PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: College Bowl, 2 many?

Status
Not open for further replies.

420jim

On the Game Day Roster
Reaction score
Remember way back when, when college just had a lot of Bowl Games, every New Years Day we had The Rose Bowl, The Orange Bowl, Cotton Bowl, Sugar Bowl, Peach Bowl, and a few more, you my name a few that I missed if you choose but I think you know what I mean about this. You’d wake up turn on the tube and watch pretty good games on the big 3 networks all day. This year we have 32 Bowl game, it’s almost to the point where if you don’t go to a bowl, your school doesn’t have a team. The names of some of these Bowl games are just ridiculous, here’s the list, make fun of them as you please….

Poinsettia Bowl… Dec. 19th

Las Vegas Bowl…Dec. 21

New Orleans Bowl…Dec. 22

Papa Johns.com Bowl…Dec 23rd
Papa Johns.com Bowl, what the hell is that? Ya, that would make me proud, I played in the Papa Johns Bowl

New Mexico Bowl…Dec. 23rd
Wait, theres a NEW Mexico, what happened to the old Mexico?

Armed Forces Bowl…Dec 23rd
Its played between Utah & Tulsa, not even an armed forces team is invited to that, but having an Armed Forces team play in that Bowl makes too much sense.

Hawaii Bowl…Dec.24th
I have to admit, I would mind going to Hawaii in December.

Motor City Bowl…Dec 27th

Emerald Bowl…Dec.27th

Independence Bowl…Dec. 28
Played in Shreveport Louisiana, Since when did Louisiana play a part in America’s Independence? At least if they played in Philly I could understand the name.

Texas Bowl…Dec. 28
Kansas State vs. Rutgers, again between two team that have nothing to do with the name.

Holiday Bowl…Dec. 28
Sounds festive doesn’t it…Didn’t think so.

Music City Bowl…Dec.29

Sun Bowl… Dec.29

Liberty Bowl… Dec.29
Played in Memphis TN., I thought the Liberty Bell was in Philadelphia, who knew.

Champs Sports Bowl…Dec. 29

Insight Bowl…Dec.29
I have some insight for you, nobody cares

Meineke Car Care Bowl…Dec.30th
Meineke Car Care Bowl? Nothing says football like a broken muffler

Alamo Bowl…Dec.30th
At least Texas is playing in that one

Peach Bowl…Dec. 30th
At least I’ve heard of that one before.

MPC Computers Bowl…Dec. 31
No, I’m not making this up, MPC Computers Bowl, this time its for real.

Cotton Bowl…Jan. 1st

Outback Bowl…Jan. 1st
Nothing says tailgate like shrimp on the barbi

Capitol One Bowl…Jan 1st

Gator Bowl…Jan 1st

Rose Bowl…Jan 1st

Fiesta Bowl…Jan 1st

Orange Bowl…Jan 2nd

Sugar Bowl…Jan. 3rd

International Bowl…Jan. 6th
Played by 2 American teams in Toronto, I guess no American city wanted this one

GMAC Bowl…Jan. 7th
Played at Fords Field (that’s a joke) along with the name

Finally…
BCS Championship…Jan.8th
I guess they ran out of stupid names, but I’m sure they’ll think up one before next year.

I know this is long, but thats how many games there are.

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: OT: Collage Bowl, 2 many?

All this talk about Bowl games . . . are we talking ten pin or candlepin??

Re: OT: Collage Bowl, 2 many?

The more football the better, baby.

What can I say, we love rewarding mediocrity. 32 bowls, 64 teams. Almost half of Division I football. You can go to to the bowl game with a 6-6 record. Ridiculous.

8-8 in the NFL makes the playoffs sometimes.

Will we see the day whan a 7-9 team makes it?

8-8 makes the playoff sometimes and we just say things just worked out for them but don't expect it to happen again, but 6-6 in college football is almost guaranteed.

NFC this year is weak, I don't know all the mathematical possibilities, but I think a day will come in the NFC where a 7-9 team will make the playoff.

Last edited:
Why is it too many, I wish they were more. I rather watch football on TV than watch anything else. If the game is no good, i turn it off and do something else.

Bowl games are not a reward, they are a cash cow for local chamber of commerces.

Bowl games are not a reward, they are a cash cow for local chamber of commerces.

And are a cash cow for the sponsor as well... they wouldn't sponsor anything unless it helped their bottom line, not enough of a business person to understand all of this, but it is win win for everyone.

Of course there are too many. There are too many so mediocre coaches can save their jobs by going to a bowl and mediocre teams (yes you Boston College) can say they won their bowl every year.

If you aren't in a BCS Bowl, no one goes as evidenced by the ridiculous amount of empty seats at the games, no one watches as evidenced by the pitiful ratings, and no one cares.

I'd rather see a playoff system frankly between 16 teams. It'll likely never happen though as that means you add four games to the schedule which is 33% more than the average 12 game schedule college teams play nowadays.

I'd rather see a playoff system frankly between 16 teams. It'll likely never happen though as that means you add four games to the schedule which is 33% more than the average 12 game schedule college teams play nowadays.

The sound of Sanity and Reason!

All these clowns yelling for a college football playoff, are never asking for the Div 1 teams to cut back their seasons from 12 to 8 games, so there is room for a four game playoff series. A three game playoff would only let 8 teams compete, and the colleges would have to cut back to 9 game seasons. I'm sure there would be complaints, that some deserving "ninth place" overlooked club was really the best in the land...

Even with a so called two game playoff with the top four you really need to still have the league championship game and then the playoff so the colleges need to cut back their seasons, by three games.

No one would do so.

The use of the present big bowls as a partial playoff with the two "best clubs" among the league champs invited to BCS championship bowl is about the best system that I could envision.

Frankly "March Madness" of college basketball, for the Terrific 256, or Ominous 128, or Sexy 64, or Tremendous 32, yada, yada, yada, is way, way overboard. I, like most fans, don't pay attention until the final eight or probably final four. Most of the earlier playoffs attract only extreme team partisans and not much more...

I can't think of how anybody can be in favor of the BCS right now. A playoff will always be better than a bunch of people and computers "voting" for the best 1-2 teams in the nation. Nobody can argue with a 8-team playoff because the range is wide enough to include everybody who could potentially be of national championship caliber. The problem here is that how can you realistically say Florida is a better #2, or Michigan is a better #2? With 8 teams, all contenders have a chance to prove it on the playing field.

And yes, we know bowl game are only for money, but what does that say about our culture? That it's perfectly okay to accept mediocrity? That it's okay if we win 6 games out of 12 because we can still go to a bowl game? And make no mistake about it, a 6-6 record is mediocre, and I'd say 7-5 record is mediocre too.

College football is too important to too many people to let a few computers and voters to determine its champion. Period.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick