PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Michael Irvin accused of Rape

Not sure if you're being sarcastic or not, but it's actually less than I expected. I thought it would have been somewhere between $30-$40M.
Athletes as recently as the late 90's weren't breaking the bank the way they do now. Jordan, regarded as the GOAT in bball, amassed most of his fortune off the court. LeBron was worth about 90mil before stepping foot onto the NBA court because of Nike. To my recollection, Irvin wasn't doing tons of endorsements even when the Cowgirls were winning the SB's. Aikman, E. Smith and Deion (later on) were the main attractions. It may have had something to do with the drug and prostitution allegations. Also, he generally never seemed to garner the same level of praise as some of the greats - past, present (during his time) or future - and I think that may have also hurt him in terms of marketing.

Last edited:
If that's not rich, I'd love to be not rich.
A genuine Net Worth of $15 million is definitely "rich" by any reasonable definition. But, it's not "filthy rich." People who are worth around that much usually have their Net Worth tied up in two or three homes (for which they paid a reasonable, market price) and some long term annuities or the like, if they are smart. The liquid assets that they can turn to cash in less than six months or a year without tax or other penalties are usually not all that great...almost certainly well under $1 million, once again, if they are smart and have had good advice.

I've known some wealthy people. I think most of them would tell us that "filthy rich" (whatever that really means) begins at around $100 million of liquid assets, for a wide range of reasons. I once knew a (very) rich guy well enough to ask him when he had first felt he was "really rich" and he said that he felt that way when his liquid net worth went above $500 million. I asked him "Why 500?" His answer, "Because then I could afford my own Gulfstream and it would still cost me less than 10% of what I could spend." He didn't buy it, but said that he liked the idea that he could...that's "filthy rich."

We don't know anything yet. And the guy hasn't had character issues for years. I'm not gonna crucify a guy for getting accused of something until we know more.

Exactly. Given that news sources are focused almost exclusively on being first rather than being right, we need to hold our horses here and see what unfolds. How people are still jumping the gun based on preliminary reports is beyond me, but I suppose that's why news organizations feel no pressure to change.

A genuine Net Worth of $15 million is definitely "rich" by any reasonable definition. But, it's not "filthy rich." People who are worth around that much usually have their Net Worth tied up in two or three homes (for which they paid a reasonable, market price) and some long term annuities or the like, if they are smart. The liquid assets that they can turn to cash in less than six months or a year without tax or other penalties are usually not all that great...almost certainly well under $1 million, once again, if they are smart and have had good advice.

I've known some wealthy people. I think most of them would tell us that "filthy rich" (whatever that really means) begins at around $100 million of liquid assets, for a wide range of reasons. I once knew a (very) rich guy well enough to ask him when he had first felt he was "really rich" and he said that he felt that way when his liquid net worth went above $500 million. I asked him "Why 500?" His answer, "Because then I could afford my own Gulfstream and it would still cost me less than 10% of what I could spend." He didn't buy it, but said that he liked the idea that he could...that's "filthy rich."

Thank you for explaining this; big BIG distinction between net worth and liquid assets.

Thank you for providing detail that I was too lazy to provide.

I see we're more willing to take Irvin's side here. Interesting.
We should all take the approach of "Innocent until proven guilty", shouldn't we?

Isn't that what our system is all about? There are no "sides" in this. But that's a problem in our society today....people actually believe there are "sides" to take

You said this better than I could have and Finance was my major. Good thing I switched to photography now. Lol

$15m in wealth rich
"Filthy" rich

Distinction without a difference

I

In Massachusetts, if you have 2 kids and make $250k, you're just middle class
And at $250k per year it would take you 60 years saving every penny to accumulate 15 million. 15 million is rich to me, even if it isn't to you.

And at $250k per year it would take you 60 years saving every penny to accumulate 15 million. 15 million is rich to me, even if it isn't to you.
This.

Last I heard the cut off of the top 1% of incomes was about 300,000 per year. (Person not family). Let's inflate it to $400,000.
Out of $400,000 you would net maybe $250,000. If you live a dour existence in a modest house and fight hard to save maybe you could get by on 50,000 and save 200,000.
So to accumulate 15,000,000 it would take 75 years.
And yes you would invest and earn on that money while you saved it but this example is a guy making in the top 1% of incomes who is single and spends none of it. Add a family and the spending habits of someone betting 20,000 a month and accumulating 15,000,000 from that paycheck is nearly impossible.

I think everyone considers it wealthy

Rich is not a good word to use, wealthy is the appropriate word

But in Boston, it would be a struggle.
I'm single and in some states people would think I make a LOT.

But in eastern Massachusetts it's considered "decent money".

Among the guys I grew up with that I still socialize with, I make the least by far. I don't consider any of them to be wealthy (except one guy) and all of them are over $300k combined household income. So I gotta find a nice woman with a solid retirement nest egg before it's too late! :D

The one wealthy guy own Baysyate Wine & Spirits which is a liquor distributor out of Avon MA

People should not rush to judgement on this. Irvin's past is shady but we've seen too many false reports of rape/assault/hate crimes lately. The police need time to perform their investigation.

I never rush to any judgement either way with these types of things... Its a fact that there are violent men that rape other women and should be buried underneath the prison... but its also a fact that there are greedy, sociopathic women that target rich men to steal their money.. whether through a settlement from a shocking claim like this, to various other forms of extortion as well

Best to just let it play out and get all the facts

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/8: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 5/7: News and Notes
What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Back