PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Football’s toll: At least eight members of 1972 Dolphins affected by cognitive impairment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Pain

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Football’s toll: At least eight members of 1972 Dolphins affected by cognitive impairment

"That makes at least eight members of a roster of roughly 50 men who have experienced loss of acuity. And that figure includes only those who keep in regular contact with the organization; several do not.

Roughly a quarter of the ’72 team has passed away, including five from cancer. Manny Fernandez, a defensive lineman who was the star of Super Bowl VII, has had eight surgeries on his back alone. Center Jim Langer, 68, said his “legs are bad and my knees are shot” after six operations."

I meant to post something on Nick Buoniconti when I saw it locally (FL) about a week ago. Not good news.

Nick and Marc Buoniconti bear scars of the game, and painful family legacy

Then it becomes painfully clear this is nothing like that. The man you idolize, your father, your hero, a man who stood in the middle of the madness, directing traffic for a defense on the only undefeated team in NFL history, makes a simple request:

“I need your help. Zip my pants up.”​

Nick Buoniconti: The Decline of a Dolphins Legend | The MMQB with Peter King

Buoniconti doesn’t explain that he can’t figure out how to knot a tie or towel his back. He doesn’t speak of his increasingly useless left hand, the increasingly frequent trips to the emergency room or how, just a few days earlier at his home on Long Island, he hurtled backward down a staircase and sprayed blood all over the hardwood, screaming afterward at Lynn, “I should just kill myself! It doesn’t matter!”

“Everybody’s searching,” Buoniconti says in an aside, dropping his voice. “Some go to North Carolina, some to BU, some to UCLA. And it’s all related. That’s why it’s so unnecessary, what the NFL is putting the players through by making us document the neurological deficiencies. Not everybody can afford to go through that. And they say they’ll pay for it—but do you know what that’s like, actually getting the money?”

Ted and Linda leave for the ballroom. Nick and Lynn sit. Hall of Fame Vikings defensive end Chris Doleman stops by. He talks about how even the most familiar routines have become confounding, how he wakes up in his own bed wondering, Am I in a hotel? “And I’m 55,” he says. “I don’t know what I’ll be like at 59 or 65.”

“At 55 I was very normal,” Buoniconti says. “I’m not normal anymore.”​

Work beats you up in all sorts of ways. That's a big part of why they pay you to do it. Think of miners, steel workers, dock workers. Think of carpenters, most of whose knees and shoulders are shot by 50. Think of a teacher in an inner city school: the terrible price of the stress in that job.

The risks of this job are clear. They are clearer all the time, of course, but anybody with a lick of common sense since the game began has surely known that bashing into other guys deliberately is a job that entails risks.

Work is hard, which has always been in part why it is honorable. Work is not for weaklings or whiners, which means, alas, that it's not for increasing numbers of people these days. Many would rather establish their disability, their victimhood, their fragility, their having been caught unawares by the patently obvious, than do an honest job and accept what that entails, the price you pay for the pay you get.

There’s an incredible disconnect between these NFL lives and the other ex-NFL lives we hear and see in the national media. These guys are continuing with the high money success, and for the most part, give a pretty glib and rosy picture of the ex-NFL player. I think their high energy and boosterism (esp. on those pre-game, half-time, and post-game panels) give a very false idea of what the life of an ex-NFL player is all about.

But it’s what the NFL, the networks, and yes, the fans all want and need to hear. And most actually believe that in the “good old days” when there was less protection, there were actually fewer injuries. This closer examination of the 1972 Dolphins sure does give the lie to that.

Living in the enemy territory of South Florida, I can tell you the incessant worship of the Dolphin glory years is pure comedy. With little to celebrate the past 3+ decades and no true glory since 1973, Shula is their de facto tin god and Bitter Don continues to cash in a big way. You too can eat like the "legend", the "winningest coach", the "greatest" at any of his 5 distinct restaurant franchises in dozens of locations throughout Florida. His "commitment to excellence" will insure a superior dining experience.
Yes....... controlling the gag reflex can be difficult.
I don't fault the guy for his post-NFL successes....I'm just quantifying it in order to contrast his fortunes verses the realities of every day life for many of his players that elevated Shula and his "commitment of success."

"He's St. Shula," said Roxanna Collins, Dan Johnson's ex-wife.
Unlike many in South Florida, she doesn't exactly consider Don Shula a deity.
"Dan was like a piece of meat to him"

David Whitley: Dolphins' 'King of Pain' deserves a little relief

Work beats you up in all sorts of ways. That's a big part of why they pay you to do it. Think of miners, steel workers, dock workers. Think of carpenters, most of whose knees and shoulders are shot by 50. Think of a teacher in an inner city school: the terrible price of the stress in that job.

The risks of this job are clear. They are clearer all the time, of course, but anybody with a lick of common sense since the game began has surely known that bashing into other guys deliberately is a job that entails risks.

Work is hard, which has always been in part why it is honorable. Work is not for weaklings or whiners, which means, alas, that it's not for increasing numbers of people these days. Many would rather establish their disability, their victimhood, their fragility, their having been caught unawares by the patently obvious, than do an honest job and accept what that entails, the price you pay for the pay you get.

Sorry, was I on your lawn or something?

The average NFL player made 23k a year in the 70's which is a little over 100k in todays money.

People risk a lot more for a lot less than that. Couldn't possibly care less. Although somehow I find a way when it comes to players that made even more than that.

Two points:

One, the debilitating effect of CTE was not "patently obvious" to players in the 1970's. Indeed, it was actively denied by the NFL itself until very recently. I would agree that kids starting to play the game today can be said to go into it with their "eyes open" in relation to CTE. But, I'd only start that particular clock running in the last two or three years.

Two, even if one makes the legitimate argument that "bashing into other guys deliberately is a job that entails risks" (a statement with which I do agree), that doesn't mitigate the humane obligation of those for whom they worked to show compassion for their situation in later life and absorb the costs of their medical care along with funding research into CTE and ways to limit its occurrence. A little compassion from the rest of us wouldn't hurt either.

As for your final paragraph, I'd suggest that you take it to the Political Forum.

Last edited:

No excuses for those who cheat the system and get something for nothing.

But, those who do work are entitled to corresponding support for their sacrifices. A fair pension and decent medical coverage. There are far more than enough resources to provide that. The paycheck alone is not meant to cover all that.

But, those who do work are entitled to corresponding support for their sacrifices. A fair pension and decent medical coverage. There are far more than enough resources to provide that. The paycheck alone is not meant to cover all that.

Plenty of people have no healthcare or retirement unless they themselves provide for it

Two points:

One, the debilitating effect of CTE was not "patently obvious" to players in the 1970's. Indeed, it was actively denied by the NFL itself until very recently. I would agree that kids starting to play the game today can be said to go into it with their "eyes open" in relation to CTE. But, I'd only start that particular clock running in the last two or three years.

Two, even if one makes the legitimate argument that "bashing into other guys deliberately is a job that entails risks" (a statement with which I do agree), that doesn't mitigate the humane obligation of those for whom they worked to show compassion for their situation in later life and absorb the costs of their medical care along with funding research into CTE and ways to limit its occurrence. A little compassion from the rest of us wouldn't hurt either.

As for your final paragraph, I'd suggest that you take it to the Political Forum.

The notion that people in the 70's lacked the common sense to know that football is dangerous and that getting pounded in the head is bad for your head is preposterous. The term CTE was not then current, but the reality to which the term refers was indeed as patently obvious then as it is now. I am happy to "show compassion." as their travails, though foreseeable and therefore their repsonsibility, are indeed unfortunate. As to the subsidization of their efforts to address their problems, please do feel free to do so on your own dime if you wish - I have different charitable priorities. As to their employers' responsibilties in the matter, though I have not followed the matter very closely, I have seen nothing in their actions or representations which would make them liable at all.

As to where I post what, you may suggest whatever you like, but expect to be ignored.

There is no entitlement, constitutional or statutory, to "decent medical coverage." As you find yourself so flush with resources, feel free to donate as you wish to the cause here. What possibly might be the basis for this childish assertion that "the paycheck alone is not meant to cover all that"? "Meant" by whom, on what basis, with what legitimate implications for the obligations of the employer or of the citizenry at large?

Sorry, I am having trouble reconciling posts from the 1960s with the technology of the internet era.

Well, I see your problem. When you assay something original, the result is this sort of embarrassing jibberish. Maybe just stick to emoticons.

Well, I see your problem. When you assay something original, the result is this sort of embarrassing jibberish. Maybe just stick to emoticons.

Thanks, wise one, although to be fair my jibberish is apparently found amusing by some. BTW, (that's an acronym for "by the way" BTW) I used to play ice hockey in the 1970's, and even got some concussions while doing so. Yet somehow, despite my father and his two brothers and all their friends being doctors, nobody mentioned to me the long-term impact this was likely to have, told me to quit playing ice hockey before I scrambled my brains or otherwise indicated that this was the sort of thing one ought not to do for one's health. In fact, they seemed to be of the opposite opinion, that getting ones' "bell rung" was a proper and normal part of growing up and "becoming a man" as were the various other myriad injuries I managed to acquire along the way.

But it wasn't just them - the NFL was also of that opinion, and has spent millions of dollars to maintain that stance even when there was pretty conclusive evidence that this wasn't the case. Now that the evidence is out there, they've shifted to the usual sorts of corporate tactics designed to remove liability and reduce any payments to those affected. Yup, good honest hard work they're doing. And OF COURSE football players in the 70's should have known they'd be prone to CTE, a disease that was only diagnosed a couple of decades later - idiots! Who couldn't see long-term structural changes to the brain from the effects of multiple micro-concussive impacts when they were kids or teenagers playing a game?

Anyway, would love to continue our dialogue, but must get back to the sweatshop to oil the chains of my worker-slaves; they'll be pleased though to hear that they're not whiners or weaklings.

I hate these stories. Hate. Hate. Hate.

I don't care if players say they'd do it the same all over again. Knees, back, shoulders. That sucks.

To forget how to hang up a phone? To go out like that is just cruel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back