PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Offseason moves...

efin98

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
First they promote Cam Neely.

Then they trade away the 15th pick and Dennis Wideman for Horton and Campbell.

Then they re-sign Recchi and Boychuck.

Next they draft Seguin.

No big name signings yet, but rumors of big trades involving surpluses at goal and center could shake up things more.

So far, so good, No doubt. Let's get Stuart signed and see what the cap situation is. I really, really, don't want to trade Savard. He's relatively affordable, and with a team good enough to win now, trading him to get Seguin third line minutes at center makes the team worse. Why anybody wants to trade our best offensive player when we were 29th or so in goals is beyond me.

Last edited:
So far, so good, No doubt. Let's get Stuart signed and see what the cap situation is. I really, really, don't want to trade Savard. He's relatively affordable, and with a team good enough to win now, trading him to get Seguin third line minutes at center makes the team worse. Why anybody wants to trade our best offensive player when we were 29th or so in goals is beyond me.

I completely agree. It better be a blockbuster deal bringing us a top of the line forward or to me it is just a waste. Why dump a superstar who makes a mere 4 million unless it's just a knocks your socks off type deal? With the lack of centers to be had you except nothing less than that.

If you keep Savard,Bergeron and Sequin together that spells huge potential for goals on every shift and also combines better power play combos.

More signings...

Winger Dainel Paille, a major player on their penalty killing unit, was re-signed for a two year deal.

Former Bruin forward Jeremy Reich was signed to a deal as well.

Winger Jeff LoVecchio re-signed with the Bruins.

Recently acquired center Greg Campbell and winger Blake Wheeler filed for arbitration.

They signed defenseman Nathan McIver to a 2 year dea and defensman Nolan Schaefer to one year deal.

it does seem like the team is stacked, but....i wouldn't go as far as to say the team is good enough to win the cup now. They still had scoring problems even when savard was healthy. Seguin is not going to scoring 36 goals next year, which is what kessel did a few years ago. even patrick kane could only score 20 goals his first season. the b's need more scoring at wing and a number 2 defenseman. i don't think the team is very far from a cup though.

Last edited:
They still need some more scoring on the wing IMO, and maybe one more Dman that can move the puck a little bit. I think this is a big year for a guy like Patrice Bergeron. He needs to step it up this year. 25 goals please Patrice.

Concerning the overload at the center position, out of Savard, Bergeron, and Krejce, I would trade Bergeron. Savard is the team's best offensive player, Krejce is the best two-way center on the team right now, and Bergeron I think is a totally different player after his head injuries.

Concerning the overload at the center position, out of Savard, Bergeron, and Krejce, I would trade Bergeron. Savard is the team's best offensive player, Krejce is the best two-way center on the team right now, and Bergeron I think is a totally different player after his head injuries.

I think he's the most expendable as well. It's sad too, because he looked like he was going to be a terrific 2nd line center for a decade or so. Those injuries hampered him.

I think he's the most expendable as well. It's sad too, because he looked like he was going to be a terrific 2nd line center for a decade or so. Those injuries hampered him.

I don't know if he's the most expendable, but between his age, ability, and contract, he'd definitely bring the most in trade value.

I still don't know what's wrong with breaking in Seguin on the wing. Demote Ryder, and let's get it over with.

They have signed defenseman Andrew Bodnarchuk to a 1-year contract, defenseman Adam McQuaid to a 2 -year contract.

They avoided arbitration and re-signed the recently acquired Campbell to a 2-year deal.

Next up should be a deal with Blake Wheeler, unable to come to terms at the moment due to his honeymoon(hope he had a prenup ;))

Marc Stuart signed a contract extension, terms for him and the Bruins were close enough to not require arbitration.

Bruins ink Campbell, McQuaid and two others - The Boston Globe Bruins Blog - Boston.com

This quote is interesting...
McQuaid's possible upside?

''A top two shutdown defenseman,'' said Chiarelli, his laugh underscoring the whimsy of his statement. ''Right now, I think he's close to [being a third-paring NHL defenseman]. With the defense position, it's a hard craft to learn with all the new rules, but Adam is showing he can learn it. It's looking like he can be a NHL player in very short order, and he may progress from there.''

It seems they feel confident that they replaced the departed Wideman on defense. May explain why they essentially gave him a way on the cheap.

Last edited:

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back