PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: More Pit Bulls attacking things

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: OT- More Pit Bulls attacking things

Did I say a word about banning any dogs? My post was about where the public perception comes from. I understand this is an issue near to your heart, but please don't make me your straw man.

Of COURSE pits represent a tiny proportion of maulings; they're a tiny proportion of dogs. And my post repeatedly made clear that I don't assume pits are any more likely to attack than other dogs. The point I was trying to make was that a perfectly fine dog breed can still be reasonably perceived as "dangerous."

Think of it this way: you go outside and jog down the sidewalk. How worried are you that you're going to fall off that sidewalk? Not a bit, I imagine. It's plenty wide enough to run on. OK, now put that same sidewalk 1000 feet up in the air. Would you still feel just fine taking a jog? The chances of falling may be the same, it's the consequences of the accident that changed.

Yes, a pomeranian can kill. Just like you could trip while jogging on the ground, fall into the street and get run over by a car. But rather than showing me lists of fatalities committed by other breeds, how about showing me this: stats on the number of serious/fatal injuries caused by each breed as a percentage of total attacks by that breed. E.g., if one of those pomeranians you cite goes after a human how is that human likely fare vs a comparable encounter with a rottweiler.

Again, I'm not advocating rounding up anybody's beloved pets. I'm just trying to explain where I think the public sentiment against these dogs comes from (in part; unscrupulous breeders and fighters being the other element.)

Absolutely. I'm sure they are wonderful pets. But when they do attack, they create alot of damage.

This graph says it all:
http://www.swivel.com/graphs/compare/20898147

as do these statistics

Last edited:
Re: OT- More Pit Bulls attacking things

I'm amazed we've gotten to page two and no one has asked for mass murder of pitbulls. I'm glad to see it because I love pitbulls. It's all about how you train dogs. My mom always had golden retrievers and funny thing is, the scariest dog I have ever encountered was a golden retriever. I was a baby and the dog basically ripped my face off when I tripped over him. He was always a mean dog but just became more senile. So does this make retriever's bad? No. Some dogs were either not raised right, or are screwey in the head.

I've been to Pitbull kennels where not one dog even barked at me. So honestly, it's all about how you raise the dog. Or some dogs just have mean streaks.

Golden retrievers bite more people than any other dog. They are responsible for the majority of unprovoked attacks on children as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/8: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 5/7: News and Notes
What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Back