PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Dallas To Stick With McCarthy

BB should just retire. Going to Atlanta would be sadly beneath him. It would require too much work especially at his age and serve neither the franchise's interests nor his own.
Hush.

I want best of both worlds.

Pats move on, which was necessary, and the local team here becomes at least interesting.

Plus I know Falcons people so I’d have a good shot at fun inside looks.

Power dynamic is a little odd here though with Mckay, and Fontenont. No one really knows who makes the decisions.

Hell I’d pull for Bill as long as it doesn’t impact the Pats.

Falcons have nada at QB though so likely looking at Russ who Bill seems to like.

Atlanta has talent and play in a weak division. They just need a Qb. If Chicago go Williams I can see Atlanta trading for Fields which would likely put them as favourites for the division.

Atlanta has talent and play in a weak division. They just need a Qb. If Chicago go Williams I can see Atlanta trading for Fields which would likely put them as favourites for the division.
Problem is.... they don't have a QB. It's hard to get a QB. Some teams go over a decade or longer searching for a QB. Atlanta has the 8th overall pick.

Problem is.... they don't have a QB. It's hard to get a QB. Some teams go over a decade or longer searching for a QB. Atlanta has the 8th overall pick.
Very true. If Chicago go Williams I think there will be a few teams looking to make a play for Fields including Atlanta and the Pats.

I wouldn’t be disappointed if we went MHJ with the 3rd pick and then traded our 2nd for Fields.

Honestly not firing him is the right move imo. Jordan Love was not going to be stopped that day. I guess you could try to place blame on the defense but the Packers just looked like they were possessed and nothing could be done.

Honestly not firing him is the right move imo. Jordan Love was not going to be stopped that day. I guess you could try to place blame on the defense but the Packers just looked like they were possessed and nothing could be done.
Blown coverages, wrong gaps and terrible tackling. Yeah, nothing to see there.

Jerry may be regretting this decision when his Cowboys lose to the Falcons next Wild Card Weekend….

They have the #8 pick, they could pretty much draft Daniels there and Chicago has the #9, if there's a player they really want at 8 they could trade up with Atlanta and send Fields (assuming they drafted a QB at #1)

The point is, Atlanta can get a QB either via draft or FA.

I never thought Bill and Jerry could coexist no matter what all the talking heads were speculating. I’m guessing there was a phone call between the two of them. Schefter says he doesn’t think there was but there had to be.

The Dallas game was horribly coached on both sides of the ball.

Packers were flooding the zones, Cowboys never went underneath. They thought they could force it all game to their WRs who were operating against 5 men.

On defense, the Cowboys were way too aggressive, sending extra men, and attacking attacking attacking.

Stephon Gilmore may have lost a step, but it's certainly not his fault that the Packers WR ran a post route and there was absolutely no safety help.

The coaching was totally mindless, and Jordan Love wouldn't have looked so great if not for the Cowboys abandoning the middle of the field.

Last edited:
Surprised by this. Makes sense when you really think about it though. The Jones’s couldn’t stand a dude like Belichick walking in that building. They couldn’t handle it.
Jerry Jones has a terrible track record with coaches. Seems to prefer yes men. Chan Gailey, Dave Campo, Wade Phillips, Jason Garrett. Garrett especially stuck around way too long because he knew not to challenge Jones. I’m guessing Mike McCarthy is in the same boat, telling Jones what he wants to hear. Bill Belichick is the type to say what he needs to hear. It’s a shame because JJ and BB share the same goal of having one more Super Bowl title, but clearly (to me at least) Jones doesn’t want to relinquish any control.

If you look at it, it isn't all this surprising. Jerrah has stuck with Jason Garrett for like ten years despite his lack of playoff success. McCarthy has had similar playoff success and more success in the regular season.

I think it is a lose/lose for the Cowboys and Belichick though. I think Bill had his best shot to get another ring in Dallas. And I think Belichick could have gotten the Cowboys to stop underachieving in the playoffs.

If you look at it, it isn't all this surprising. Jerrah has stuck with Jason Garrett for like ten years despite his lack of playoff success. McCarthy has had similar playoff success and more success in the regular season.

I think it is a lose/lose for the Cowboys and Belichick though. I think Bill had his best shot to get another ring in Dallas. And I think Belichick could have gotten the Cowboys to stop underachieving in the playoffs.
The Cowboys are screwed with Dak
Good regular season QB but he just doesn't have it in the postseason

The Dallas game was horribly coached on both sides of the ball.

Packersw were flooding the zones, Cowboys never went underneath. They thought they could force it all game to their WRs who were operating against 5 men.

On defense, the Cowboys were way too aggressive, sending extra men, and attacking attacking attacking.

Stephon Gilmore may have lost a step, but it's certainly not his fault that the Packers WR ran a post route and there was absolutely no safety help.

The coaching was totally mindless, and Jordan Love wouldn't have looked so great if not for the Cowboys abandoning the middle of the field.
right.. love was doing back-foot popups, but the receivers were so open that it worked!

They have the #8 pick, they could pretty much draft Daniels there and Chicago has the #9, if there's a player they really want at 8 they could trade up with Atlanta and send Fields (assuming they drafted a QB at #1)

They won't get Daniels at 8. Williams, Maye & Daniels are going 1, 2, 3. If Chicago, Washington or NE doesn't want a QB, they'll trade the pick to a team that does, for a king's ransom.

They won't get Daniels at 8. Williams, Maye & Daniels are going 1, 2, 3. If Chicago, Washington or NE doesn't want a QB, they'll trade the pick to a team that does, for a king's ransom.
if we can get a king's ransom, I think we should trade it!

I doubt Daniel’s lasts until 8. There’s a lot of teams that need QBs that can jump ahead of Atlanta (Jets, Broncos, Vikings, Raiders) and the Giants are at 6.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
Back