PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: HOF Cortez Kennedy dead at 48

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joey007

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score

Was a great player that endured some bad Seattle teams throughout the 90's. Always liked him.

RIP.

Anyone have a good source for the average life expectancy of an NFL player? I thought I read somewhere that it's 53 and I didn't believe it at the time but I'm starting to wonder if it's true.

yikes 48 waaaay to young go easy big fella :(

Was built a lot like Vincent Wilfork as I recall.

Not the best build for longevity.

The problem with that build is that it can lead to either high blood pressure, or Type II Diabetes, or both.

Cortez the killer--rip

Anyone have a good source for the average life expectancy of an NFL player? I thought I read somewhere that it's 53 and I didn't believe it at the time but I'm starting to wonder if it's true.

There is conflicting reports on their life expectancy and their quality of life. Some report that their overall life is better than the general public while others report that it's much worse.

Harvard and others have been slated to run a ten year study to research the matter.

NFL players union and Harvard team up on landmark study of football injuries and illness

I'm not sure why they can't interview all ex NFL players.

I'm thinking what position you played may have a lot to do with it. A lot of the really big guys seem to have the dramatically shortened lives but that makes sense given the problems that come with their size in general.

Gone too soon. Prayers and condolences to his family, and for Cortez's immortal soul, that the good Lord rest him and keep him.

I'm thinking what position you played may have a lot to do with it. A lot of the really big guys seem to have the dramatically shortened lives but that makes sense given the problems that come with their size in general.

Yep. That's why I'm really hoping that Big Vince slims down a lot after his playing career comes to a close.

It appears that he was actually a very significant role model for Vince. His Facebook today..

image.png

I heard a while ago defensive and offensive linemen live 20-30 years shorter than the average person.

This is from a Forbes article 2013 I believe.

“For all players who play five or more years, life expectancy is less than 60; for linemen it is much less.”

“Whereas white males live to 78 years and African-American males live to approximately 70 years, it appears that professional football players in both the United States and Canada have life expectancies in the mid to late 50’s.”

Playing along the line in the NFL is absolutely insane. It's basically the equivalent to 50-60 car crashes a game.

Wilfork will forever be one of my all time favs. Basically fought 2 guys for a living weighing 600+ lbs. That's a guy who earned every penny he made. Hope I see him shaking his ass into his 80's.

Last edited:
The problem with that build is that it can lead to either high blood pressure, or Type II Diabetes, or both.

Yes, and that's tip of the iceberg. Arterial damage, clots and stroke, to say nothing of joints, feet, and back deterioration.
One reason to celebrate Vollmer's drop below 250 lbs.

I'd speculate that it's the guys who get bigger after they retire who are most at-risk. Guys who get smaller are probably doing themselves a world of good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe