PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

PATRIOTS NEWS Official 2024 Free Agency Thread - Day 3

Breaking New England Patriots Team News
Status
Not open for further replies.
The question is how much would the Chargers actually save against the cap if they traded or released any of these players?
Because all 3 are on the last year of their deal, trading or cutting is the same result.

Mack - 23.250M
Allen - 23.1M
Williams - $20M

So, even if they trade/Cut one of them, they need to free up more money. Anywhere from $2.75-$5M just to get under the cap. They need to free up more to sign addition FA and their draft picks (eventually)

$23.25M for Mack, $14.39M for Bosa, $23.1M for Allen, $20.0M for Williams. Same for both trade or release on all 4 players.

In terms of other moves...

they could renegotiate starting RT Trey Pipkins salary to signing bonus to save $4.1M.

They could do the same with star S Derwin James to save $7.75M.

They could release reserve DL Morgan Fox to save $3.5M.

They could release WR Josh Palmer to save $3.1M.

Herbert could be renegotiated to save $3.9M.

Just an FYI. Only the Patriots and Commanders have to ask permission to convert Salary to Signing bonus. Every other team can do it without permission because of how the teams have worded their contracts.

Because all 3 are on the last year of their deal, trading or cutting is the same result.

Mack - 23.250M
Allen - 23.1M
Williams - $20M

So, even if they trade/Cut one of them, they need to free up more money. Anywhere from $2.75-$5M just to get under the cap. They need to free up more to sign addition FA and their draft picks (eventually)
What's the cap hit to us if we trade for either Allen or Williams?

32 NFL GMs disagree with you. Otherwise Fields would be traded already. But what do the professional GMs know about football players?
Cousin, Not much. Did you know upon average 31% of every NFL roster is made up of free agents or trades? i.e. GM Failures at first blush who were missed or square pegs in a round hole......
The Draft upon average has got a 17%-19% success rate that the players reach their next contract?. Actually, the worse Teams keep the most picks because they have to.
So no...that is b.s. GM's gamble and actually listen to some high dollar scouts who pound on the table for their "guys" , they listen to and read media opinions and many, not all........ read these forums for opinions.
So if you success rate is 17% in your job, would you be fired? It's the "good old boy network" or the next shiny college guy for the front office. Look at Wolf and Groh.....Thanks Dad. I would not hire either of them to fill out a roster on a Pop Warner Team. Who is responsible for our roster 2023....the worse in the League?We all forget they had their hands in this roster for years. BB was hung out to dry as the fall guy. Yes he had the final say but it was their handywork. Now we look up to them as the savior and they make probably $250k per year? That rots.

Another point. It is said this is a copycat League. That tells you everything.
DW Toys

Probably BS, but theoretically if Wolf had worked something out with Cincinnati in a trade just recently that's not public yet and Higgins told Judon, it could be true.

But probably not.

Our 3rd is so close to a 2nd. It could be used to help move our 2nd up into Round one or to draft a good prospect in Top 67.
I also expect that with the depth at WR, a really great prospect could still be had there.

It's their listed salary. 18 or 17 million.

Don't forget the roster bonuses. Allen has $5M and Williams has $3M due on Friday if he's on a roster. If we trade for them we'd be taking that on too. So it's $23.1M for Allena nd $20.0M for Williams.

There's an option for LA to eat some of the money too. They could convert $10m of Williams' salary to a signing bonus, retain that on their own cap, and then trade him to us where we'd only have to pay him $10M. They'd do that, in theory, to get an actual pick return rather than just pure cap savings.

I have moved on: Him and Mike Williams are identical Players and Williams should come a lot cheaper Wolf have a plan B thanks to the Chargers GM from Hell who makes BB the GM look like Mother Teresa.

I have moved on: Him and Mike Williams are identical Players and Williams should come a lot cheaper Wolf have a plan B thanks to the Chargers GM from Hell who makes BB the GM look like Mother Teresa.
Mike Williams and or Kennan Allen and we are kissing Wolfs feet.

Calvin Ridley on potential return to the Jags: “I learned these guys, built relationships with them. I don’t really care to learn other people and plays and all that other stuff right now.”

That doesn't sound much like a guy I want on the Patriots.
One can only hope.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe