PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OPTIONS AT QB

Status
Not open for further replies.

mgteich

PatsFans.com Veteran
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
I thought that I'd re-visit this as we come closer to the draft. The draft isn't the end of Belichick's possibilities. He might want to wait until after the draft. After all, he might get who he wants there. Also, the situation for other teams will be different after the draft, after they draft a quarterback.

THE DRAFT
Obviously, this depends on opportunity.
A) Tua, Herbert (would require a considerable trade up)
B) Love (with or without a trade up)
C) Hurts, Eason, Fromm, Gordon (or perhaps another in the first four rounds)
This player would be competition for Stidham in 2020 and/or 2021
D) 5th rounder or later or do nothing
This player would not be likely to make the 53

AFTER THE DRAFT
E) Trade for Rosen or sign after he is cut.
F) Sign Dalton after he is cut.
G) Newton
H) Winston
I) trade for Carr

I don’t like options
B, D, E, F, G, H, I

How about Andrew Luck coming out of retirement and forcing his way to the Patriots in 2021?

If they do trade Thuney it opens up the possibility for signing a higher priced option, but do not care for the choices of Rosen, Dalton, Newton or Winston.. unless BB & crew see something I don't see.

A lot depends on what the coaches saw last year during practices, has Stidham advanced that far that he can assume the reins???

We will all know more on Saturday..

I don’t like options
B, D, E, F, G, H, I

I get it.

At this point, Belichick is likely to agree. The question is whether Belichick can get at least a competitor in the first 4 rounds. If not, then the other options may be considered, or NOT.

The rumor is the 49ers are looking to trade down to get more picks. The question is, what do they want for #13 ? Would we have to trade 23, a 3rd and a 4th ? Is that too much ? I'd say, if Tua and Herbert are gone by #6, no need to trade up, UNLESS they target something other than QB. Possibly an elite WR ?

C or D only and he makes the team.

Wasting first round draft capital on another quarterback makes little sense. Everyone but Joe Burrow has question marks. If there is a season, the training camps and the preseason will almost certainly be abbreviated, leaving little time for a rookie to digest the notoriously complex Patriot offense. And the problem with two QBs is that only one plays. If you have two good players at almost any other position, they both see the field.
With the 2020 season in doubt, it might be better to wait until the 2021 draft, which offers some intrigue. If the 2020 college season is cancelled, all teams will be picking based on 2019 and maybe 2018 performance, a bigger crapshoot than most years. I always like BB and the Patriots to navigate uncharted waters better than the opposition.

I thought that I'd re-visit this as we come closer to the draft. The draft isn't the end of Belichick's possibilities. He might want to wait until after the draft. After all, he might get who he wants there. Also, the situation for other teams will be different after the draft, after they draft a quarterback.

THE DRAFT
Obviously, this depends on opportunity.
A) Tua, Herbert (would require a considerable trade up)
B) Love (with or without a trade up)
D) 5th rounder or later or do nothing
This player would not be likely to make the 53

AFTER THE DRAFT
E) Trade for Rosen or sign after he is cut.
F) Sign Dalton after he is cut.
G) Newton
H) Winston
I) trade for Carr
I like the idea of signing Rosen. The kid was given a raw deal in both AZ and MIA. I think he’d thrive in this system if he can accept coaching.

The rumor is the 49ers are looking to trade down to get more picks. The question is, what do they want for #13 ? Would we have to trade 23, a 3rd and a 4th ? Is that too much ? I'd say, if Tua and Herbert are gone by #6, no need to trade up, UNLESS they target something other than QB. Possibly an elite WR ?

2020 NFL Trade Value Chart

I suspect a pick from next year would be involved. On straight 2020 value it would take our 23, all three 3rd and a 5th from this year.

THE DRAFT

AFTER THE DRAFT
J) Do nothing

D.

Roll with Stidham and Hoyer for this season. Draft a kid late to be QB3.

Wasting first round draft capital on another quarterback makes little sense. Everyone but Joe Burrow has question marks. If there is a season, the training camps and the preseason will almost certainly be abbreviated, leaving little time for a rookie to digest the notoriously complex Patriot offense. And the problem with two QBs is that only one plays. If you have two good players at almost any other position, they both see the field.
With the 2020 season in doubt, it might be better to wait until the 2021 draft, which offers some intrigue. If the 2020 college season is cancelled, all teams will be picking based on 2019 and maybe 2018 performance, a bigger crapshoot than most years. I always like BB and the Patriots to navigate uncharted waters better than the opposition.
Did Burrow look like a #1 overall pick before his senior season? He has question marks too.

I like the idea of signing Rosen. The kid was given a raw deal in both AZ and MIA. I think he’d thrive in this system if he can accept coaching.

He has fully guaranteed roster bonuses of $1.4M in 2020 and $2.1M in 2021 due in training camp.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes