PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: NFL and NBA allegiances

Exciting time to be a Newcastle fan though, for once.

I expect ManCity like spending, most likely even more, the next few years. Who do you think is going to be the next manager?

I expect ManCity like spending, most likely even more, the next few years. Who do you think is going to be the next manager?
Hope so! Erm probably the bookmaker's favourite Paulo Fonseca who managed Roma most recently, don't know a lot about him though......

another sheikh club, what a disgrace
thats partly why (european) football became unwatchable, you have some people-slaughtering sheiks owning clubs for their hobby without FIFA or UEFA having any intention to regulate the ****show it became with Manchester ****y, Chelsky, ****ing PSG and soon to become ****castle...with them buying anyone who can run straight without tripping, for x-times more money than most other clubs in europe have yearly budget, screw them all

Hi from the UK guys, my first thread here. I first visited Boston back in 2010 and saw a Celtics game and then also adopted the Patriots as my NFL team as I loved the passion for sport in the city (very similar to the North East of England where I'm from actually). Came back to Boston in 2014 and caught a game at Gilette (51-23 against the Bears).

My question is, are are we all Patriots and Celtics fans or do we have different allegiances for different sports? Where I'm from you usually just support your local team but I have mates over here with warped loyalties (I have one mate who's a Patriots and a Lakers fan :oops:). Similarly I have mates over here who are football (soccer) fans who have never been London and support teams like Arsenal or Chelsea.

Just wondered what the attitude is in the US to supporting teams on opposite sides of the country. Also, sorry if this is the wrong place to post something like this.
The overwhelming majority of people who were born and raised in the Boston area support all four teams. The Celtics bruins, pats and Red Sox.

another sheikh club, what a disgrace
thats partly why (european) football became unwatchable, you have some people-slaughtering sheiks owning clubs for their hobby without FIFA or UEFA having any intention to regulate the ****show it became with Manchester ****y, Chelsky, ****ing PSG and soon to become ****castle...with them buying anyone who can run straight without tripping, for x-times more money than most other clubs in europe have yearly budget, screw them all
Hey you definitely have a point, and there's also political issues with what's going on. Personally it's nice as a Newcastle fan to finally have a bit of hope for the future, but I agree it's not fair. There is something called Financial Fair Play these days which is meant to level the playing field, but the big teams seem to still do what they like.

There are a lot of carpetbaggers on this forum that just magically "picked" the Pats as their team because they have been a winning team over the last 25+ and/or they liked the 2007 Pats in Madden, even though they have their "own" home team. this doesn't apply to international fans of course because they don't have their "own" team...
yeah, I get it some people move around, etc, but gimme a break. If you're in CO, Denver is your team. If you're in LA you've got plenty of teams with a history in the city NOT to be a bandwagon fan and have the Pats as "your" team.
On the other hand, many Canadian Pats fans started because they were blacking out Bills games locally so we got the Patriots instead. They were not a winning team when I started watching in 1973.

My other teams are Raptors, Maple Leafs, Blue Jays and the Kansas Jayhawks.

Started out as a Russell era Celtics fan but no longer follow the NBA. Cannot name a single player.
Started out as a Ted Williams fan but abandoned baseball a half century ago. Snore ZZZZzzzz. Can't name a single player.
Never followed hockey because I can't skate and icing, etc. is like like cricket to me. Like Bobby Orr though. Can't name a single player.
Followed Patriots from Day One as a HS kid
Now also root for the Bucs with TFB, because Brady and also cause spend winter an hour south of Tamper

Last edited:
Hey you definitely have a point, and there's also political issues with what's going on. Personally it's nice as a Newcastle fan to finally have a bit of hope for the future, but I agree it's not fair. There is something called Financial Fair Play these days which is meant to level the playing field, but the big teams seem to still do what they like.
Yep the FFP is just a alibi policy, they don't even go after those big sponsors, I mean the PSG owner and his family bought the World Cup for Qatar (wtf a WC in a desert country that barely was known 50 years ago before oil and has 0.0 correlation with football??? and they play it in winter because desert is hot in summer, you don't say...) and a few FIFA guys got some nice money in their pocket for their votes. You don't go after the hand that is feeding you, Its just rigged and that takes out every joy you can have as a fan.

Look, back in the days you have had still great clubs that were winning it all but even the CL litareally anyone could have won back than, you have had Nottingham Forest winning the CL 2 times (called different but same cup), Aston Villa, HSV, Steaua Bucarest, Red Star Belgrad, Porto, PSV, Ajax dominated it for some years at their peek and so on, nowdays you have like 5-6 teams and beside Bayern Munich, Barcelona and Real all other like PSG, City, Chelsea are owned by some sheikh etc that is pumping endless money into the team and buying everyone that is out there.

Thats why I actually love NFL, because by its own it is regulated that you can't buy yourself a dream team and own the league for years/decades (ok BB and TB were an outlier) but you get my point. The teams success doesn't correlate to how rich the owner is (all of them are rich anyway) but in (european) football its not designed that way and therefore you can buy yourself success and that is taking the joy out for me, especially with those lovely oil sheikhs.

But back to the topic, fan of the Pats since I first watched them in 2001.
Followed the Sabres in the early 2000 when Vanek was drafted by them (as I am from Austria) but in general do not have any specific favorit team in the other major sports in the US.

I am...in order:

Patriots
Celtics

Bruins
Red Sox

Because I am from Massachusetts and my whole family rooted for those 4 teams all of my life. I was a bigger Sox fan growing up...but the baseball strike in the 90's soured me on baseball...and the McGwire/Sosa HR derby brought me back to baseball a little bit...but I just can't watch 162 games a year. I just watch a few games then catch the Sox in October. Hockey, never was a big fan growing up...but I enjoy watching playoff hockey. The Patriots...I spend nearly all of my waking hours on the team...and the Celts...I watch maybe 25-30 nationally televised games a year plus the playoffs...throughout my life I was more of a Celtics fan....mostly because they were good when I was growing up...then in the 90's I remained a big NBA fan...but transitioned more to the NFL/Patriots after Parcells/Bledsoe came on board....

I'm a Blazers fan on NBA side (admittedly I only watch a game or two a year), as its my home state team and a Pats fan on NFL (shocker lol, I usually only miss a game a year and I watch it as soon as I can)

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back