PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Gilmore still complaining about how the Pats treated his recovery

Well I always believed he was healthy the whole time and was doing a “hold in” so I don’t know if I buy this.
I agree with you, he was unhappy because they didn't give him more money, he should just STFU and play for his new team, he signed a contract and didn't want to honor it. We got the best of him.

Well I always believed he was healthy the whole time and was doing a “hold in” so I don’t know if I buy this.
You don't buy this because it conflicts with a gut feeling you had as a fan?

This jumps out to me ...

"Like, right before I got traded, I ran like 3,000 yards in three days. Like a real workout. It’s like, why would you do all that right before you trade me? You don’t do that. Let me do it my way. I don’t know if they were trying to test (the leg) and see, I don’t know. I’m not the type of guy that says, ‘Oh, I don’t want to do that.’ I work hard. I do my stuff. I just think that wasn’t right."

3,000 yards is about 1.7 miles. Just so I'm clear, Gilmore is claiming that running 1.7 miles over the course of three days was an undue, unfairly burdensome workout?

For a professional athlete rehabbing from injury, who's nearing return (as Gilmore himself says, "right before I got traded"), it's mind-boggling that he'd complain about that. Even if the running was high-intensity, that breaks out to 1,000 yards/day, or 10 full-field wind-sprints per day. That seems completely reasonable and fair to expect of an NFL CB close to returning to live game action.

Appreciate everything Gilmore did here but this seems like an extremely weak gripe, IMO.

Last edited:
Let players determine their workloads when rehabbing. If you don’t trust a guy enough to figure this out, you shouldn’t sign him. This was an issue with Gronk as well.
Strongly disagree. That's why you pay medical and training staff. Not saying the player should have zero input, but patients don't run hospitals.

Now I do feel that they may want to review their whole rehabbing operation since these gripes seem to be a recurring theme (Gronk's refusal to play for them being the highest profile example prior to Gilmore).

Didn’t Gilmore play in his first game in Carolina? Seems to me whatever the Patriots demanded of him worked out for him. How about saying I wanted to leave because I wanted more money.

as for Gronk. I loved him when he was here but he straight screwed us. He might have been the missing piece in the playoffs Brady’s last year. He should publicly thank Bill for being able to resurrect his career in Tampa instead of being held by his contract with New England ( or staying retired).

Didn’t Gilmore play in his first game in Carolina? Seems to me whatever the Patriots demanded of him worked out for him. How about saying I wanted to leave because I wanted more money.

as for Gronk. I loved him when he was here but he straight screwed us. He might have been the missing piece in the playoffs Brady’s last year. He should publicly thank Bill for being able to resurrect his career in Tampa instead of being held by his contract with New England ( or staying retired).
New England could not have kept him. It would have put them way over the cap.

He isn't the first to complain about our doctors. Brady didn't trust our doctors after he tore his acl, Adalius Thomas, Gronk, and even Ted Johnson recently. I bet Gilmore is right, but I don't care. It is smart to never fully trust a team doctor whose allegiance is geared toward their employer. He is rich enough to get the best 2nd and 3rd opinions. From that point on it is up to him to refuse to run 3,000 miles if he feels it puts him at risk. Our team is all about business and winning so I don't blame any player that looks out for themselves. It is what it is.

Now that he is gone he should worry about being labeled a crybaby and hope his mouth doesn't make other teams leery of signing him. If he keeps running his mouth he might close the door on the type of reunion that Jamie Collins is currently experiencing with us.

He thought the pats didn't have any leverage, then he ended up in purgatory, I mean carolina. Business is business. He'll get another shot in FA.

This jumps out to me ...

3,000 yards is about 1.7 miles. Just so I'm clear, Gilmore is claiming that running 1.7 miles over the course of three days was an undue, unfairly burdensome workout?

For a professional athlete rehabbing from injury, who's nearing return (as Gilmore himself says, "right before I got traded"), it's mind-boggling that he'd complain about that. Even if the running was high-intensity, that breaks out to 1,000 yards/day, or 10 full-field wind-prints per day. That seems completely reasonable and fair to expect of an NFL CB close to return to the field.

Appreciate everything Gilmore did here but that seems like a very weak gripe, IMO.

They made him run 108,000 inches in three days. Olympic marathoners don't even do that.

Is this yellow journalism or a player longing for yesterday? MNF Bills/Patriots is on my agenda, not an ex-player.

We’ll see (if I’m ready for camp); if I need to be. But I don’t want to push it”. So they asked him to run < than 2 miles in October (3+ months after camp started)??!! Still sounds like a player who had NO intention of “pushing it” until the Pats “paid for it”. So rather than continuing to collect his $7.0M while staying on “PUP”, Bill decided on “addition by subtraction” - the Cap savings are worth more than letting this Soap Opera play out yet we still have the “DRAMA”?? Well the good news is maybe he can wear Cam’s #1 next year… As fir the rest of it - Sorry, “we’re onto the Bills”….

Is somebody paying Gilmore for these shout outs?

seems like he is looking for a secondary payday since his play this year has tapered off of late!

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back