PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Opinion: Trey Flowers won't be back next year

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrNathanDrake

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Hate to say it.

Someone is gonna give Flowers a lot of money. Like 15+ million per year. And the Pats aren't gonna come close to matching that.

What are the Pats options? Is it possible to tag him and then trade him so the Pats at least to get something in return? What's the back up plan if/when Flowers walks?

I agree. VG player for us, sad to see him go. But it’d be very un BB like...

I agree because the other DE's on the market are going to get Franchise Tagged, leaving Flowers as the best FA DE by default. Unless he gets tagged.

I see Detroit, SF, Miami, Indy, NYJ as possible destinations.

No, intentional tag and trade is no longer allowed.

$15M may be conservative. In fact I think the Patriots might come close to that range, like an offer that’s 13-14M and enough if Flowers wants to keep playing for a winner. I’m concerned he might get an offer for 17-18.

No, intentional tag and trade is no longer allowed.

$15M may be conservative. In fact I think the Patriots might come close to that range, like an offer that’s 13-14M and enough if Flowers wants to keep playing for a winner. I’m concerned he might get an offer for 17-18.

Hasn't intentional tag and trade always been nominally against the rules and teams are just finally starting to realize it makes them look bad to players?

Hate to say it.

Someone is gonna give Flowers a lot of money. Like 15+ million per year. And the Pats aren't gonna come close to matching that.

What are the Pats options? Is it possible to tag him and then trade him so the Pats at least to get something in return? What's the back up plan if/when Flowers walks?
On the contrary, if the price is $15M/yr, I think the Pats easily pay that. I think the doubt starts creeping in above that. How far, if at all, do the Pats stretch the budget beyond that?

Regards,
Chris

Hasn't intentional tag and trade always been nominally against the rules and teams are just finally starting to realize it makes them look bad to players?

That's a good question. I've seen it talked about a lot the last year only, though there has been no CBA.

Dmac was the highest paid safety at one time. For the time it was a huge contract, if its 14-15 mill I think the Pat's keep him.

Let's not go overboard with Trey Flowers he's not Von Miller - K Mack or Julius Peppers in their primes. I think he's a 12Mill Dollar player any Team wants to pay him more... their cap not ours.

Last edited:
Dmac was the highest paid safety at one time. For the time it was a huge contract, if its 14-15 mill I think the Pat's keep him.

14-15Mill That's for a guaranteed 12 sack guy which Trey is not at the moment.

Can't re-sign Seymour [1st time]
Can't re-sign Vollmer
Can't resign Wilfork
Can't re-sign Hightower...

Nincovich had three seasons of 8 sacks each, Flowers hasn't reached 8 in 3 years. You may think other teams watch every Patriots game and notice all the things Flowers does. They don't. He'll be a top free agent, but there will be lots of top free agents. Perspective...

IF Flowers is the best DE on the market this have to be one of the weakest FA DE markets in years. Well kinda similar to last years with Adrian Clayborn. I would caution buyer beware. Yes Flowers have age on his side but he has never had a double digit sack season or seasons. And I don't want to hear sacks are overrated.

Let's not go overboard with Trey Flowers he's not Von Miller - K Mack or Clay Matthews in their primes. I think he's a 12Mill Dollar player any Team wants to pay him more... their cap not ours.

I think the Pats sign him in a second for 12.

But someone could go 14-15 and that's too much.

Other FA options include Frank Clark, Brandon Graham, and Ziggy Ansah.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes