years. :)

Well, I’ll say this: if they can beat the Saints, I’ll probably feel the same way. That’s their worst matchup, and I definitely don’t think the Packers or Rams would beat them at that point. They’re not the same team, but the Saints are tough out even if the Bucs bring their new and improved offense and don’t get psyched out.

• Agree
Reactions: sb1
He's easy to root for, unlike Rodgers. Another SB would enhance his legacy (top 5 IMO). However, Brady already has 6 and is greedy at this point I feel.

I usually don’t respond to you however how the hell is he greedy for wanting more rings I thought we play to win the game

Take a moment to think about the fact that Toilet Bowles is still employed by this team and that should bring you back down to reality.

I usually don’t respond to you however how the hell is he greedy for wanting more rings I thought we play to win the game

“Greedy”

Unbelievable description of an all-time great athlete who, by the way, has been clear for years and years and years that he has no interest in retiring due to accomplishments but only when he can no longer physically do it.

But he’s also stanning for Brees, who is the epitome of all that’s good, despite Brees pulling a dramatic Favre-esque retirement act three years running.

The “he should have retired in 2018!” point is so embarrassing to make, considering the reason for its origin (sharp and irreversible declining play due to age) is now objectively debunked.

It’s more fun to watch Brady when you just take him literally when he explains why he wants to keep playing. He’s doing to challenge himself and because he loves playing, and he’a doing it because his longevity, to him, is a major part of his legacy. He has never once wavered from that stance. This was never about sticking it to Patriots fans or the Patriots, though I’m sure that (Patriots moving on like that) drives him now, much like anything outside the Bucs orbit drives him.

Last edited:
With his success and his age, I would devote more time to family. I can understand a guy trying to get a 2nd or even a 3rd ring in his early 40s like Favre or Brees and perhaps Rodgers in a few years, but I would have retired as a Patriot. If it were me, being a member of only one franchise would mean more to me than a 7th ring.
He wants to win one away from BB. That’s more than enough motivation for anyone in his position.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes