PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Game Day Thread Official Post Game Thread- Pats beat the Falcons

THIS IS OUR LIVE GAME DAY THREAD:

This is where we gather to follow things on Game Day. Obviously, emotions tend to be high so if anyone gets a little crazy, the use of the “Mute” button is encouraged on anyone who may be annoying to you to control your experience and to allow the moderators to also enjoy the game.

At the same time, please take a deep breath before over-reacting for the sake of making this a pleasant experience for everyone.

I'm talking yards allowed
Total yards allowed doesn’t seem as useful to me as average per game. Total yards may be inflated by playing an additional game or one bad game, for example if a key player is dinged up badly enough to be out for a week.

but I’d like to take a deeper look, what site do you prefer as a source? Can they show historical rankings, like where Cleveland ranked before the Pats rolled over them for 184 yards?

EDIT to add: ESPN has CLE eighth (not ninth!) in total rushing yards allowed, with 947 total over ten games. Last week the Pats ran for 184 yards against them. If you back out that anomaly and replace it with their average rushing yards per game allowed (94.7) they would rank fifth. One bad game. Or one good opponent. Made a big difference either way. That’s why I said the average per game is a better measure.

Last edited:
The tag is definitely a strong possibility, I think a longterm deal gets done however if Jackson continues to play like the last few weeks. There is no Gilmore to pay, there might be no Phillips or McCourty to pay. Backload the contract and take on like a 6-7 million cap hit next year. Franchise tag would give Belichick a year time to find the successor.
It's all about supply and demand. CB1s get the big bucks, especially young and rising ones. BB has shown he will pay for CB1 skills if the player is still in his prime. Unfortunately things did not work out with Gilly, but that's because both sides knew he wasn't going to be here after this season.

I mean if we split with the Bills, we likely won't win the tie breaker with them due to the Dolphins loss.

I agree, it’s the conference tiebreakers where they have the advantage right now.

Total yards allowed doesn’t seem as useful to me as average per game. Total yards may be inflated by playing an additional game or one bad game, for example if a key player is dinged up badly enough to be out for a week.

but I’d like to take a deeper look, what site do you prefer as a source? Can they show historical rankings, like where Cleveland ranked before the Pats rolled over them for 184 yards?

EDIT to add: ESPN has CLE eighth (not ninth!) in total rushing yards allowed, with 947 total over ten games. Last week the Pats ran for 184 yards against them. If you back out that anomaly and replace it with their average rushing yards per game allowed (94.7) they would rank fifth. One bad game. Or one good opponent. Made a big difference either way. That’s why I said the average per game is a better measure.
Show me yards per point ... Teams like New England are focused on containment between the 20's, shut down in the Red Zone. Which is better - allowing 250 yards total offense, but giving up 28, or 400 yards and giving up 4 field goals?

Some Bentley love:

I was actually going to comment on him last night. Who would have thought he'd turn into the coverage LB. With HT slowed, and Collins old and on IR, Bentley did a great job overall. He's an impact in the run game, and seems to be moving a lot better in coverage.

PS - HT does better when he basically plays like an off the line DE. Run stuffing in the middle or setting the edge. He just needs to finish his tackles better.

I couldn't care less about yards. Never have.

The 53 yards fg from Folk was crucial and...again...he did not missed it...
He is doing an excellent job

What a domination...what a win...5 consecutives now...

This patriot team looks real good !

They also ran very well against the 4th best run defense in Cleveland. The big X factor is Trent Brown.

The whole blocking unit is the real X factor. Everyone significantly improved doing poor job in September. OL got starters healthy.
Look at Henry then and now. Look at WRs then and now. Or look at Jakub then and now.

The difference between the Cleveland game and the Falcons game offensively was 3rd down conversions, and that’s mostly about execution.
It's also about down and distance. A lot of penalties to overcome last night - another aspect of no practice rearing its head.

Anyone that thinks you can get deep analytics regarding the play and coaching from a Thursday night game doesnt know NFL football.

Jonnu just seems like he suddenly isn't good at football.
That's a pretty damning statement. It's not like he just quit on a route like the all-world TE on the other side of the field.

Franchise tag is $15M or so, he's worth every penny of it, he's not going anywhere next season.
That's a bold prediction. I think it's a definite possibility, but guaranteed?

I'm not so sure - too many other variables both positive (long term deal) and negative (injury for example or many other needs, limiting flexibility).

I don't think Tennessee will lose another game other than maybe against NE. The last month they've defeated KC, Indy, NO, Buffalo, and LA. If they were going to lose another game, it would have been during this stretch. The only game left that I see that Tennessee may lose other than NE is vs SF.
TN is playing Patriots football. Fundamentally sound, using what they have, winning in the trenches.

This game coming up is WAY harder than some of us are making it out to be just because they've lost a couple "name" players. As a TEAM they are still very formidable.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Back