PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Did the Pats Consider Trading Brady Instead of Bledsoe After SB 36?

Also in that post-season:

1.) The Cowboys got lucky against the Lions.
2.) The Packers got lucky against the Cowboys.
3.) The Seahawks got lucky against the Packers.
4.) The Pats got lucky against the Seahawks....even after the Seahawks had a BS TD just before half time on Logan Ryan (all he had to do was commit a PI), technically an illegal ref rub route to score against Revis, and then finally that stupid catch by Kearse.....

The football gods fixed that BS.

that postseason was nuts! All those games plus the ravens Patriots game wow

@MahomestoHill

I thought the Chiefs should have spent the off-season money on their defense. That unit is just not great…maybe not good. Mathieu makes a big difference, but even with him they’re a bend-don’t-break.

We looked at their advanced stats before last SB and noted the huge split between actual performance (play by play )and outcome (doing enough to win, points allowed.)

One can argue they’re designed to do this, and that some yards allowed are due to prevents, but unlike the Patriots with Brady, the team just lacks a lot of objectively good and great players, unlike those Pats defenses.

Meanwhile, on the offensive line, it surprised me they spent so much money on Thuney and Brown (well, Brown’s contract will be coming up.) I do think Mahomes would do fine with an average or even subpar line; what we saw in the SB was a perfect storm of Tampa’s personnel, tackles who weren’t even practice squad level, and reshuffling issues. So, I think that was literally an F-graded o-line, and Mahomes would do okay with a C-rated line. I don’t think elite players/contracts were necessary.

So I see all this money on the o-line as an overreaction, while the defense is going to have some big problems. They could
have brought in competent o-linemen much cheaper and then signed a handful of upgrades for defense, where they really need it. Do you agree with this take?
Absolutely.

And the 2020 Chiefs were on borrowed time imo. People forget that they were getting narrow wins against not so great times.

The postseason hit. Despite beating Cleveland & Buffalo, the warning signs were there. The offense started games slow. Went off. Defense barely hung on.

Everything finally caved in on that fateful February night in TB.

My biggest concern is that the defense is going to get lit up in the postseason and Mahomes won't be able to be the hero. The RB has been a bust thus far too.

The defense needs to get fixed. Get some good to great corners. Hell I'd be open to giving up high picks for Gilmore. The safety is feast or famine (Mathieu has lost a step imo).Chris Jones is great. Otherwise there's nothing impressive upfront.

Absolutely.

And the 2020 Chiefs were on borrowed time imo. People forget that they were getting narrow wins against not so great times.

The postseason hit. Despite beating Cleveland & Buffalo, the warning signs were there. The offense started games slow. Went off. Defense barely hung on.

Everything finally caved in on that fateful February night in TB.

My biggest concern is that the defense is going to get lit up in the postseason and Mahomes won't be able to be the hero. The RB has been a bust thus far too.

The defense needs to get fixed. Get some good to great corners. Hell I'd be open to giving up high picks for Gilmore. The safety is feast or famine (Mathieu has lost a step imo).Chris Jones is great. Otherwise there's nothing impressive upfront.
The chiefs can’t afford Gilmore

NewEra called after claiming that Brady was the reason for the Super Bowl 52 loss.

it was the defense that could not save the pats that day the way they did in 2014…….and 2016……and 2018

without outstanding individual plays by others than Brady, the Pats might have 1 or 2 SB’s

it was the defense that could not save the pats that day the way they did in 2014…….and 2016……and 2018

without outstanding individual plays by others than Brady, the Pats might have 1 or 2 SB’s
You mean if Brady played the other team all by himself, he still wins 2 superbowls? Thats amazing. When you get 600 yards of offense and lose, the defense didnt not save you, they failed you. I will let you in on a secret....in every single NFL win in the history of the NFL. more than one player made a good play. shhhhhhh. But here is the difference....some players make a lot more than others...which is why most vaulable does not mean only valuable. Because believe it or not. If Brady does not make outstanding individual plays, they dont win any superbowls.

You mean if Brady played the other team all by himself, he still wins 2 superbowls? Thats amazing. When you get 600 yards of offense and lose, the defense didnt not save you, they failed you. I will let you in on a secret....in every single NFL win in the history of the NFL. more than one player made a good play. shhhhhhh. But here is the difference....some players make a lot more than others...which is why most vaulable does not mean only valuable. Because believe it or not. If Brady does not make outstanding individual plays, they dont win any superbowls.

what outstanding individual plays did he make in 2001? 2003? 2005? 2014? 2018?

He wasn't always outstanding in their SB wins.

what outstanding individual plays did he make in 2001? 2003? 2005? 2014? 2018?
kidding right
He wasn't always outstanding in their SB wins.
Including the losses, mostly yes. Some ugly plays in the second Giants game.

Not his fault they dropped him back a million times in the first one. Strategical blunder.

Key for Tom is, he almost never made fatal turnovers. Falcons pick was not at the end, with everything on the line. Eagles at the end, again, should have been handing the ball off. Even the GOAT can't just light it up for 700 passing yards without getting hit. Stupid, fatal call.

Anyway, NOT turning the ball over and managing the game are unspectacular aspects, but critical. Tom always did this on purpose; not by accident. In this regard he's miles ahead of Manning, Elway, Marino, etc.

kidding right

Including the losses, mostly yes. Some ugly plays in the second Giants game.

Not his fault they dropped him back a million times in the first one. Strategical blunder.

Key for Tom is, he almost never made fatal turnovers. Falcons pick was not at the end, with everything on the line. Eagles at the end, again, should have been handing the ball off. Even the GOAT can't just light it up for 700 passing yards without getting hit. Stupid, fatal call.

Anyway, NOT turning the ball over and managing the game are unspectacular aspects, but critical. Tom always did this on purpose; not by accident. In this regard he's miles ahead of Manning, Elway, Marino, etc.
I thought that the 2011 SB was the one where they should have run more. That NYG defense was poor against the run. It could have been the case in 2007 too.

It truly was amazing how few mistakes Brady made at key times. About the only one I can think of was the pick 6/Ben Watson play vs the Broncos in, what, 2005?

One thing I noticed in the TB game last week was how Brady throws the shorter passes very low. Most of those passes were waist high or lower. That helps keep INTs down and receivers healthy.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Back