PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

One under-rated part of that last minute - Malcolm Butler

Status
Not open for further replies.

convertedpatsfan

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Malcolm Butler's tackle on Heyward-Bey on 2nd down, keeping him inbounds, was huge. If Heyward-Bey gets out of bounds, Ben can huddle up and potentially be better organized on that fake spike, or run a real play.

Instead, he's hustling with under half a minute to go, the clock ticking, and no timeouts so Ben has to make a quick (and rash) decision there which ultimately blew up in his face.

The Steelers ran a fake spike play against the Browns last year I think, so it looked like we were mostly ready for it. But it may not have mattered without Butler's huge tackle.

As much as allowing that big reception was an all-time failure the remaining plays were full of small but important contributions by everyone.

As you are saying without Butler the Pittsburgh player gets out of bounds after Lee once again fails to sack Ben. On the fake punt the entire defense showed perfect awareness with Richards taking away the quick slant right in front of Ben which gave Rowe enough time to make play on the ball that ended in Harmons hands.

Someone posted a picture of both teams just seconds after the fake-spike snap and the contrast between the two teams is amazing. Patriots knowing their assignments and ready while a bunch of Pittsburgh players are just standing around seemingly confused.

As much as allowing that big reception was an all-time failure the remaining plays were full of small but important contributions by everyone.

As you are saying without Butler the Pittsburgh player gets out of bounds after Lee once again fails to sack Ben. On the fake punt the entire defense showed perfect awareness with Richards taking away the quick slant right in front of Ben which gave Rowe enough time to make play on the ball that ended in Harmons hands.

Someone posted a picture of both teams just seconds after the fake-spike snap and the contrast between the two teams is amazing. Patriots knowing their assignments and ready while a bunch of Pittsburgh players are just standing around seemingly confused.
I'm not sure of the Pitt players were standing around confused or if it was part of the deception. Doesn't matter, pats were ready for it as always.

I think that play was just as big if not bigger than the pick on the next play. Kinda similar to Hightower’s game saving tackling on Lynch in SB49 before Butler’s heroics.

Personally I think throwing it anywhere short of the end zone in that situation is just plain stupid because if you get tackled short then 3rd down becomes a Chinese fire drill. The better choice would have been to throw it away and stop the clock and then take your time on 3rd down for another shot at the end zone.

Wouldn’t be the first time dumb decision making by Tomlin/Rapistburger blew up in their faces. Won’t be the last either.

I think that play was just as big if not bigger than the pick on the next play. Kinda similar to Hightower’s game saving tackling on Lynch in SB49 before Butler’s heroics.

Personally I think throwing it anywhere short of the end zone in that situation is just plain stupid because if you get tackled short then 3rd down becomes a Chinese fire drill. The better choice would have been to throw it away and stop the clock and then take your time on 3rd down for another shot at the end zone.

Wouldn’t be the first time dumb decision making by Tomlin/Rapistburger blew up in their faces. Won’t be the last either.
Troy Brown brought up another similar play that Ben f#cked up though I don' remember it.

Clutch play after clutch play. People forget that he defended Atlanta ‘s last third down attempt before our game tying td, helping to keep them out if fg range during the sb comeback

Malcolm Butler's tackle on Heyward-Bey on 2nd down, keeping him inbounds, was huge. If Heyward-Bey gets out of bounds, Ben can huddle up and potentially be better organized on that fake spike, or run a real play.

Instead, he's hustling with under half a minute to go, the clock ticking, and no timeouts so Ben has to make a quick (and rash) decision there which ultimately blew up in his face.

The Steelers ran a fake spike play against the Browns last year I think, so it looked like we were mostly ready for it. But it may not have mattered without Butler's huge tackle.

You sure that was butler who made that play? I was told that he was checked out and already thinking about free agency in the GDT.

Huge play by Butler. It sped up the Steelers considerably and the fake spike wasn't a good play. As Romo said it should have been an out or fade. Throwing a slant right into traffic was just stupid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News