PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Official Post Game Thread - Pats beat Jete

Status
Not open for further replies.
Other than that pesky time out that messed up your theory.
But you can’t call a timeout in a middle of play. The referee blew the whistle when the Jets touched Meyers with 3 seconds left then they called a timeout. The thing I didn’t think about like Elijah pointed out is that the ref would stop the play if they think Meyer was giving himself up.

That had nothing to do with the timeout. If no Jets touched Meyers or the refs don’t think he is giving himself up, the clocks is running out and you can’t call a timeout.

we had this argument many time sb ;)

it’s easier in my opinion, to have a top QB and plug pieces around him than have top pieces across the roster but missing the important one.

the teams winning a SB with an average QB are the exceptions. And while it happens sometimes, it is not sustainable.

if you have the chance to draft a top QB you do it and you worry about the rest later.
Did we? Don't remember.

The defense atm isn’t built to defend modern NFL offenses. They need a major rebuild - up front, better and faster linebackers and another piece in the secondary won't hurt either. Dugger and Uche were good starts hopefully. I doubt Chung and Hightower will play another down for the Patriots. Losing out and getting a top QB won’t fix all of that. If the Pats are in the top 5 they should seriously consider a trade down.

Even a top QB isn't a guarantee of anything. Mark Sanchez went near the top of the draft. Is a guy like that taking us to the SB? I think they can win with a guy closer to Jimmy Garoppolo than Tom Brady and a rebuilt defense.

Cam is not the way forward. Do actually like having a QB with 2 passing TDs in 7 games?

Brady had virtually the same WRs and TEs so you can quit blaming them for Cams poor play.
Yeah, and Brady was pretty terrible with them.

LOL, we just went from the 5th overall pick to the 11th pick with the Folk FG...thankfully, not too many winnable games left
Was mahomes closer to 5 or 11 ?

Read a topic about Flacco being a HOFer.

Definitely not, but his numbers aren't terrible. If he started and took the Jets to the playoffs then maybe.

But you can’t call a timeout in a middle of play. The referee blew the whistle when the Jets touched Meyers with 3 seconds left then they called a timeout. The thing I didn’t think about like Elijah pointed out is that the ref would stop the play if they think Meyer was giving himself up.

That had nothing to do with the timeout. If no Jets touched Meyers or the refs don’t think he is giving himself up, the clocks is running out and you can’t call a timeout.
The WR "gave himself up" by not getting up, no need to be touched.

Did we? Don't remember.

The defense atm isn’t built to defend modern NFL offenses. They need a major rebuild - up front, better and faster linebackers and another piece in the secondary won't hurt either. Dugger and Uche were good starts hopefully. I doubt Chung and Hightower will play another down for the Patriots. Losing out and getting a top QB won’t fix all of that. If the Pats are in the top 5 they should seriously consider a trade down.

Even a top QB isn't a guarantee of anything. Mark Sanchez went near the top of the draft. Is a guy like that taking us to the SB? I think they can win with a guy closer to Jimmy Garoppolo than Tom Brady and a rebuilt defense.
You can miss on everything. You can trade down and miss on your pick also.

in my mind, i agree that you don’t pick a QB for the sake of drafting a QB and you don’t like the QBs then yeah trade down for some picks but if you pick in the top 10 and there is a QB you really like it is a no brainer for me.

But honestly trading away of a top 10 pick will not bring much value.

The WR "gave himself up" by not getting up, no need to be touched.
I just rewatch the play. In fact Meyers didn’t give himself up, he had to get to his knees to catch the ball and was in the process to turn around and get up when the Jets arrives

I just rewatch the play. In fact Meyers didn’t give himself up, he had to get to his knees to catch the ball and was in the process to turn around and get up when the Jets arrives

Looked like a feet first slide to me. By rule that's giving yourself up. Bill probably would have won a challenge if the Jets let him go.

Can't really fault the Jets anyway they're not looking at the clock as it happens, that's a bang-bang play and instinct says contact the runner.

This QB thing really is wild. I understand teams might not want to draft a QB unless they're convinced, but the history of the draft shows that there is no crystal ball. If you put the evaluation of Aaron Rodgers, Dan Marino and Patrick Mahomes up against Jeff George, people would think you were crazy for passing on George and selecting one of the other 3.

You can miss on everything. You can trade down and miss on your pick also.

in my mind, i agree that you don’t pick a QB for the sake of drafting a QB and you don’t like the QBs then yeah trade down for some picks but if you pick in the top 10 and there is a QB you really like it is a no brainer for me.

But honestly trading away of a top 10 pick will not bring much value.
It depends who they like and who their trade partner likes. Trade down of our top 10 first and second on the value chart should net two middle first round picks.

Wrong

Looked like a feet first slide to me. By rule that's giving yourself up. Bill probably would have won a challenge if the Jets let him go.

Can't really fault the Jets anyway they're not looking at the clock as it happens, that's a bang-bang play and instinct says contact the runner.

You can't challenge inside 2-minutes. And he wasn't "giving himself up". He had to go to his knees to make the catch and was trying to get up when contacted by the Jets.

You can't challenge inside 2-minutes. And he wasn't "giving himself up". He had to go to his knees to make the catch and was trying to get up when contacted by the Jets.
Ok but still looked like a slide to me after catch. That is giving yourself up. It's not clear by replay if he was getting up to run or getting up because he believed he was down anyway.

I doubt many players anyway would have the instinct to back off.

Jets played the Bills tough too. Division games can be weird like that. Remember the 2004 Dolphins game?

It was a good comeback win regardless of who they were playing. This Sunday will tell us a lot about whether this team has it in them to make a late push for the playoffs or to be spoiler for other teams that are.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST