PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Kirwin on the unexpected 0-2 teams

Status
Not open for further replies.

MoLewisrocks

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Really slams the pundits who dismissed Daunte's recent track record as an anomoly and predicted he would vault the 'Phins to contender status. Thinks Saban will get him turned around, but also thinks it will be a time consuming project. Facing equally weak sisters this week and next may jump start the process. But a visit to Gillette before the bye should result in 2 steps forward, 1 step back IMHO.

"DON'T BE SURPRISED AT CULPEPPER'S NUMBERS

When Daunte Culpepper was traded to the Dolphins, lots of people started to think Miami finally found the replacement for Dan Marino. Why? Because he threw the ball up to Randy Moss for a few years and the receiver out-rebounded the double coverage? Look, Culpepper is a fine athlete, but maybe the Vikings knew there was too much work to be done in a short period of time and the second-round pick Miami offered was just too tempting. Culpepper is duplicating his 2005 production and some people who ignored what was on film to study, elected to say they are 'surprised' rather than study the video. If you are going to listen to NFL experts, find out if they are studying his films before they speak!

I believe Nick Saban will get the talented Culpepper straightened out in time to get the season going, but Culpepper is still just doing what he's been doing since Moss left for the Raiders. Check out these numbers if you don't believe Culpepper is still looking for Moss and unable to get the ball out of his hand. In 2005, his production was similar to 2006. Too bad that the perception was he'll deliver more at such an early stage in his development.

In '05, Culpepper averaged 20 completions in 30 attempts. This year after two weeks, he's averaged 20 completions in 34 attempts. Last year, he averaged .08 TD pass per game. This year he's right on schedule at .05 TD per game. Now it gets even more eerie. Last year, he averaged 1.7 interceptions per game. In Miami, 1.5 picks per game. In 2005, he was sacked 4.4 times per game, with Miami he's gone down 5.0 per game. As a Viking, he fumbled just under one time per contest and right now the ball is on the ground one time per game. The next time you hear some so-called expert say he's 'surprised' about the start the Dolphins have had, question if he knows the history of Culpepper.

Oh, by the way, remember Gus Frerotte? He was the Dolphins QB last year and was perceived as not good enough to take the Dolphins to the championship. He was 1-1 after two games in 2005 with an offensive line that might not have been as good as the line Culpepper has right now. He also threw three TD passes to two interceptions. Culpepper is two touchdown passes behind him. Frerotte was sacked just two times, less than the 10 Culpepper has logged, but he did fumble three times to Culpepper's two.

Remember the six-game winning streak the Dolphins finished with last year? Frerotte was the QB the whole time and he connected on eight touchdown passes to just three interceptions during that stretch. The problem was the perception that Frerotte wasn't good enough. Someone once said Brad Johnson was done and he looks pretty good in Vikings uniform right now. A few years ago, if Gruden didn't take a chance on Rich Gannon, the Raiders would have never gone to the Super Bowl. The message is stop listening to guys who say they are surprised by the Dolphins right now and take a look at the facts that have led up to the situation.

Finally, for second-round compensation, I probably would have traded for Culpepper and be willing to work with the strong-armed QB. But I would not be shocked if it was going to take some time to repair a guy coming to my franchise off a serious injury with an 11-16 record and 84 sacks in his previous 27 games. "

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/9675755

Great. So Pep will finally be coming into his own by the time the Pats go down to Miami in early December. Lovely.

Great find, Mo.

There's one NFL analyst that really knows the game from the inside.

There's one who does his homework and makes logical analyses.

And they're both Pat Kirwan.:D

Last edited:
Kind of a narrow view of history why he is only comparing this season to 2005, is no other season before that relevant??../boggle. People outside of this guy say its a suprise because they are comparing this year all of Culpeppers previous years which is the correct thing to do. To many people write him off as Moss making him better than he was, well he sure didnt help Kerry Collins or Aaron Brooks over the last 2 years.

Dagg said:
Kind of a narrow view of history why he is only comparing this season to 2005, is no other season before that relevant??../boggle. People outside of this guy say its a suprise because they are comparing this year all of Culpeppers previous years which is the correct thing to do.

The point is that it's not normal for a QB to rebound after having as abyssmal year as Culpepper did last year. I pretty much agree with the point of the article which is that expecting an immediate improvement from a guy who is coming off a crap year and new to the system is pretty dumb.

To many people write him off as Moss making him better than he was, well he sure didnt help Kerry Collins or Aaron Brooks over the last 2 years.

Bringing up the Raiders' offense doesn't really help your point, all things considered.

Dagg said:
Kind of a narrow view of history why he is only comparing this season to 2005, is no other season before that relevant??../boggle. People outside of this guy say its a suprise because they are comparing this year all of Culpeppers previous years which is the correct thing to do. To many people write him off as Moss making him better than he was, well he sure didnt help Kerry Collins or Aaron Brooks over the last 2 years.

He's saying you can throw jump balls into double coverage and Moss will catch them.

I think that's true.

What is Saban's record with QBs?

RayClay said:
He's saying you can throw jump balls into double coverage and Moss will catch them.

I think that's true.

Based on the raiders games I have seen this year and last year its defintely not true.

Always like to hear what Kirwin has to say. And to think that he is a Jets fan.

I really like the part about 'so-called experts' who haven't watched film from 2005, or really paid attention to Pepper's history.

I've been trying to tell that to braindead fish fans for a while now, and it seems to have finally sunk in, because they ain't cloggin up our website near as much this week.......... ;)

Anyhow, I actually expected that Pepper would come out of the gate with a vengenance, and that it would take a few games to catch up to his big play style. But he has started with a whimper.

At least Bledsoe inspired the troops up in Buffalo for a while, Miami is just pathetic. Those guys have been soft for way too long. Nothing seems to get them up for a game.

I really like Kirwan, but it's a shame that this article is full of non sequiturs.

Having established that people were wildly optimistic about Culpepper (right) he then goes on to assert (with no evidence) that the "talented" Culpepper will get things right soon. Why does he say so? Is Culpepper a young quarterback on a learning curve? Does he not know the offense?

Kirwan bashes those who don't watch film, but has he really looked at the tape from last Sunday? I can't believe that anyone who watched Culpepper last Sunday would not have seen a quarterback who was clumsy, slow, hesitant and inaccurate. If Kirwan thinks that that is an aberration he should give some evidence.

Last edited:
RayClay said:
Great find, Mo.

There's one NFL analyst that really knows the game from the inside.

There's one who does his homework and makes logical analyses.

And they're both Pat Kirwan.:D

Agree 100%, I don't think there is a better NFL analyst in the print media anywhere.

Box_O_Rocks said:

About the same as his record with RB's

R

njpatsfan said:
About the same as his record with RB's

R
Good DBs and DLs, gotcha.

Dagg said:
Kind of a narrow view of history of Kerry Collins if all you are looking at just the last couple of years. Are his earlier seasons not relevant??../boggle

The point of the article is that in about a half dozen categories Culpepper is almost exactly the same as last year. Coincidence? We think not.

Why would anyone be surprised if Culpepper (or anyone) did the same this year as last year?

Last edited:
Box_O_Rocks said:

Well he had to coach them in college too, but that is another whole universe compared to the NFL. I do know he recommended Rohan highly....

I would guess as a defensive genius he may have less than unbridled appreciation for them, sort of a necessary evil because you need to score to win. He is likely sufficiently impressed by measurables and befuddled by intangibles.

Tell the truth I don't think BB developed real depth of appreciation for the finer intangible points of the position - like field vision and unflapable poise and pocket presence and the ability to read defenses and react in an instant simultaneously making the right decision - he now definitely has either until around 2003. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back