PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Have the Chiefs lost their swag?

The Chiefs are about the same team as last year. They went 14-2 but had a number of wins that could have easily been loses. That of course is true for every team, but for them it always feels like they are a bit less controlled than other very good teams we have seen and depending on 'talent-ing through' or leaning on the other team to make a mistake cause they are scared of Mahomes.

We've seen this before. How many times have we seen the other team throw up on themselves an screw up at the end cause they we're scared of BB/Brady? This kind of things has happened in the NFL for a long time. Bad coaching and bad prep. The difference between what is happening to them and what happened in the past for us is that the Patriots were a more methodical operation. KC depends on the QB running around and tossing a a pass while falling down into tight coverage. It's the same thing over and over. Each time it feels like the ball is up for grabs and each time it feels like the other team is simply not prepared for something they saw last week. Where as the Patriots could and would pull it out in different ways and always in a more controlled way.

For KC it feels more unsustainable. And it is. That first year where they made a name for themselves in 2018 they put up 35PPG. The next year it was 28PPG. Even if you don't count the games where Mahomes was injured it was still lower. You also kind of need to count those games, as Mahomes style will lead to occasional injuries. In 2020 with a completely healthy Mahomes (luckily) it was 29.5PPG. This year they won't do any better. Against a crappy Browns defense they put up 33 (with limited chances, but also with a 15 yard TD drive) and against the Ravens they put up 36 with the help of a pick 6. Against a defense that while pretty good, even with their injuries plays the worst style you can against them.

I'm not saying putting up a legit 30 or close to isn't enough for an offense, but it isn't special these days either. Last year 9 teams scored 28 or more. KC was smack in the middle at 29.6 (6th overall). This offense is good, but it's not special in today's NFL. It only gets talked up more cause it gets more highlights.

Amazing win by Baltimore, they have 15 players on IR, FIFTEEN ! And they still won. The Chiefs will be there at the end, I expect another AFCCG for them. They are like Michael Meyers in the Halloween movies, you may get the best of him once in a while, but he keeps coming back at you. Chiefs will be there. I’d like to be wrong about that, but I don’t think I am.

The Chiefs are about the same team as last year. They went 14-2 but had a number of wins that could have easily been loses. That of course is true for every team, but for them it always feels like they are a bit less controlled than other very good teams we have seen and depending on 'talent-ing through' or leaning on the other team to make a mistake cause they are scared of Mahomes.

We've seen this before. How many times have we seen the other team throw up on themselves an screw up at the end cause they we're scared of BB/Brady? This kind of things has happened in the NFL for a long time. Bad coaching and bad prep. The difference between what is happening to them and what happened in the past for us is that the Patriots were a more methodical operation. KC depends on the QB running around and tossing a a pass while falling down into tight coverage. It's the same thing over and over. Each time it feels like the ball is up for grabs and each time it feels like the other team is simply not prepared for something they saw last week. Where as the Patriots could and would pull it out in different ways and always in a more controlled way.

For KC it feels more unsustainable. And it is. That first year where they made a name for themselves in 2018 they put up 35PPG. The next year it was 28PPG. Even if you don't count the games where Mahomes was injured it was still lower. You also kind of need to count those games, as Mahomes style will lead to occasional injuries. In 2020 with a completely healthy Mahomes (luckily) it was 29.5PPG. This year they won't do any better. Against a crappy Browns defense they put up 33 (with limited chances, but also with a 15 yard TD drive) and against the Ravens they put up 36 with the help of a pick 6. Against a defense that while pretty good, even with their injuries plays the worst style you can against them.

I'm not saying putting up a legit 30 or close to isn't enough for an offense, but it isn't special these days either. Last year 9 teams scored 28 or more. KC was smack in the middle at 29.6 (6th overall). This offense is good, but it's not special in today's NFL. It only gets talked up more cause it gets more highlights.
Exactly, especially your last point.

Not to take anything away from Mahomes. He's fantastic AND he is fun to watch. The latter is what gives them the extra attention, not that it isn't mostly deserved. Their offense is pretty lethal.

NFL fans, at least a lot of youngers ones play fantasy football so they equate to stats to meaning more than how the game is played in certain situations.

I could care less about stats or how entertaining it looks, just that's it's efficient, balanced and the right call for the right look in that moment. The entire league has QBs throwing for approx. 300 yards a game every week the way these rules favors offense.

Amazing win by Baltimore, they have 15 players on IR, FIFTEEN ! And they still won. The Chiefs will be there at the end, I expect another AFCCG for them. They are like Michael Meyers in the Halloween movies, you may get the best of him once in a while, but he keeps coming back at you. Chiefs will be there. I’d like to be wrong about that, but I don’t think I am.
Did you watch the game? The KC D is a sieve of epic proportions. If you haven't figured out how to stop their stupid, gimmick wishbone offense crap this point, they need to get a new D coordinator. That was pathetic. The guy can't throw.

No AFC QB's are better than Mahomes.

But your point about defense is valid.

I expect the defense to improve.
Derek Carr is making a case for having a better season so far. Also, Raiders aren't playing this year. Chiefs are going to have their hands full with them

The Chiefs are very flawed, but that doesn't mean they're not the best team in the AFC. I'm not sure if you saw a long post I wrote to you last week, but my question was whether you thought they spent wisely this offseason. I argued their defense has many huge problems, and they could have upgraded it from a C- to a B- by bringing in some difference makers. Rather, they upgraded their offensive line and perhaps upgraded their offense overall from an A- to an A. I didn't think they needed Thuney (broke the bank) or Brown (who will break the bank soon), as they just needed to upgrade horrendous, practice squad level tackles with average ones and focus on depth.

I think the first two games of the season confirm some of my criticism. I still think they'll win 13 games this year, but this stuff will make a bigger difference in the postseason when they're playing against the best competition with more tailored gameplans. That defense just lacks enough good players to actually be good; the only way to fix it is by the offense scoring tons of points, winning field position, and forcing other offenses to go into a one-dimensional pass only mode. And they've been able to do that in the past, but it's not a long-term sustainable strategy. The Chiefs have been pretty lucky that all of their superstars have stayed healthy, else that formula will break.
Raiders are making an early push for most complete team in thr AFC

I could be wrong but I believe that last defensive player kc took in round 1 was Marcus Peters. They won’t come out and say it but I think they would like a redo on that CEH pick.
Wasn't that Mahommes pick? Lol

Raiders are making an early push for most complete team in thr AFC
As stated above, they do this every year. They’ll wear down, especially on D and come back down to earth.

Great post.

Regarding your last point, this is what I've been trying to say. The 2018 Chiefs were a historic all-time great offense with the 3rd most points ever, 2nd best Points Per Drive ever, 3rd best DVOA ever. 2019 and 2020 were your typical top 5/10 offense but nothing historical. Yet we keep hearing every week how they're the greatest offense in NFL history. Leading up to the Super Bowl last season you would have thought they were some fusion of the 1998 Vikings/2000 Rams/2007 Patriots/2013 Broncos.

Great post.

Regarding your last point, this is what I've been trying to say. The 2018 Chiefs were a historic all-time great offense with the 3rd most points ever, 2nd best Points Per Drive ever, 3rd best DVOA ever. 2019 and 2020 were your typical top 5/10 offense but nothing historical. Yet we keep hearing every week how they're the greatest offense in NFL history. Leading up to the Super Bowl last season you would have thought they were some fusion of the 1998 Vikings/2000 Rams/2007 Patriots/2013 Broncos.
I will give the Chiefs props they've gone to three straight AFCCG and 2 straight Superbowls. The same problems on defense but the offense keeps doing what they want to Opposing defenses. They just keep running into that old man in Tampa and he puts them back to Earth

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back