PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

On this day 1982

Speaking of HOF, the last time I visited the NEP HOF, the snowplow was hanging from the ceiling in there!

Speaking of HOF, the last time I visited the NEP HOF, the snowplow was hanging from the ceiling in there!
The last time I went to the NEP HOF they only had 5 Lombardi trophies. It's been difficult to keep up with them.

It should be on a rotating pedestal with lasers and bikini-clad models. Behind it, the sweeper in action on an endless loop.

Damn, think they only had 3 when I went!
Unfortunately, I think we're going to have plenty of time to catch up if Charlie Parker lets us.

Is he in the NYFL HOF? As far as negativity goes that's a good choice.
I actually don't know... assumed he was.

I wasn't trying to be negative, I've just heard him referred to as "the accumulator."

I actually don't know... assumed he was.

I wasn't trying to be negative, I've just heard him referred to as "the accumulator."
That's exactly what I was looking for. Thanks.

Frank Gore is another Accumulator...though still pretty dam impressive when one considers the typical life span of an NFL RB...

Frank Gore's career rushing total. Great back, don't get me wrong, top 20 and a hall-of-famer. But he was never an Emmitt Smith/ Walter Payton / Jim Brown / Barry Sanders type back that you had to gear your whole defensive game plan around, though his career rushing stats would put him in that crowd (and toward the TOP of that crowd).

Better example: Lenny Wilkins as an NBA coach. 2487 wins! Winning percentage 53.6%. Playoff winning percentage 44.9%. 32 seasons, 1 NBA championship, a 52-30 Seattle team. Lenny Wilkens | Basketball-Reference.com
Is Gore a top 20 all time RB? His longevity has been a sight to behold, but what do his stats say? He exploded for 1600+ yards and 61 receptions in 2006. From 2007 on he only topped 1200 yards twice, his YPC only exceeded 4.5 three times, he only scored 10 TD once, his receiving production has been decent, but never approached his 2006 numbers.

Many of the most dominant players in league history had very short bursts of dominance: Gayle Sayers, Megatron, Patrick Willis, Gronk.

If you define greatness in terms of individual dominance over a short period of time, rather than the amassing of numbers, you reveal a list that runs dozens of names long. Priest Holmes, Tiki Barber, Sean Alexander, Marshawn Lynch, Corey Dillon, Jamaal Charles, LeSean McCoy, Fred Taylor, Ricky WIlliams, Clinton Portis, Matt Forte were all superior runners in their primes, and none among that list show up on anyone's top 20.

I'd compare Gore's case to that of Bert Blylevin, a never-dominant player who happened to be pretty good for so long he accidentally became known as great.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Back