PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Anyone need some nice humor?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: I'm the one who "won" this new fan for the Pats!

Hello everyone. I'm JudyPatFan and I bid on and "won" our new Super Fan via ebay, after reading about him on this thread. I really hope you will welcome him. My husband is a longtime Jets fan so I do things like this to make him mad! The patsfans.com crowd respresents a passionate and savvy fan base. I hope they will make it easy for you to learn everything you need to know to be an educated and dedicated Pats fan! Judy

Welcome to the Board, Judy. By what name will the 'asset' be referred to?

I guess it wasn't clear, but our new Pats fan signed up on this board as Rottenfruit and already made his first couple of posts earlier on this thread. I hope you'll all welcome him, as well as welcoming me! (I've been a Pats fan since learning about football at my dad's knee as a girl on the North Shore of Massachusetts, decades ago.) Judy

Here's his interview explaining his decision to ditch the Cowboy's as a fan. This guy is truly not happy with the Cowboys.

LMAO. He speaks the truth. It all starts with Jerry Jones. He runs Jimmy Johnson off [after what that guy did!!??], then after Switzer, hires puppet/yes-men like Campo, Chan Gailey and now Phillips who let Jones run the show. Ran off Parcells after they didn't see eye-to-eye. Complete f'in moron--polar opposite of Robert Kraft who lets the football people make the football decisions.

So as a new Pats Fan, what are some of the first few things I need to know? I am here and ready to get it busy prepping for next season, and becoming a life long fan. So lay it on me...teach me the ways of the Pats Fans. Hi Judy!

So as a new Pats Fan, what are some of the first few things I need to know? I am here and ready to get it busy prepping for next season, and becoming a life long fan. So lay it on me...teach me the ways of the Pats Fans. Hi Judy!

Rule # 1 : Never...NEVER watch, read, or even think about ESPN...

Rule # 1 : Never...NEVER watch, read, or even think about ESPN...

More rules for 'rottenfruit'

#2. Remember the phrase "in Bill we trust"
#3. never ever bring up "_ _ _ gate"....those words are forbidden here.
#4. DO NOT start multiple threads about dumb things, like trading Brady.
#5. You must hate the Jets, Browns, and Colts....and the Manning brothers :)

:welcome:

Well, its quite simple. We had very little pass rush last year, never have all our backs (running, or secondary) healthy. Too many big plays against the defense. So lets start there. Do you have any opinions on who we can draft with our large assortment of picks :D

Rottenfruit,
To me, the only way to truly understand what it takes to be a Patsfan, is to experience the painful years we had from 1988-1993. Obviously, you can't go back in time...but you can get the feeling by having a colleague or friend kick you square in the crotch OR you can get a flavor watching Parts 1 to 6 of "A Brief History of the New England Patriots:
YouTube - A Brief History of The New England Patriots

First assignment is to head to the library or book store and read the following:
The Education of a Coach by David Halberstam
Patriot Reign by Michael Holley
The Blueprint by Christopher Price

More rules for 'rottenfruit'

#2. Remember the phrase "in Bill we trust"
#3. never ever bring up "_ _ _ gate"....those words are forbidden here.
#4. DO NOT start multiple threads about dumb things, like trading Brady.
#5. You must hate the Jets, Browns, and Colts....and the Manning brothers :)

:welcome:

I feeling pretty good about all of those. I mean, after all, I'm coming into this deal as the biggest Eli Manning hater on the planet, and Peyton shares that same mongrel blood so I guess I already hate him too, but just never really thought that much about it. I can muster ample hate for the Jets just based on their willingness to let the old man back into the league. I hate when people make a big stink about their retirement, and then want to come back. I hate Favre and I hate the Jets. The Browns, I mean come one....who doesn't hate the pathetic organization?

What's the stink with ESPN?

I'll briefly break the rule on discussing "____gate" to make this clear.

Last year in September spygate erupted. It was a big story, perhaps overblown, but our coaches had dome things wrong, admitted it, and were severely punished. Biggest fine ever, loss of 1st round pick. Yowsa. End of story, you think?

Then a guy named Fish at ESPN and Tomase at the Boston Herald, days before before the Super Bowl, invented a new controversy we call "liegate" or "fabrigate". This controversy was based upon their feeling that the actions that brought about the punishment in spygate were only the tip of the iceberg, there was much more, including the taping of the Rams walkthrough before the Super Bowl.

This was made up crap. Even the Herald admitted that, eventually, and apologized. Many didn't accept their apology, since the made up story was so damaging and was timed to possibly affect Super Bowl preparations.

ESPN never apologized for giving so much airtime to a made up story. They never gave any clear indication that they regretted anything, that they shouldn't have relied on shaky info. To make things worse, they even very much underplayed the story that came out later, that "fabrigate" was a total crock of crap, and ESPN tools like Mark Schlereth basically said that he didn't believe anything the commissioner determined. He didn't even believe the fired 4th string video guy after he came forward and explained how the sideline tapes were used.

ESPN has no accountability. If they are wrong about something, they deny it and move onto the next story if it is sufficiently sensational. They hire blowhard hypocrites like Mark Schlereth, who can say anything and have no consequences for misstatements.

They overcover or make up damning stories about teams they dislike or that gives them ratings points to bash, like the Patriots. When a favored son team, like the Colts, does something (Case in point, a profane playoff postgame tirade by perennial pro bowler Dwight Freeney accusing corrupt officiating)it never gets reported at all. The Freeney incident got mentioned NOWHERE until the NFL fined him a week later, and was never replayed (even bleeped out) on ESPN. Would that be the case if it were a Patriot player? It would have led off Sports Center for a week.

So, you need to know that ESPN is your enemy, that spygate was real, unfortunate, regrettable, well-punished, probably well overblown, and behind us. You need to know that liegate or fabrigate was something totally different and the mere existence of such a made up crock of bull is unforgivable.

Last edited:
Rottenfruit,
To me, the only way to truly understand what it takes to be a Patsfan, is to experience the painful years we had from 1988-1993. Obviously, you can't go back in time...but you can get the feeling by having a colleague or friend kick you square in the crotch OR you can get a flavor watching Parts 1 to 6 of "A Brief History of the New England Patriots:
YouTube - A Brief History of The New England Patriots

I completely agree that the pride we feel as Pats fans now and the sweetness of each victory and winning season is due at least in part to the horrible times we suffered through in the past.

I hadn't known about that YouTube series. I just watched five parts (couldn't find #6 anywhere). The fact that the audio was disabled on part 4 was a downer, and the series is a bit disjointed (not mentioning which year is which throughout), but it brings back some of the painful memories of poor performances of the past (as well as some of the more recent highs).

I like the list of three books that have been recommended to our newly-recruited Pats fan Rottenfruit, and appreciate the excellent explanation for disliking and distrusting ESPN. I am hoping that some other folks might offer advice for Rottenfruit (or anyone else wanting to be a Pats fan).

Does anyone have an opinion: is it worth asking the moderators the following question: this thread started in the main forum, got moved here to the NFL forum because it wasn't about the Pats. Now that it's about the Pats again, after I "won" Rottenfruit's loyalties for our team on ebay, might it belong in the main forum again, to get more people involved (and amused)? Judy

Hi Rottenfruit - Welcome aboard! You are joining the bandwagon at a great time (as others have mentioned, pre-1993, except for spurts here and there, it was kind of embarrassing to be a Pats fan).

I think the Pats will be a great team as long as we have BB as coach and TB as QB. I guess BB proved somewhat this season that the Pats can even be great without TB, although we did miss the playoffs without him and probably would have won a few more games with TB under center.

So here are some things to learn as a Pats fan:

1) Develop the feeling that we are going to win every game we play and get excited for every game. What I mean by this is, back before we had BB and TB (and I guess this was somewhat lessened by the Drew Bledsoe, Big Tuna combo) Pats fans would tune in every week wondering how the Pats were going to find a way to lose, as they always seemed to do. Now, we can't believe it if we lose a game. Every game seems winnable and it's exciting to see how the game plan unfolds before our eyes.

2) Develop a dislike of Roger Goodell. He screwed us on many levels in the Spygate saga and we don't like him or the way he runs the league.

3) Develop and intense dislike for the NY Jets, one of our diivision rivals with whom over the years we've traded coaches and players multiple times, sometimes not voluntarily. Now they've got a new sheriff who in his opening press conference basically says he is going to come here and punch us in the mouth. Hmmmm...we'll see (PS the Pats LOVE to use trash talk as motivation - if you ever get a chance, watch the 3 Games to Glory DVD on the Pats vs. Eagles SB. One of the extras is BB quietly reading to an auditorium of silent Pats players the newspaper articles talking about where and when the Eagles victory parade is going to take place. Classic).

4) Develop a healthy respect for the Miami Dolphins who, no matter how badly they are playing any given year, always give us a run for our $$, and many times take at least 1 out of 2 match-ups per year.

5) Be glad we have the Buffalo Bills in our division as we have had their # for years and it doesn't look like we are going to lose it any time soon, as they have retained their coach and two crappy QBs.

6) Hope like (most of) the rest of us that Tom Brady comes back healthy, on-time, and is ready to pick up where he left off.

7) Enjoy yourself! We don't have as much drama off the field as the Cowboys, but on the field the Patriots are THE BEST team in football right now. They are always "in it" and keep it exciting every week!

Hmm, some very interesting things to think about indeed. First I want to address the ESPN thing. I understand now why we hate ESPN, but it really isn't much of a change for me. See, I love the game, but I despise the media. This country is a slave to it, and rarely is it used in a positive manner. There are few things in this world that I hate more than irresponsible media, which almost all of it is, and ESPN is no different in my eyes. Secondly, I never realized that my ex and the Pats share a common bond in they were both once part of the Tuna-Bledsoe duo. Although I must say, the duo was not the same duo as they were in New England due to things such as age and lack of passion. I have a lot of thing to catch up on, with the reading and watching and what-nots, but I will use my off season wisely to do just that. It is going to be a kickass season in 09.

Any thoughts on the Bowl? Who's gonna win? Who would like to see win?

Hey, how's our new Superfan doing?

LOL....you guys are too much! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes