PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Cool Link OT: John Madden named to Madden 23 Cover

Links to cool things

KDPPatsfan85

Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal
Reaction score
EA Sports would've taken a lot of heat if they didn't put him on the cover. I hope they respect him enough to fix the game and make it better than it being another roster update!

As it should be..and I don't think we will see much of a difference in this game. They should let 2K make an NFL Game. NFL 2K5 has always been the best sports game I've played

As it should be..and I don't think we will see much of a difference in this game. They should let 2K make an NFL Game. NFL 2K5 has always been the best sports game I've played
I think the NFL shouldn't give out an exclusive license and let all game developers create an NFL game. Competition will help improve NFL gaming.

Will be very interesting to see how the curse will take shape. Maybe his name comes up in some shady spa investigation, or in the investigation from the Gruden lawsuit.

Or maybe the NFL finally comes down on EA and removes their exclusivity (we can dream, right?)

I think the NFL shouldn't give out an exclusive license and let all game developers create an NFL game. Competition will help improve NFL gaming.
Sadly, EA shells them big bucks for that exclusivity. And big bucks trumps all.

They're pretty long contracts too, with (I'm 99% sure) a ton of years remaining on their current deal.

First off, good on them for doing this, even if they really had no choice.

As for the game itself, I'm not buying another Madden (even on sale) until they improve the product. If there was a game that really leaned into the simulation aspect of these things, rather than a glorified arcade experience, I would LOVE it. There was a game in development for a while called Beyond the Sidelines Football, made by the same guy who started Out of the Park Baseball if I'm not mistaken. Sadly, he had some serious health problems, and may have even passed away recently. It's too bad because it would have been the closest thing to being a pro football GM you could have gotten.

No idea how they were getting around the NFL license issue (if they were at all), but it's a moot point because I think the game is vaporware at this point.

As for the game itself, I'm not buying another Madden (even on sale) until they improve the product. If there was a game that really leaned into the simulation aspect of these things, rather than a glorified arcade experience, I would LOVE it. There was a game in development for a while called Beyond the Sidelines Football, made by the same guy who started Out of the Park Baseball if I'm not mistaken. Sadly, he had some serious health problems, and may have even passed away recently. It's too bad because it would have been the closest thing to being a pro football GM you could have gotten.

No idea how they were getting around the NFL license issue (if they were at all), but it's a moot point because I think the game is vaporware at this point.

I miss Front Page Sports ... NFL 96 or 97 was pretty damn good for simulation (play design, coaching, etc.).

Reactions: Ian
Tecmo Bowl was always fun

Tecmosuperbowl.png

I'd LOVE for the ootp folks to make an NFL game. That'd be amazeballs.

Tecmo Bowl was always fun

Tecmosuperbowl.png
Tecmo Bowl and NFL game day 97 were my two favorites. The early Madden and NHL games also were a ton of fun before realism took over. Still fun but not the same for me.

Madden should've always been on the cover.

Best game for presentation was Madden '97 on Playstation. James Brown did intro's and halftime reports. My all time favorite game.

The early Madden's on Playstation 2 was right up there as well where they had radio shows, postgame show and newspaper reports going over the key plays/players. Then they just took it all away.

Best Madden game on PS3/Xbox 360 was Madden 2008-2010. I haven't played since 2012 as the quality started going downhill. But I sure miss playing people online though as many people cursed me out and rage quit on me. While most players liked to run the ball and shorten games, I'd counter with massive chunk passing plays where guys were WIDE OPEN and score in 1-4 plays. I found a massive flaw in the zone defense nobody could figure out. Fun times.

Video games are not the only industry where the NFL gives exclusive licenses. I sure wish someone would challenge the whole thing in court one of these days....

Isn't he worried about the cover curse?

My thought as well. At his advanced years, a bad season might not go well,
Unless the curse is works posthumously, I don't think he has much to worry about..

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Back